PDA

View Full Version : Mapping basics

FlameRush
03-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Hello, this is for the basic of mapping, you can find some tutorials, or email Micheal Harris(Yes some of his docs, and help, and tuts are in the virtual tree, and cd(MEH tuts)).
Serious zone has some advanced, and beginner mapping tuts, Serious editing has some too.
Here are some.

When you load up the editor, the virtual tree is on the left(You can put it on the right(I think)), well you have stuff like entities, and extras too, however some of the entitiesaint in there, you will have to download MEHs help docs for SE, you drag the entity to where you want, then drop, press Esc to glide hrough the level to where you want, anpress Esc again to go back to editing, the numpad has 10 diffrent views in the editor.
0. this shows everything thats in editor, not fog, haze, but the playermarkers, and entities.
1. Shows 4 windows, 3 are 2d, and one is 3d, and has all the stuff like playermarkers removed, but there, they are invisable.
2. Shows the same stuff, but the sectors(Thts the color you can do in CSG, which is optimal), is colored in the 3d window.
3. Shows everything in 4 windows, which is detailed(You can see the texture).
4. Removes textures(For that view), and shows the lighting of the level.
5. One of my fav, one window, sector 3d, you can glide through the level with lines.
6. My fav, one window, and evrything is shown, as what it would appear ingame, not like entites, you can see fog.
7. Same as 5, but you can see lines.
8. Same as 6, but removes fog, and haze, and shows lines(Like corners, ETC).
9. Thats the big window, the shows no fog, no haze, but only entities.

Pressing s will goto sector mod, pressing p will goto polygon
mode, and pressing e willl goto entity mode, and . will goto vectoring mode.
Sector mode lets you add fog(you need to set it up), and haze, and gravity, also the contnet(Like water, lava ETC).
Polygon, thats for sizing textures, and seting stuff, like shade will make water if you make a sector with water, and a texture, but you have to set it translucent.
Entity mode, you dont know that, you dont know nothing, thats your editing basic mode, use polygon mode when you learn a little more, cause you could screw your level up.
Vectoring, I dont know, you can split sectors in the editor, but I dont know how, I know more than this, any help, I am here.