PDA

View Full Version : networking question

Grimmy
04-10-2003, 04:38 AM
I have the Asus A7N8X mobo, and it has 2 LAN or ethernet ports. I have a laptop from work home to work on, it's my supervisors. I am wondering if I could connect the laptop to the other port on my asus mobo, and be able to use the internet on this laptop. I don't need it for very long, just to download some stuff and such. Is this possible?? Both systems running XP, laptop running home edition and my rig running pro.

Thanks for the help ;)

JIMINATOR
04-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Apr 10 2003, 04:38 AM
I have the Asus A7N8X mobo, and it has 2 LAN or ethernet ports. I have a laptop from work home to work on, it's my supervisors. I am wondering if I could connect the laptop to the other port on my asus mobo, and be able to use the internet on this laptop. I don't need it for very long, just to download some stuff and such. Is this possible?? Both systems running XP, laptop running home edition and my rig running pro.

Thanks for the help ;)
yeah, in theory it is easy.
you will need a crossover cable though, and although they should
be available for $7-$8, most places sell them for $25+
your xp system has to recognize both ethernet ports,
and if you are looking at your network properties
(right click my network places, properties)
the two adapters should be listed (as networked, bridged)
along with something called a 'network bridge'.
if that is not the case, you can select them both,
right click, and choose bridge connections.
if your internet connection drops, then you need to delete
the bridge. I am sure it is fixable, I just don't know how,
and haven't bothered to figure it out.
Secondly, you have to enable internet connection sharing
on the network adapter that is receiving the internet.
anyway, at that point with the crossover cable hooking up
the two computers, you can share internet. if you want to
share files, you will need to have netbios loaded on each
system.

good luck

Grimmy
04-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Then that is my problem, I don't have a crossover cable, just a straight through one :bandhead:

I been messing with some settings and well I made a wrong turn, and then I lost internet on my puter :bawling: Thank God for system restore :D Only went back to yesterday :jammin:

I think I am only making it harder on myself for this stuff, by having my rig on a router, and then trying to plug this laptop and get it't internet from my rig. I think I am just going to plug it right into the modem, get the stuff I need real quick and then be able to plug it into the router. Will give it a try and see what happens.

OUTLAWS Tip
04-10-2003, 05:59 AM
If the Laptop has a cd-rom you could just download on your pc and burn a copy of the files you need for the laptop.

Grimmy
04-10-2003, 06:14 AM
I thought about that, but I can't do stuff like windows update and all that. This laptop doesn't have a floppy either. I ended up and connected the cable modem to it, configured it and all, and then plugging my router back in and I am connected on both of them right now.

Now I know why I didn't go into networking and all that fun stuff, but XP makes it much easier to do it for idiots like me :rolleyes: :D

Saretta
04-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Sauron has the same mobo I think.
One ethernet adapter is a 10/100 Mbit and the other one a 1 Gbit. We tried to connect my computer first to the 1 Gbit one and it didn't work because I only have a 10/100 Mbit network card in my comp. Also I haven't seen a 1Gbit networkcable yet :(.
We can only connect my computer to the 10/100 Mbit adapter on his mobo.
Before u buy a crossover cable u should check if the cards fit together...

Grimmy
04-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by BainSidhe@Apr 10 2003, 03:00 AM
Sauron has the same mobo I think.
One ethernet adapter is a 10/100 Mbit and the other one a 1 Gbit. We tried to connect my computer first to the 1 Gbit one and it didn't work because I only have a 10/100 Mbit network card in my comp. Also I haven't seen a 1Gbit networkcable yet :(.
We can only connect my computer to the 10/100 Mbit adapter on his mobo.
Before u buy a crossover cable u should check if the cards fit together...
They do, I just don't have a cross over cable. I think that I would have gotten it to work if I had that.

Also I think, taking a stab at this one, but cat 6 cable supports 1Gbit transfer speeds, but it hasn't been out that long to become really popular yet.

Welll I am drained, this laptop killed so much of my time and I have been busy getting all 27 updates from mircosoft :bandhead: :online2long:

OUTLAWS Behind You?
04-10-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Apr 9 2003, 11:43 PM
by having my rig on a router,
If your on a router, does your router have any more switch or hub ports? Most routers come with at least 4 switch ports. If so, just plug your laptop directly into one of your router's switch ports. If your using DHCP on your router, set your laptop's network setting to use DHCP and your set. Otherwise you'll have to manually set all of your TCP/IP settings.

Grimmy
04-10-2003, 05:06 PM
It does Behind You, but with my mediacom cable, I had to plug the modem directly to the laptop and register it with them, then I could plug into the routher and be all connected. I got all that I wanted done, done last night, except some simple stuff which I finished this morning. I need to get me a crossover cable from work and try that from my rig again some time. The only reason that I wanted to do that, was that I didn't have a cat 5 cable long enough to set the lap top next to my rig, so that I could work on both at the same time. Had to switch chairs and go across the room :wacko: What a work out, running back and forth all night last night :cool: