PDA

View Full Version : Norton Ghost

Goober
04-22-2003, 12:28 AM
I am wanting to copy my smaller drive to my new larger drive. Mainly so I don't have to reload winxp (is this possible) and all of my work related software and data files. Will this work? I mean will my OS work on the new drive?

FUS1ON
04-22-2003, 12:34 AM
Goober i've used it with Win98SE and it worked fine, Not sure about XP.

Grimmy
04-22-2003, 01:02 AM
One thing you might want to do, connect the 2 HD's together. Set the big one as the master, and the smaller one as the slave. Then the smaller one will just show up as another drive. Then you can use explorer to copy everything that you want from one drive to the other, and quickly too. ;)

Slice
04-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Um Grimmy I think he wants to duplicate his drive including operating system. So that won't work.

JIMINATOR
04-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Goober DOA@Apr 21 2003, 07:28 PM
I am wanting to copy my smaller drive to my new larger drive. Mainly so I don't have to reload winxp (is this possible) and all of my work related software and data files. Will this work? I mean will my OS work on the new drive?
Hi, yeah, you can use the explorer method to copy all of the files over to the new drive.
Do you have the old drive set up as NTFS?
If not, then you can use the disk that comes with the new drive
to copy everything over and not worry about it from there.
With NTFS I find a lot of locked files and permission issues,
makes it difficult to copy things over, and very difficult to make it a boot drive.
It's probably easy to do, but i prefer to reinstall, and have not spent the time to figure it out...
anyway, good luck, and let us know what happens.

Jim

Grimmy
04-22-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Slice@Apr 21 2003, 08:11 PM
Um Grimmy I think he wants to duplicate his drive including operating system. So that won't work.
:P @Slice

It was worth a try. Sorry, I am tired today :wacko:

Xp only took me like an hour to install. Went fairly smooth, just SP1 took a while :drink:

Bones
04-22-2003, 01:18 AM
Depends on which version you use. Ghost 2003 handles XP but I don't know about previous versions. Explorer will copy but the result won't be a bootable drive.

Goober
04-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Bones@Apr 21 2003, 08:18 PM
Depends on which version you use. Ghost 2003 handles XP but I don't know about previous versions. Explorer will copy but the result won't be a bootable drive.
I would be using the 2003 version, and yes I would want a bootable drive so that should work.
Thanks everyone for you help....(scurrying off to office depot)
I will let you know how it works