PDA

View Full Version : Speculation for computers in 2012

AMD-Fan
10-07-2002, 05:25 AM
Hey All, im new to the forum but i thought it would be fun to speculate on what computers will be like ten years from today.

Ethernet will become a standard household internet connection. 1000MBit being the norm, and wireless buzzing at around 1000MBps, but only as a premium service much like cable or dsl because of the convinience.

Motherboards will do away with copper and use tiny strands of a polymer much like fiber optic today but 20 times the bandwidth.

Quantum computers will become an emerging technology affordable by major companies, ISP's and the government. Speeds will start off at 400GHz and increase exponentially after that. After a few more years of mastering the technology, quantum computing would become a household item like the coffee pot and the TV

Hard drives will no longer use standard platters but will be written to on the molecular layer, much like quantum computers. Hard drives of 500 Terabytes being the norm.

Storage media will use the same circular shape we all have come to love today, but will be able to handle 1 terabyte of info on a CD

You may look at these suggestions and say this will never come to fruition and why would we need this much space. Just think back to what Bill Gates said about only ever needing 640K of memory, and look back at your old computer magazines and see what "top of the line" was 5-7 years ago. You never know, in 10 years, they could probably exceed my projections. Lets just keep in mind that this is just for fun, hehe.

OUTLAWS The Machine
10-07-2002, 02:27 PM
Welcome to the forums AMD-Fan. I bet I'm a bigger AMD fan than you. :wink:

I bet they will have some sweet ass FPS games with a system like that. :shock: LOL

Sacrifice
10-07-2002, 06:22 PM
welcome!!! 0X lol jkjk

Sean123
10-07-2002, 07:28 PM
Thats really hard to say if those will come true .. but IMO I dont think it will be half that in 10years .. well not for household computers anyways ....

OUTLAWS The Machine
10-07-2002, 07:44 PM
[quote:06bb41f47e="Sean123"]Thats really hard to say if those will come true .. but IMO I dont think it will be half that in 10years .. well not for household computers anyways ....[/quote:06bb41f47e]

For my household it will be the minimun requirements. LOL

AMD-Fan
10-08-2002, 05:40 AM
I think that some of the things could become reality, like the 1000MBit connections to every home and such. The industry is allways changing. every 12-18 months something is becoming obsolete and means that the new stuff is here to kick ass more often than is should. I sure as hell didn't think that 6 years after i bought my Packard Hell computer that had 120MHz with 6gig hd that i would have a computer that run at an effective speed of about 18 times that with 160 gigs to play around with. So there is a chance hehe....

FUS1ON
10-08-2002, 08:03 AM
Interesting thread AMD-Fan. Welcome to the forum. :wink: It would be neat to tuck your post away and read it in 10 years to see how close you came. I can see most of that happening. Think back to the computer that was used to send man to the moon. My dad worked for IBM (33 yrs) and what filled a 40'x40' room back then now fits in the palm of your hand. We have come along way baby!

AMD-Fan
10-08-2002, 08:17 PM
shogun, does that mean you get free computers and such? hehe

FUS1ON
10-08-2002, 08:51 PM
Nope, No free stuff. :(

BTW AMD-Fan, That's a really nice system you have. :wink:

Nobody
10-08-2002, 09:55 PM
Things could be advanced that far but there is one thing in the way. The manufacturers would prefer to keep everyone on there little upgrade cycles to keep the cash flowing. It would do them no good to put out a pc that would keep up with things for 10 years.

Slice
10-08-2002, 10:50 PM
Well actually I see things different. With the advancements in plasma technology, I think we will see computers built right in to the plasma screens. Ultimately I would love to have my computer, TV, and stereo system combined so I can have one kick ass media center. A place where I can watch my DVDs, play my games, Listen to MP3s, Surf the net, Video phone and so on. I also believe that there will not be the need for as much storage capacity. If you can obtain such high transfer speeds, files can reside on master servers and you would just access them from the server they reside on. I do believe that some sort of wireless access will be the wave of the future.