PDA

View Full Version : UNLAGGING THE GOLD MAPS!!! Slash - read this!!!

JIMINATOR
06-27-2003, 05:18 AM
Ok dudes, this is the the problem and the fix!
I could test lag, by starting a gold server in a dos box, then joining in a lan game.
Things were big time laggy - on my own server.
After applying the fix, the lag is totally gone and things are smooth as they
are with regular sam sessions.

I think it helps me when I join the gold server, but Slash needs to apply also
to get rid of the server side lag.

The levels are stuck in a .gro file, which is really a zip file.
Everytime sam needs a texture or something from within the .gro file, it has to uncompress it.
The fix is to first stop sam, rename the gro file to a zip file, and unzip to the same directory.
Afterward all the levels should be in the
C:\Program Files\Croteam\Serious Sam - The Second Encounter\Levels\LevelsMP\Deathmatch
directory. If you screw up, you can always rename the zip file back to a .gro file and no harm
done, otherwise it can be left as is as a backup.
This can prolly be done for any other .gro files.

Hmmm, I wonder if the current sucky patch adds a bunch of gro files???

:wootrock: :wootrock: :wootrock: :wootrock: :wootrock:

Snip3r
06-27-2003, 05:26 AM
MY GOD I THINK WE FOUND THE NEXT EINSTEIN!
http://www.th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~jr/gif/phys/einst_20.jpg
I see the resemblence, thanks alot Jim, I need to do this with some other maps that are laggy :)

V98ci
06-27-2003, 05:28 AM
Ok Jim. I have the maps but I can't rename the gro file. :bandhead: :bandhead:

JIMINATOR
06-27-2003, 05:31 AM
in the folder, click tools then folder options then the view tab and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" and click ok.

then highlite the file and press f2...

Sirc
06-27-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by V98ci@Jun 27 2003, 01:28 AM
Ok Jim. I have the maps but I can't rename the gro file. :bandhead: :bandhead:
Why not? Are they read only protected? If so then right click on them, go to properties, and turn of the read only protection.

V98ci
06-27-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Sirc+Jun 27 2003, 12:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sirc @ Jun 27 2003, 12:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--V98ci@Jun 27 2003, 01:28 AM
Ok Jim. I have the maps but I can&#39;t rename the gro file. :bandhead:&nbsp; :bandhead:
Why not? Are they read only protected? If so then right click on them, go to properties, and turn of the read only protection. [/b][/quote]
It won&#39;t let me rename and the read only is not checked in properties. All I get when I right click is open, cut, copy, delete and properties. Under properties I am not able to change anything. The read only is not checked. :WTF:

merkwannabe
06-27-2003, 06:24 AM
Could this brilliant technique reduce lagggg in Yodeller?

JIMINATOR
06-27-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by merkwannabe@Jun 27 2003, 02:24 AM
Could this brilliant technique reduce lagggg in Yodeller?
no, it isn&#39;t in a gro file. time for a computer upgrade I am afraid....

JIMINATOR
06-27-2003, 06:28 AM
BTW: V98ci, did you try doing what I said? and you can&#39;t have sam running in the background.
if you can view the .gro extension, you should be able to change it by hilighting the file and pressing f2

JIMINATOR
06-27-2003, 07:32 AM
Hey Slash, as an experiment, can you try unzipping all of the .gro files on one of the boxes?

ForrestFunk
06-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jun 27 2003, 06:18 AM
[...]After applying the fix, the lag is totally gone and things are smooth as they
are with regular sam sessions.[...]
sorry, but :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: