PDA

View Full Version : Confused noob also.....

Sepra
07-01-2003, 03:10 AM
Ok tonight I played my first games of Quake and was so confused :bandhead: Here are some questions that I have.

How do you grapple?
What is that syringe thing and what's it's purpose?
When your frozen....is that counted as a death?
Same question if you freeze someone.....is that a frag?

I may have more questions as I play...... :bandhead:

OUTLAWS The Machine
07-01-2003, 03:18 AM
You can set the grapple in your game setup if you are in a game of freezetag, hit escape, then go into your setup, or if you start the game, select mods, select freezetag, then go into your controls setup.

The syringe is a med kit. To use it hit your enter or use button and it will heal you. There is also a personal transport in some levels. Looks like a silver "T". Use the same way. Hit enter and it takes you to a different part of the map. Use this if you are in trouble and getting your butt kicked. ;)

If you are frozen that is a death. If you kill someone that is a frag. But your team does not score unless all of the opposing team is frozen. :thumbs:

JIMINATOR
07-01-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Sepra@Jun 30 2003, 11:10 PM
Ok tonight I played my first games of Quake and was so confused :bandhead: Here are some questions that I have.

How do you grapple?
What is that syringe thing and what's it's purpose?
When your frozen....is that counted as a death?
Same question if you freeze someone.....is that a frag?

I may have more questions as I play...... :bandhead:
for grapple, go into the menu and bind it to a key,
use whatever you use for the knife to make it easy
frozen = dead/frag
entire team frozen = point for other team
syringe = well, something special that you use a key to activate

once you get through frustrating yourself with the slomo, come join us for some sam! :devil:

and oh yeah, do not try to knife anyone with the wussy glove...

and about the shotgun & rockets, i dunno if you can shoot them,
but the shotty is a wussy gun also

and lastly, stay away from the machine, he is even more lethal in Q3! :thumbs:

FASTway
07-01-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jun 30 2003, 08:22 PM

and about the shotgun & rockets, i dunno if you can shoot them,
but the shotty is a wussy gun also

lmao,

shotty = lots of frags in Quake. You just have to know how to aim.

And yeah stay away from the Machine. :rofl:

JIMINATOR
07-01-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by FASTway@Jun 30 2003, 11:48 PM
lmao,

shotty = lots of frags in Quake. You just have to know how to aim.

And yeah stay away from the Machine. :rofl:
lol, what do I know, I am the ice cube man in quake! :jammin:

Now I can finally get some Sam wins now that you biotches have left!!!

:wootrock: :wootrock: :wootrock:

Sepra
07-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Jun 30 2003, 11:18 PM
You can set the grapple in your game setup if you are in a game of freezetag, hit escape, then go into your setup, or if you start the game, select mods, select freezetag, then go into your controls setup.

The syringe is a med kit. To use it hit your enter or use button and it will heal you. There is also a personal transport in some levels. Looks like a silver "T". Use the same way. Hit enter and it takes you to a different part of the map. Use this if you are in trouble and getting your butt kicked. ;)

If you are frozen that is a death. If you kill someone that is a frag. But your team does not score unless all of the opposing team is frozen. :thumbs:
ok great! Two more questions. For now anyway :P

Now......If your frozen and someone unthaws you does it still counts as a death?

The number pad doesnt work when you type the server IP. In Sam I set a few weapons to the #pad. Will that not work in Quake?

Sepra
07-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR@Jun 30 2003, 11:22 PM
once you get through frustrating yourself with the slomo, come join us for some sam! :devil:

I dont think it's a slow game at all. I was expecting the speed to be more like UT but I think the speed is comparable to Sam without lag.

oh and I was damn lucky Machine was on my team last night :P

OUTLAWS The Machine
07-01-2003, 12:27 PM
If you get unthawed you were still considered a frag for the person that froze you, but the opposing team would not have scored a point.

OUTLAWS The Machine
07-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Quake is faster paced with the grapple then Sam is. Without the grapple it is slower.

OUTLAWS The Machine
07-01-2003, 12:29 PM
The number pad does not work for me either when typing in IP. Not tried to bind it to weapons though since I use a the tactical board.

Sepra
07-01-2003, 12:30 PM
Phew....thanx for the help guys. I had no idea what I was doing last night. At least now I know a little better on how the scoring goes.

melonhead
07-02-2003, 03:50 AM
Hey Sepra, welcome to Quake. The keypad does indeed work for movement and binds :thumbs: , it's what I use.

Sepra
07-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanx Melonhead!! :thumbs:

Sepra
07-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Two more questions.

Ok tha lava in Q3 sucks......you die almost instantly.

1) I was trying to jump out but it seemed impossible. Is there a way to get out of there before dying?

2) Twice in game someone casted a vote? What is that and what keys do you use to respond? :wacko:

SALvation
07-03-2003, 12:52 PM
You can vote on a number of things like changing the current map or kicking a player. It is done with:

/callvote XXXX (where XXXX is a command like "mapnext")

You can vote with:

/voteyes
/voteno

I'm sure someone has a list of everything you can vote on.

FUS1ON
07-03-2003, 02:14 PM
1 Yes, But it depends on how deep it is and how far you are from the edge. If it's shallow and not too far keep hopping. Or use the grappling hook.
2 Sal is right there's several things you can vote on like game settings, Map change, Kick problem players, etc..... But they were prob'ly voting on a map change. The easiest way to vote is F1 button for Yes, F2 button for No.

OUTLAWS The Machine
07-03-2003, 05:13 PM
If you grapple quick you can get out of the lave before you die. Did you get your grapple working yet?

Sepra
07-04-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Jul 3 2003, 01:13 PM
If you grapple quick you can get out of the lave before you die. Did you get your grapple working yet?
Yes and I've been trying to practice it. Sometimes I'll grapple somewhere and find that I have nowhere to land and end up dying. I tried letting go and grappling somewhere else quickly before falling but I cant. :bandhead: I need so much practice at this.

OUTLAWS Spike
07-04-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Sepra+Jul 3 2003, 06:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sepra @ Jul 3 2003, 06:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--OUTLAWS The Machine@Jul 3 2003, 01:13 PM
Yes and I&#39;ve been trying to practice it. Sometimes I&#39;ll grapple somewhere and find that I have nowhere to land and end up dying. I tried letting go and grappling somewhere else quickly before falling but I cant. :bandhead: I need so much practice at this. [/b][/quote]
2 things you can do Sepra:
#1 is the obvious, keep your health up. :jammin:
#2 is when you grapple to a place that is too high to drop from, work/grapple your way to a spot, so that when you let go of the GH you won&#39;t fall far enough to kill yourself. :wootrock:

Sepra
07-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Spike+Jul 3 2003, 09:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS Spike @ Jul 3 2003, 09:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Sepra@Jul 3 2003, 06:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--OUTLAWS The Machine@Jul 3 2003, 01:13 PM
Yes and I&#39;ve been trying to practice it. Sometimes I&#39;ll grapple somewhere and find that I have nowhere to land and end up dying. I tried letting go and grappling somewhere else quickly before falling but I cant. :bandhead: I need so much practice at this.
2 things you can do Sepra:
#1 is the obvious, keep your health up. :jammin:
#2 is when you grapple to a place that is too high to drop from, work/grapple your way to a spot, so that when you let go of the GH you won&#39;t fall far enough to kill yourself. :wootrock: [/b][/quote]
:w00t: ahhh&#33; That would make sense Spike&#33; Thanx for the tip&#33; :thumbs:

FUS1ON
07-04-2003, 01:39 PM
You don&#39;t ever have to drop, Just grapple back to the ground if you are up high or while in mid-air like from a long/high jump so you don&#39;t take fall damage. Also while you are frozen, If you keep clicking your fire button and you can watch other players and the paths they take to items.

Hopefully if they are good teammates they are coming to thaw you and you won&#39;t have watch too long. :D

Sepra
07-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Is there a way to tell where my frozen teamates are when I&#39;m still alive? And what is that &#39;timeout&#39; in the middle of a game?

Sepra
07-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Dont worry guys.......I think I&#39;m finally getting the whole game :P I&#39;m used to Sam......you just frag. :lol:

OUTLAWS Spike
07-05-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Sepra@Jul 5 2003, 07:20 AM
Is there a way to tell where my frozen teamates are when I&#39;m still alive? And what is that &#39;timeout&#39; in the middle of a game?
here you go Sepra&#33; :thumbs:

Draw Team Overlay - Go to Setup/ Game Options and select a location on your screen you would like for it to be located (upper right, upper left, etc....) This is very handy because you can see things like where your teammates are frozen at so you can thaw them out (Stand beside them for 3 seconds to thaw them), What their strength is, How close they are to unthawing on their own, What power ups they have.

About the timeout, I don&#39;t know&#33; :WTF:

Sepra
07-05-2003, 01:30 PM
:thumbs:

Sirc
07-05-2003, 04:02 PM
It&#39;ll be a while before the overlay will helpful for me. I need to learn the maps before I&#39;ll be able to run to someone and unfreeze them.. I have no idea where the locations listed in the overlay are&#33; :P

FUS1ON
07-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Class your reading assignment for today is LINK (http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=58&t=16928) There&#39;s gonna be a test tommorrow. :P

FUS1ON
07-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Here&#39;s what the Team Overlay looks like

Sepra
07-05-2003, 07:11 PM
:wootrock: That&#39;s exactly what I was looking for&#33;&#33;

Pure_Evil
07-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Wow :blink:

Thanks Sepra&#33; I learned a lot from your questions and all those answere. Those folks sure are handy. :thumbs: