PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CRAPOLA

ME BIGGD01
07-23-2003, 04:50 AM
so i am screwing around with my windows 2003 server and there are a few things that wont run on it such as my avid xpress dv 3.5 and serious runner for the doa boyz and lady. anyway so i decide to put a new scsi hard drive in and dual boot withe server and xp pro. what a mess :bandhead: ---so xp installed great and being in my kind of position or field, you would think i would backup all of my data just incase.... well i didnt because i am lazy sometimes or maybe just take too many chances. i must of kicked myself in the ass 100 times. so my system would boot showing multi boot and everything looked fine and continued to boot into xp but when i went to boot into server the system would just restart. so now i start sweating pellets because i should of known better and backed the biatch up. well since the only os that it would allow me to boot into was xp that's what i did. i looked into the boot drive and started fooling around with boot.ini file but it looked alright so that was a lost case. i couldnt understand what the hell was wrong but then i start looking into the microsoft knowledge base and came up with this little tidbit.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article-322952

and i got my answer.

you don't think i am going to tell you how i fixed the situation and prevent you from the wonderful learning experience of microsoft edumacation do ya?

ok i wil anyway in short term----just copy the ntldr and ntdetect files of the advanced server 2003 cd and copy them into the root drive and replace the ones that were replaced from the xp installation. this is a known bug and can be looked up using kbbug kb322952

after the week i had last week, this almost was the icing on the cake. :thumbs:

Sirc
07-23-2003, 04:56 AM
I learned my lesson a long time ago - never ever use any MS products that haven't been "beta-tested" by the consumer market for at least a year. :bandhead:

Grimmy
07-23-2003, 05:32 AM
:blink: That was way over my head :unsure: I know who I am calling if I have a puter problem :D

Dissectional
07-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Good story BIGG. I have a habit of NBUS (Not Backing Up Sh1t) when I work on the PC's, and the latest victim was myself! Your week last week was bigger and messier then mine, but very similar.

JIMINATOR
07-23-2003, 03:38 PM
lol, my backup is when i copy everything over to a bigger hard drive.... :thumbs:

but really, i will burn a cdrom at times, not that much data when you skip the movie, images and programs directories... :oooo:

ME BIGGD01
07-23-2003, 05:05 PM
well the best thing to do is to create a ghost image of a fully configured system the way you like it and then you can run sysprep to take the sid's out. this way if you know anyone who has the same computer they can put that image on in 10 minutes and they use there own ser#. but of course i have just about any tool one could need but maybe use 5% of the crap.

oh for those that use nforce2 boards---creating a ghost image will work on all nforce boards 1 and 2. this way you can install the image on any nforce 2 board.

Death-Dude
07-24-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Jul 23 2003, 11:05 AM
well the best thing to do is to create a ghost image of a fully configured system the way you like it and then you can run sysprep to take the sid's out. this way if you know anyone who has the same computer they can put that image on in 10 minutes and they use there own ser#. but of course i have just about any tool one could need but maybe use 5% of the crap.

oh for those that use nforce2 boards---creating a ghost image will work on all nforce boards 1 and 2. this way you can install the image on any nforce 2 board.
I've used PowerQuest Drive Copy for that, and if you are building systems, it can save a ton of time obviously. I have Norton Ghost, I think, but haven't ghosted my drive yet. Like JIM, I used to Drive copy to my older, smaller drive when it was built the way I wanted, but I've since deployed my 20 gig, and my 30 gig died, so I need to get another with one of these specials that happen.