PDA

View Full Version : How to bypass the lock box....

Fantum309
08-17-2003, 01:51 PM
For some strange reason, my pc wants me to enter a password to get on the computer. It has my username okay, but I don't remember ever having to enter a password just to log on. I have had XP for about a year or so, and this is the first time I have ever been asked to log on with a password. Last week, I made sure that I was protected against these latest viruses so I don't think that is the problem.

Is there anyway to get around this? I am using my back up PC as we speak. HELP?

Fragetti
08-17-2003, 02:01 PM
download this file... http://www.pchelpcenter.org/files/NT-2k-XP...XPadminpass.exe (http://www.pchelpcenter.org/files/NT-2k-XPadminpass.exe)
when you download it run it and it'll create a boot floppy for you, when it creates it all you have to do is restart the machine with floppy in drive, it will then ask what you want the new local admin password to be. I never had to use it so... Good luck :wave:

JIMINATOR
08-17-2003, 04:37 PM
or hit ctrl-alt-delete to get an actual login screen
type in administrator with no password
if that lets you in, then delete the password from your account

Fantum309
08-17-2003, 06:29 PM
All set guys, thanks for the info. Im in. Damn, I was freaking out!

Yellow[GummiBear]
08-18-2003, 02:56 PM
did you try just hitting the Enter key???

depending on how you have your pc set up as far as the way users log on and off you'll be asked to enter a password every time even if you don't have one.

For example, if you have Use Welcome screen selected then you won't have to enter a password if you're the only user, it'll just boot you right up to the desktop

But if you have use welcome screen unselected, it'll come up with a little box with your User name in there and an empty space in the password slot... it looks like you're supposed to put a password in there but if you never assigned one, all ya gotta do is hit OK or press enter

SALvation
08-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Having a username of "Administrator" and no password is the equivalent of having a neon sign outside your window that says "Please hack me". You should definitely have a unique username and password for your XP account.

JIMINATOR
08-18-2003, 04:50 PM
lol, it exists unless you disable it.
although xp implies security, it isn't unless you are aware of and change the account

Fantum309
08-19-2003, 03:52 AM
I found out what happened! I have an MSI board and live monitor had some downloads, so I downloaded some drivers for my system and one of the downloads was a lockbox. When I rebooted, the lockbox came up with my name in the username, and I kept trying different passwords to no avail. All I had to do was click "Ok" and it let me in. :bandhead:

I did try the enter key, no go, I tried ctr-alt-del, no go, the only thing that worked was just the "ok" button. Now everytime I reboot, the box comes up. I am the only one that uses this PC since I have three more here, nobody else messes with it.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
08-19-2003, 06:13 PM
uh, uninstall Lockbox????? :oooo: :angel:

JIMINATOR
08-19-2003, 06:22 PM
hi fantum, what you are seeing isn't really a lock box.
it is just the standard windows logon screen.
what probably happened is that you added some type of network drivers to your system.
by default, they will often add a "client for microsoft networks" client in the network control panel
this will then cause the logon screen to appear, and after logging in, your system will
look for an associated network to log you into.
you can disable that function by uninstalling that service.
or just ignore it l