PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 3 - New Thread

::: DARK PSI :::
08-26-2003, 02:20 PM
Since the old thread was being spammed too much.. I started this to ask the Silent Hill fans a few questions..

First, what is the game about exactly, what do you do in the game? Is it like a tomb raider, or a hack and slash?

Second, how do the controls work and are they good?

Does the game have ANY replay value whatsoever?

We'll start with these questions first. :)

EXEcution
08-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Ever play Resident Evil?
Its pretty much a survival horror-style game!
U can hack-and-slash but thats really not the point of the game!
Its quite frightenig!
I think all games have replay value if you're bored enough! :thumbs:

::: DARK PSI :::
08-26-2003, 02:26 PM
I have never played Resident Evil. I am just not sure what this game is.. Do you walk around in a 3d world.. and shoot monsters.. or is it static screens where you look to solve puzzles.. not sure what to make of it. I just like the environment.

He Is Legend
08-26-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by :: DARK LEVIATHAN ::@Aug 26 2003, 09:26 AM
I have never played Resident Evil. I am just not sure what this game is.. Do you walk around in a 3d world.. and shoot monsters.. or is it static screens where you look to solve puzzles.. not sure what to make of it. I just like the environment.
Silent hill is the static screen with puzzles and a 3d world shooting monsters combined, one of the best games ive EVER!!!! played, youll love the ending

Dissectional
08-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Silent Hill is neither a hack/slash or really like Tomb Raider. Visions of your dead wife bring you back to the spooky town of Silent Hill...where monsters and other wierdness abound. The game is creepier and scarier then Resident Evil...you do a lot more running for you life in SH.

The controls are hard to get used to, like Resident Evil's. Once you get a handle on the controls, at least I actually found them to be fitting for the game.

Well, you can beat SH2 in under three hours if you are good, but to be able to get that kind of time, you most likely would have had to play the game 4 or 5 times. So, I would honestly say the replay value is moderatley low, unless you are a completist, and you don't really BEAT the game until you have MASTERED the game.

Rent it and see what you think DL. They are good games.

PJ'l_Master
08-27-2003, 12:55 AM
I have only played the first silent hill, but from what I have seen on X-Play this is gonna be one of the scariest games ever to come out on a console...at least in my opinion. Even the first one on the... Playstation, i believe, looked awesome considering the technology then. No it is not a hack and slash becuase from what I have seen (the trailer) there isnt lots of nonstop action like in UT or SS, and still less than resident evil(my fav survival horror game), rather your battles are more spread out and the game is more of a giant puzzle, like parasite eve, or myst...damn that game! Since the game is comprised mostly of puzzles it can be very easy to get stuck or lost, but it is definately a game that you dont want to play in the dark alone for too long, just ask my neighbor.

When reading this remember that what I have said is based on what I have seen on TV and from the original game,, but if I were into consoles I would still buy it for the simple reason that it looks so damn good...DAMN I'M GOOD! :jammin:

EXEcution
08-27-2003, 02:26 AM
These games should be more like Devil May Cry!
I wanna see more ACTION! :wootrock:

PJ'l_Master
08-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by XtremeGamer@Aug 27 2003, 02:26 AM
These games should be more like Devil May Cry!
I wanna see more ACTION! :wootrock:
Ahhhhhh, Devil May Cry, now there is a good game!
So much action with so simple of controls :cool:

EXEcution
08-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by PJ&#39;l_Master+Aug 27 2003, 06:36 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PJ&#39;l_Master @ Aug 27 2003, 06:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--XtremeGamer@Aug 27 2003, 02:26 AM
These games should be more like Devil May Cry&#33;
I wanna see more ACTION&#33; :wootrock:
Ahhhhhh, Devil May Cry, now there is a good game&#33;
So much action with so simple of controls :cool: [/b][/quote]
Too bad the second installment didn&#39;t live up to its name&#33; :bandhead:

PJ'l_Master
08-27-2003, 07:13 PM
I never had a problem with it, but I dont play that much, since I dont have a console anymore.

Gun Element
08-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Silent Hill and Resident Evil are my favorite type of games for how mellow and low action packed it can be.

Id say that you figure out more puzzles, find items, and move around than shooting. Although its made that way to increase the suspense.

uh yea good games.

Preferably Resident Evil. :devil:

He Is Legend
08-30-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Gun Element@Aug 27 2003, 04:53 PM
Silent Hill and Resident Evil are my favorite type of games for how mellow and low action packed it can be.

Id say that you figure out more puzzles, find items, and move around than shooting. Although its made that way to increase the suspense.

uh yea good games.

Hmm good choice on resident evil, but after they made 2 it went down the drain

2 was the hardest they worked on, nemesis was ok, but plot was plain gay, and survivor was just..damn dont even get me there, Code Veronica was pretty good too, but 2 was best overall all of em

But silent hill, all 3 of there games rocked, i havnt seen nothing i dont like bout it, so preferably, if you want to be scared outta your pants get silent hill, if you wanna be suspensful and get weird momments, get resident evil 2, best ps1 game you can buy

anyway..preferably silent hill ;)

Gun Element
09-06-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Chaotic+Aug 30 2003, 12:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chaotic @ Aug 30 2003, 12:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Gun Element@Aug 27 2003, 04:53 PM

uh yea good games.

Hmm good choice on resident evil, but after they made 2 it went down the drain

2 was the hardest they worked on, nemesis was ok, but plot was plain gay, and survivor was just..damn dont even get me there, Code Veronica was pretty good too, but 2 was best overall all of em

But silent hill, all 3 of there games rocked, i havnt seen nothing i dont like bout it, so preferably, if you want to be scared outta your pants get silent hill, if you wanna be suspensful and get weird momments, get resident evil 2, best ps1 game you can buy

anyway..preferably silent hill ;) [/b][/quote]
Well Im a Resident Evil fan so I liked all of them, but not the cheap first person shooter ones. Those blew.

Vash
10-02-2003, 05:45 AM
I&#39;ve played all three silent hills, and resident evil 1 to code veronica.
You cant compare silent hill with resident evil, because the type of scaryness is different.

What scares you most in silent hill is what you dont know is going to happen. . Silent hill is dark and foggy, you dont know what comes around the corner, or out of the darkness, and that&#39;s what scares the player: Fear of the unkown.

What scares you most in resident evil is being puny and defenseless, you know you are trapped in a deathzone and have to get out or else you&#39;ll die. Fear of death.

Silent hill 3 has adopted some resident evil gameplay into it, which makes it have the qualities of both games.

Vash
10-02-2003, 06:12 AM
Ok here are my dislikes of the games.

I dont like resident evil because of the stupid puzzles that dont make any sense: Since when were normal doors locked by emblems or jewels, that you find by solving some stupid puzzle with a bunch of statues, paintings, etc. And another thing, the character must always take the convenient way, cant jump over the fire (must find a fire extinguisher in a room full of monsters), cant climb over the fence (must find a key in a room full of monsters), cant shoot the lock on the door(must find a key in a room full of monsters), cant kick the zomies away... Another stupid thing is the character movement, i laugh seeing the character ROTATE without having to adjust his/her legs, and can always RUN even when facing right smack against a wall. I also hate the camera angles, where you cant see what&#39;s right infront of you. I also hate the stupid inventory management, i know it makes sense that you can carry a truckload of items, but having the same items you dropped off in one inventory box appear in the next inventory box is ridiculus. One last thing i hate about the game is the dialogue, i cant forget the "Stop&#33; It&#33; Dont&#33; Open&#33; That&#33; Door&#33;" :rofl:

I also find the annoying camera angles in all 3 silent hills, but since they are all full 3d and not still captured environments, i could AT LEAST correct the camera angle by resetting the view. The stupid "convenient way" thing is also in silent hill, still cant bust the locked door down because you might injure yourself, must find a key down in the basement full of monsters where you can get hurt more. The senseless puzzles are fine to me because they are supposed to be senseless. I didnt like the controls for the character too, but at least i could change the control type from 3d (up=forward, left/right=rotate left/right) to 2d (like metal gear controls) in the options menu. Some people complain that the graphics are grainy, but the grainy/noise effect was put there on purpose to make some menacing ambience.

Vash
10-02-2003, 06:38 AM
And here are my likes for the games.

I love resident evil because it&#39;s full of action, and it gives a good adrenaline rush. I love the story too, it MAKES SENSE, and it&#39;s realistic unlike the very satanic story of silent hill.

I love silent hill for its realism. The graphics for all 3 are superb, which makes the horror feel so real. I love the implication of many types of fears humans experience: Fear of the unknown, claustrophobia (fear of confined places, like being trapped in an elevator *and with something else :wacko: ), necrophobia (fear of death), hemophobia (fear of blood). You dont get an adrenaline rush out of this, instead you grow psychologically disturbed. Your inner strength to go on weakens because the living nightmare only gets worse, the only reason you have left to continue playing is that you want to find some sense to this insanity, which you wont :P.

Rivers
10-11-2003, 05:00 AM
Silent Hill 3 was pretty fun and the puzzles and action are about the same as SH 2 only it seemed a lot shorter but if you&#39;ve played and enjoyed the past SH&#39;s you&#39;d like this one.