PDA

View Full Version : Recent UT 2003 problem, need help

Pure_Evil
08-27-2003, 02:25 PM
I have been hearing lately from people that when they go to the {DS} server, that they have to download maps they already have. :WTF: Now yesterday, I had a different player not only download a map we played a few weeks ago, but the rest were original maps. :bandhead:

I have heard about this from 3 different players in a week.

Anyone know what the problem could be???

Pure_Evil
08-27-2003, 07:26 PM
:WTF: :hmmm:

EXEcution
08-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Do u want me to go and try?

Pure_Evil
08-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Do u want me to go and try?

Sure, I believe you were one of the people who had the issue, just give me a min to check the server, same password you had before. ;)

Thanks Bro, also, make sure you have the chat bubble, we added that and there is a link for downloading it in the top of this UT forum.

EXEcution
08-27-2003, 08:01 PM
K im waiting for u to reply to my PM! ;)

Red[GummiBear]
08-27-2003, 08:42 PM
ok not sure if this wil help or not but this is my best guess....first thing i would check is that it isnt a CLIENT side problem...what i am saying is this...if you havent actually downloaded the bonus packs and installed them with the maps going into your "maps" folder IS possible to run into this problem...here is how: say i hop on a server sometime and they are playing a map different than i have...i will download the map from the server and be able to play on the server, heck i can play on other servers with that map....BUT when its downloaded the file doesnt go into your maps folder it goes into a cache folder...and after a while it can be moved out (im not sure what the rule is exactly if it is time based or size based)....so now i am happily playing the map and i think that i have downloaded it and all is well...but after some time i go to a server and lo and behold i need to redownload it again! this happens and is a good thing to be 100% sure of before you think its a server problem...you MUST download all the bonus and expansion packs and install them OR download the individual maps from ut2k3 sites and extract them to the "maps" folder for them to be there indefinitely and prevent future redownloads

hope this helps, its at least something to look at

Goober
08-27-2003, 08:55 PM
Well, I would have never thunk it....That explains a lot. I wondered why I would have to keep downloading stuff that I was sure I had downloaded before.

Pure_Evil
08-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by XtremeGamer@Aug 27 2003, 04:01 PM
K im waiting for u to reply to my PM! ;)
replied :thumbs:

Pure_Evil
08-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Red[GummiBear]@Aug 27 2003, 04:42 PM
ok not sure if this wil help or not but this is my best guess....first thing i would check is that it isnt a CLIENT side problem...what i am saying is this...if you havent actually downloaded the bonus packs and installed them with the maps going into your "maps" folder IS possible to run into this problem...here is how: say i hop on a server sometime and they are playing a map different than i have...i will download the map from the server and be able to play on the server, heck i can play on other servers with that map....BUT when its downloaded the file doesnt go into your maps folder it goes into a cache folder...and after a while it can be moved out (im not sure what the rule is exactly if it is time based or size based)....so now i am happily playing the map and i think that i have downloaded it and all is well...but after some time i go to a server and lo and behold i need to redownload it again! this happens and is a good thing to be 100% sure of before you think its a server problem...you MUST download all the bonus and expansion packs and install them OR download the individual maps from ut2k3 sites and extract them to the "maps" folder for them to be there indefinitely and prevent future redownloads

hope this helps, its at least something to look at
Only thing is, this is happening with maps like Grendelkeep and Phobos, anubis, basic maps. Not maps like Tree of Ages.

I had this once with the original UT and it was a virus that altered a winmap file, but these people run anti virus programs regularly. :bandhead:

Burn the Witch
08-27-2003, 10:32 PM
the only thing I can think of is they have Campgrounds-2003, not Campgrounds-2003-LE, but thats kinda the lamest thing I could come up with, sorry :(

EXEcution
08-27-2003, 11:04 PM
Sorry i couldn't join!
i was too addicted to that MMORPG! :online2long:

Dan2
08-28-2003, 03:35 AM
I had the same prob but I put the maps in the map folder, the .utx files in the texture folder and the .usx files in the static mesh folder. And problem solved.

OUTLAWS BIOHAZARD
08-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Hey you might want to check the Ut2003.int file and make sure those maps are not set for auto download cause sometimes when you download maps it will edit the .int file and add maps to the list to upload. Mainly people do it so their map is loaded on the server and everyone has to download it. It's kinda like a really bad scheme to get people to do something. If its not there then you might want to send Epic or DE a letter reporting this problem.

Thanks alot!
BIOHAZARD

Sepra
08-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Nick just told me he has had the same problems :bandhead:

Pure_Evil
08-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Sepra@Aug 28 2003, 02:58 PM
Nick just told me he has had the same problems :bandhead:
please list the files that you have to download.

Pure_Evil
08-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by BIOHAZARD@Aug 28 2003, 04:58 AM
Hey you might want to check the Ut2003.int file and make sure those maps are not set for auto download cause sometimes when you download maps it will edit the .int file and add maps to the list to upload. Mainly people do it so their map is loaded on the server and everyone has to download it. It's kinda like a really bad scheme to get people to do something. If its not there then you might want to send Epic or DE a letter reporting this problem.

Thanks alot!
BIOHAZARD
Just for the record, the server int file looks fine. :thumbs:

Thank you Bain ;) :wave:

ForrestFunk
08-29-2003, 10:04 AM
perhaps you should ask your ut2k3 server host that they do a clean install of ut again :unsure: