PDA

View Full Version : Memory fix

Snip3r
08-28-2003, 04:24 AM
Um ya. That. I'm running W98SE on this hunk of huge ****, and I have 384MB of RAM. Well basically, I KNOW my RAM is like ****ed up. More than 9 times a day I have to restart because it says I don't have enough memory to run etc. etc. And today, when ScanDisk and Norton were running at the same time, it said I didn't have enough memory to run this program. Well back in the day this little computer wasn't THAT bad. I think something happened to it while it was in my basement slouching and getting dusteh. Well, I wanted to know if their was any software that could boost/fix my memory problem.

ME BIGGD01
08-28-2003, 04:54 AM
Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic tool
The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

To run Windows Memory Diagnostic, you must reboot your computer with the disk or CD-ROM on which you installed Windows Memory Diagnostic in the drive. After the reboot, Windows Memory Diagnostic will load and its interface will appear. After loading, the first test pass will begin, using the default standard test suite, and continue until complete, unless Windows Memory Diagnostic is either paused or exited. Once the first test pass is complete, Windows Memory Diagnostic will begin a second test pass using the same settings as before. Windows Memory Diagnostic will continue to run test passes until you exit.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe

JIMINATOR
08-28-2003, 04:55 AM
um, a clean window install should do it.
really you prolly got some corrupt file/drivers/registry or whatever that
is causing stuff to break. reinstalling windows should fix all of that.
just back up your files and make sure you have driver disks available for everything.
i would not look to more software as a solution.

EXEcution
08-28-2003, 01:31 PM
I had the same problem on WinXP, but i did a system recovery and it worked out the problem!

Death Engineer
08-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Sounds like you have either a memory leak (check running progs that load at startup) or have a screwed up virtual memory system (see settings in control panel). Either way, like Jim says, a fresh start couldn't hurt.

DE

Snip3r
09-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Well I found out I have a Trojan on my computer. I don't remember what kind of Trojan Horse it was but I know it's on here. It tried sending itself to my other computer but Norton Firewall stopped it. But when I run Norton Anti-Virus nothing comes up. What am I to do! Oh and I have the latest Norton ;)

Slice
09-01-2003, 11:18 PM
I sent it to you so I could remotley download pron. :D Try scanning your drive from the other computer on the network. It will take a little while because of the network connection though.