PDA

View Full Version : WINDOWS XP Service Pack Question

::: DARK PSI :::
08-28-2003, 08:06 PM
Microsoft was supposed to release SP2 later this year but has announced that the release date was a typo and will be released late Q3 of 2004.

In the meantime we are experiencing a troublesome error that is more annoying than harmful. When a user goes into Word or any office product and opens a file that is on a network drive, XP holds the file locked in their username and will not let anyone, including the user opening it to reopen the file. It will keep coming up as a file lock or access denied error. This will keep happening until the user either shuts down their machine or logs off the network. My employees are having a difficult time working with this problem and I would hate to have to have everyone downgraded to a lower OS.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue and have you developed a work around?

Here is a link describing the problem. Microsoft's answer is to wait unti SP2 comes out... that is NOT good enough. Their other workaround does not even exist in the XP registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;812937 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812937)

JIMINATOR
08-28-2003, 08:22 PM
hmmm, don't really know about any of that stuff, but it sounds like it sux...

you can try the microsoft fix, but it looks like you have to create the key in the paramets section, it should be a DWORD to 0.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet \Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\EnableOplock s

on the net, I found this. if the key above doesn't work, you can try adding these below, but
"DANGER!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!" do this only on a computer that you can screw up. It should be ok,
but ya just never know.

--------------------------------
The following registry entries disable opportunistic locking and caching:

HKey_Local_Machine \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ LanmanServer \ Parameters \ EnableOpLocks must be set to 0.
HKey_Local_Machine \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ LanmanServer \ Parameters \ CachedOpenLimit must be set to 0.
HKey_Local_Machine \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ LanmanWorkStation \ Parameters \ UseOpportunisticLocking must be set to 0.
HKey_Local_Machine \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ LanmanWorkStation \ Parameters \ UtilizeNtCaching must be set to 0.

08-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Thanks Jim I will give it a try.

ME BIGGD01
08-30-2003, 12:18 AM
jim thats exactly the answer to this well known problem. :thumbs: not many know it and am curious how you got the info? i remember a while back,a client having same problems and it took me a while to figure it out and get the fix.

DL, you may also want to reinstall sp1 again even if you have installed it before. sometimes this will clear up corruption or annoyances that are occurring.

JIMINATOR
08-30-2003, 02:17 AM
i am just good with google, my favorite website.... :jammin:

ME BIGGD01
08-30-2003, 02:57 PM
:lol:

well a while back i could of used google but searched through alot of my favorite sites with plenty of info. also microsoft refrence librrys are good but a pain to figure out where anything is. maybe i will try google aswell to see when i have next problem.

OUTLAWS Spike
08-30-2003, 03:02 PM
Try this Link (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp)

09-01-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys, it worked wonders!! Oh and great link Spike. :)