PDA

View Full Version : Weird Problem

Rivers
09-25-2003, 06:04 AM
Okay so when Im playing or just have used my computer for a while I start to hear clicking inside and it will freeze for a second but after a while it completely restarts my comp and starts doing this weird Nividia Intel thing......and I have an AMD......what the hell is going on! I was thinking it might be overheating but ive ran like this for a long time and have never run into this. I scanned to see if it was a virus and Norton found nothing. This is seriously cramping my gamming and I have a lan party in 2 days. Anyone got any suggestions besides reinstalling Windows. I dont wanna have to go through the troulbe.

JIMINATOR
09-25-2003, 12:42 PM
sounds like there may be something loose inside the case that is interfering with a fan...
that's what i would look for.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
09-25-2003, 03:08 PM
hard drive failure

Rivers
09-25-2003, 08:23 PM
I forgot to mention it also asks for a boot disk and says "nvidia boot disk error" or something like that. :wacko:

Slice
09-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Are you using the latest drivers from Nvidia's site? Or did you install the one that came with the card?

Rivers
09-25-2003, 08:30 PM
That's just the thing....I got an ATI card not nvidia. I do have the nForce chipset on my motherboard but I did USED to have an nvidia card before the ATI but I thought I wiped all the nvidia drivers clean. :unsure:

Slice
09-25-2003, 09:17 PM
Do you have a Maxtor hard drive?

Rivers
09-26-2003, 01:31 AM
Nope IBM.

Slice
09-26-2003, 01:43 AM
Oh that was my second guess. IBM drives are not great and fail alot. You may want to back up to cd and check the drive integrity.

Rivers
09-26-2003, 03:21 AM
Uh oh....i dont like the sound of that....... :bawling:

Death-Dude
09-27-2003, 07:39 PM
After cruising the IBM site for a while, I don't see any diags like Maxtor has, maybe I missed them, but they have several firmware updates, you could see if they have one for your drive. Of course, if the drive mechanics are failing, that won't help, but it's worth a shot if the drive is going.

ME BIGGD01
09-29-2003, 02:32 AM
if you are using nfoce board try downloading these and upfrading chipset drivers
ftp://ftp.aopen.com.tw/pub/driver/mb/nvid...ref_264_w2k.zip (ftp://ftp.aopen.com.tw/pub/driver/mb/nvidea/nforce/nfref_264_w2k.zip)

these drivers are the latest and not even posted yet on nvidia's site. they work well

i have noticed this problem before with the nforce boards and think it has to do with
1-power supply
2-drivers for chipset

the clicking does sound as if the drive is going bad but i would try updating drivers and wait for you to get back to us.

Gunter_Glut
10-03-2003, 01:33 PM
if you think it is a heat problem,take the side off and let some air circulate and see if it stops crashing.i had a 'puter made this summer,and it had an geforce 5200 athlon 1.7 and was pared down with no extra bs,with windows xp.it would get hot and crash,i took the side off and the bios settings had a section where you could monitor the temp of the damn thing,and with the side off it was 3-4 degrees cooler.and didnt crash at all.but ,by the time i figured that all out,my new alienware had arrived.and let me tell you......it rocks!!! i am very impressed. :wootrock: Customer Information:Configuration:AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+ . . . . Customer Accnt. #: .CPU(s): . . . . . . . . . . . Memory: . . . . . . . . .512MBCase Color: . . . . . . . .Hard Drives(s): . . . . .80.1GB, ST380011ANEW CASE Conspiracy BlueDVD-ROM: . . . . . . . . -none-CD-ROM: . . . . . . . . .CD-RW: . . . . . . . . . . Operating System: . .DirectX Version: . . . BIOS Information: . .Phoenix Technologies, LTD9Microsoft Windows XP Home EditionSAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B-none-DVD-Recorder . . . . . -none-ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1Nvidia - 42302e31Storage Device(s): . .-none-08/19/2003 10:29 AM