PDA

View Full Version : RAM Question

Grimmy
10-26-2002, 09:22 PM
Just thining up getting more RAM. I have 512 now, and want to update to a gig. Would I see much of a differece, or would I be waisting my $$? Not sure how it will effect gaming or the other things that I do. Need your thoughts and input!

OUTLAWS high ping camper
10-26-2002, 09:39 PM
I'm pretty stupid when it comes to PC's, but.......since no one has responded, here my 2 cents.
I believe that not only does the amount of memory matter, but what type of memory. Changeing what type could mean having to change the motherboard that you use. I know this isn't really helping you.
I think that 512mb should be plenty of memory for gaming and such.
I've always talked to Machine and Slice when it comes to PC questions.

Goober
10-26-2002, 11:03 PM
PC World did an article on that very question, and the consensus was that most peoples computers never use much more than 256 meg...
Here is a link to the article..
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,15916,00.asp

Slice
10-27-2002, 12:37 AM
I would say it depends on what you are planning on doing. Sometimes I have 6 programs running at the same time, that require heavy memory use. 1 gig is not going to improve any gameplay! I have tried both 512 and 1 gig while playing Sam or UT and it makes no difference, as I knew it wouldn't. ;) If you are planning on doing graphic work, animation, rendering, and you use programs that remember everything you do while creating stuff, then it is worth it. I have 1 gig of ram myself and use over 512 all the time.

OUTLAWS The Machine
10-27-2002, 12:46 AM
You would be waisting you money man. Unless you are doing some high end graghics manipulation then you do not need it.

OUTLAWS DirtGod
10-28-2002, 03:01 PM
or if your running mcafee virus scan it just that much more memory to leak....:)