PDA

View Full Version : Certain Web Sites Load Slow

Rivers
11-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Okay, after a few days this is really starting to get to me. Certain web sites, for some reason, load slow on my computer and take up all my resources and CPU usage while loading them like eBay and bestbuy.com. On my brothers computer (were on a network via router) his computer can't load ANY search engine pages at all. It will give him a "page cannot be displayed." I checked for viruses and nothing. Defragged my disk and cleaned up and still nothing. Is there anything else I can possibly try before having to take drastic actions and reinstall Windows cause I really don't wanna have to do that. :bandhead:

Slice
11-11-2003, 02:21 AM
Ok try doing this in the following order on each computer.

First go to the command prompt which can be found in Start Button/accessories. Next type in ipconfig /all, then hit enter. Write down the subnet mask #, default gateway #, and DNS server #. Now go to Start button/My Network Places, right click on Local area connection and select properties. Then in the window that pops up highlight the Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) by clicking on it. Then click the properties button. Next select the bullet that says use the following IP address. In the first box enter in an ip that is out of the routers range, for example 196.168.2.200 for the first computer. Then hit the tab key which will most likely insert the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask default automatically. Then enter the default gateway number that you wrote down. Now click on the other bullet below, use the following DNS server addresses. Enter in the DNS server address that you wrote down in the first box, no need to enter alternate one just leave blank. Then click ok. See if you can get on the internet. If you can do the same for the other computer except assign it another ip, example: 196.168.2.201. If you want to be able to share files you also need to make sure you are on the same workgroup and have file and printer sharing enabled.

EDIT: the above is asuming you are using Windows XP, which I thought you were. Also make sure you put a space between ipconfig and /all in the first steps.

Sirc
11-11-2003, 02:34 AM
Holy crap! Good luck Rivers! :blink:

Grimmy
11-11-2003, 03:34 AM
Another thing you could do, take out the router, and plug your puter directly into your modem and see if you still have the same problems. If you don't, then something in your router.

I know it sounds goofy, but when was the last time you rebooted your modem and router? I have had to do this a few times, when sites would load very slow, or even to the point where it was like I wasn't connected. Rebooted modem, let it come up and flash normal, then the router, when that is booted up, fire up your rig and see how things act.

ME BIGGD01
11-11-2003, 04:27 AM
rivers, uninstall your network card drivers and reboot sysytem and let windows reinstall them

right click on my computer--choose properties
goto hardware tab--choose device manager

goto network --choose network card and right click--choose uninstall

reboot system

all should be fixed :thumbs:

JIMINATOR
11-11-2003, 05:11 AM
be sure to check your router and ensure that some neighbor hasn't jacked your connection and is downloading streaming pron....

Rivers
11-11-2003, 05:21 AM
Tried above said suggestion and nothing works eBay and certain pages still load slow and take up all my CPU ussage. Thanks for all the help anyway guys but I'm going to have to destroy my computer. :lol:

Rivers
11-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Okay.....i just used my comp today and the problem is gone. Just like that its gone. I think a windows update fixed it. Computers really are weird. :blink:

DiTomasso
11-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Thank God or is it Bill :rofl:

Rivers
11-24-2003, 06:52 AM
I guess I spoke too soon. Out of no where the problem came back just as soon as it was fixed. *sigh* :bandhead:

Grimmy
11-24-2003, 05:58 PM
:hmmm: format c:

Rivers
11-25-2003, 02:28 AM
Sounds like a plan. I'm still woundering why the problem went away then came back though. :blink:

Slice
11-25-2003, 02:45 AM
Do you have cable or dsl?

Rivers
12-01-2003, 04:58 AM
Cable and out of no where the problem fixed itself again I don't know what the fumble is up with this stupid computer. :blink: