PDA

View Full Version : A question for the southerners

PJ'l_Master
01-06-2004, 05:36 PM
When it snows like an inch down there does everything actually close down, and do people actually freak out?

Fred Bear
01-06-2004, 05:59 PM
when I lived in North Carolina it snowed one year about an inch and they closed everything and requested anyone with a 4 wheel drive go to the hospital help out.
They build the highways domed down there on the coast because of the high water table. Bad for snow and ice! it was crazy. I saw cars all over in the ditch.

UZI
01-06-2004, 07:14 PM
I grew up in South Louisiana, and it snowed only once in the 22 years I lived there. School was cancelled for two days. If it rains and then drops below freezing during the night, all schools were closed down and even businesses shut down.

It is not like a panic, but people will not get out and drive in it. I lived in Ohio for 5 years and it took forever to get use to driving in the snow, but we eventually learned how to get around. :wacko:

Couldn't drive fast in the snow, could not drive fast in the summer because of all the road work. I was glad to get out of the cold and was in Northern CA for a few years and now I have been back in South Texas for a while.

Interesting that it was just the opposite with rain. In South Louisiana or Texas, you get use to 1 inch plus rains all of the time and 4 - 5 inch rain days was not uncommon. You just learn to get out and drive in deep water and to carry on with your normal day. When I was in Ohio, an inch of rain or more disrupted everything, and people had no clue how to drive in it. :bandhead:

In a simple answer to your question, snow and ice shuts things down in the deep South where folks are not used to it. After Ohio, I have a new respect for folks who can live in snow country. :thumbs:

Die Hard
01-06-2004, 07:56 PM
For a moment there I thought you meant Southern England
where I live :blink:

Well it hardly ever snows down here and when it does we get
about an inch or two. You would think it was more like 1-2 feet
by the way people react. It's an absolute hoot watching people
trying to drive in only an inch of snow :rofl: :rofl:

He Is Legend
01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
in virginia if it even sleets or hails or snows..

everything closes :P

EricC
01-06-2004, 10:05 PM
yay

Sepra
01-06-2004, 10:35 PM
:wacko: Our last blizzard thing I had to 4 wheel drive it out of my driveway and schools were open :wacko:

OUTLAWS Dixie Chick
01-07-2004, 04:25 AM
As a true southerner, living all my life in South Carolina, I can honestly tell you, yes, schools and some businesses close when there are snow storms in the weather forecast (1-2" snow.) :P

If the weatherman predicts a snowstorm, huge masses flock to grocery stores to buy:

beer
toilet paper
bread
milk

And then of course, we make our way to Blockbuster's to pick up several new releases. We are now ready for the "blizzard."

We usually don't have problems driving in just snow. Our problems come when we get sleet and freezing rain, which is much more a problem. We just don't have the equipment to salt the roads. That's when we start "slip, sliding, away!" And then of course we have huge power outages, and sometimes it might take a week to get power back on. :bandhead:

I remember when I was in highschool, we had about 8" of snow. South Carolina was declared in a state of emergency, and Interstate 85 was shut down. The National Gaurd was called in to help clear the roads. We were out of school for over a week with that one. Talk about your happy kids!

Sepra
01-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Dixie Chick@Jan 6 2004, 11:25 PM
I remember when I was in highschool, we had about 8" of snow. South Carolina was declared in a state of emergency, and Interstate 85 was shut down. The National Gaurd was called in to help clear the roads. We were out of school for over a week with that one. Talk about your happy kids!
:blink: OMG :rofl:

PJ'l_Master
01-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Die Hard@Jan 6 2004, 07:56 PM
For a moment there I thought you meant Southern England
where I live :blink:

Well it hardly ever snows down here and when it does we get
about an inch or two. You would think it was more like 1-2 feet
by the way people react. It's an absolute hoot watching people
trying to drive in only an inch of snow :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: no i meant in the US, and BTW i agree, watching people drive in the snow for the first time is always fun. I am on my 3rd year of it now and still havent went into the ditch :thumbs: (Lucky Me)