PDA

View Full Version : New Serious Windows Security Flaws Found

JIMINATOR
02-10-2004, 08:56 PM
:loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

when will it end??

Microsoft Warns on Windows Security Flaws

February 10, 2004 02:24 PM EST

WASHINGTON - Microsoft Corp. warned customers Tuesday about unusually serious security problems with its Windows software that could let hackers quietly break into their computers to steal files, delete data or eavesdrop on sensitive information.

Microsoft, which learned about the flaws more than six months ago from researchers, said the only protective solution was to apply a repairing patch it offered on its Web site. It assessed the threat to computer users as "critical," its highest rating.

A Microsoft security executive, Stephen Toulouse, said the flawed software was "an extremely deep and pervasive technology in Windows," and urged customers to apply the patch immediately.

[snip]

"This is one of the most serious Microsoft vulnerabilities ever released," said Marc Maiffret of eEye Digital Security Inc. of Aliso Viejo, Calif., which discovered the new Windows flaws. "The breadth of systems affected is probably the largest ever. This is something that will let you get into Internet servers, internal networks, pretty much any system."

[snip]

The problems affected a technology in the newest versions of Windows known as "abstract syntax notation," a way to share data across different computers. Some of Microsoft's built-in security features - such as its Kerberos cryptography system - rely on the flawed software.

Microsoft urged consumers to apply the repairing patch immediately if they were using Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP versions of its software, or its Windows NT Server, Server 2000 and Server 2003 software commonly found in corporations.

Scorch
02-10-2004, 08:57 PM
:online2long:

PimpDaddy
02-10-2004, 09:35 PM
:bandhead:

Caged Anger
02-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Ah, yet another flaw in microsofts tech. Do hackers even bother with average shmo computer user anyway though? I really can't see anybody even wanting to get stuff off my hard drive. Best thing they would get would be a virus. :lol:

C2H5OH Guy
02-10-2004, 09:58 PM
lol

JIMINATOR
02-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Caged Anger@Feb 10 2004, 04:57 PM
Ah, yet another flaw in microsofts tech. Do hackers even bother with average shmo computer user anyway though? I really can't see anybody even wanting to get stuff off my hard drive. Best thing they would get would be a virus. :lol:
they don't care about your system for the most part. what they want is a mule,
to be able to run programs and attack other systems, send out spam, etc,
in the meantime, you wonder why your computer is laggy and your online games
suck....

Asian Invasian
02-10-2004, 10:14 PM
:bandhead: stupid.....

Slice
02-11-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR+Feb 10 2004, 06:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JIMINATOR @ Feb 10 2004, 06:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Caged Anger@Feb 10 2004, 04:57 PM
Ah, yet another flaw in microsofts tech. Do hackers even bother with average shmo computer user anyway though? I really can&#39;t see anybody even wanting to get stuff off my hard drive. Best thing they would get would be a virus. :lol:
they don&#39;t care about your system for the most part. what they want is a mule,
to be able to run programs and attack other systems, send out spam, etc,
in the meantime, you wonder why your computer is laggy and your online games
suck.... [/b][/quote]
Not true. Hackers do not wish to harm anyones system. A true "Hacker" is the ninja of the internet, comes and goes without a trace. The "Crackers" are the ones to blame for the destructive and infectious programs of todays world.

Death-Dude
02-11-2004, 03:41 AM
I saw it on CNN while flipping channels, so it&#39;s fairly noteworthy for an MS flaw/patch. Scary stuff, hopefully the patch will do it and it&#39;ll be done....&#39;til the next one.

EXEcution
02-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Sign, when will they make a nicer OS?

JIMINATOR
02-11-2004, 08:27 PM
it&#39;s already out. called linux.

you would not believe what you can do with linux.

now if they could port more of the opengl games to it....

in comparison, winblows is a wussy system...

EXEcution
02-11-2004, 08:30 PM
never played around with Linux.
But since im all about the games...Winblows will have to do :bawling: