PDA

View Full Version : I am taking the leap

Dissectional
02-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Going to go buy FFXI today....wish me luck.

[EvL]Dakota
02-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Sweet do you want a world pass so you can play on the same server as me?

MarX
02-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Before you make your character let me know. My and alot of my friends are on the Bismarck server. We're all pretty high Level now so I can hook you up phat if you get on my server =).

Zell playes too...but my server > Zell's server lol. Actually Bismarck was the 2nd server to kill all the twinkling treants (x-mas event), 2nd to Fenrir o_O

[EvL]Dakota
02-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Dang! Im on Siren.

MarX
02-25-2004, 04:45 PM
What Lvs Dakota?, I'm trying to get Zell to quit his darkknight and start over on my server lol.

[EvL]Dakota
02-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Theif 19
Black Mage 17
White Mage 11

I would rather not start over. That took a while. :lol:

I wish they would allow you to switch without starting over.

MarX
02-25-2004, 04:49 PM
I know what you mean =\ .

I have (so far)
30war
30rng
32rdm
13mnk
20nin
15thf

My ranger would be 40something right now but i've been farming for like 2 weeks now...but now I have teh ubber gill hehe

[EvL]Dakota
02-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Wow. You have been playing quite a while. How is the ninja? I think that is the advanced job I want to go for first.

MarX
02-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Ninja rocks, but if you wanna be a good ninja it gets really expensive. If its your main you can only sub war with it. The main reson people want you in groups is to tank. At Lv12 you get your Utsusemi:Ichi scroll, which acts like the rdm blink...but better, so a well funded tanking ninja doesn't take melee dmg :thumbs:. The only downside to being an ubber tank is that it gets really expensive, each time you cast your Ninjutsu Utsusemi it uses a ninja tool, namely Shehei...and a stack of Shehie on my server is 5-7k. You'll burn through a stack in roughly an hour so it starts adding up fast. Anothing thing that sucked was building enough Tenshodo fame to do most of the scroll quests. I had to turn in roughly 130 zinc ores to a member of the tenshodo in Bastok for enough fame. It's worth it though, because if you bough the quested scroll in the AH it would cost way too much... on my server Tonko:Ichi is 20-25k in AH, and Utsusemi:Ichi is 100k, so you save alot of mony by questing whatever scrolls you can.

[EvL]Dakota
02-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Sweet im definately going for ninja then. I like having the ability to hold two swords. Guess I need to start leveling up a Warrior then. And yeah the scrolls are so expensive. I learned that after working on leveling up the mages. There have been a few times that I switch back to my theif just to gain more gil.

Smooth[GummiBear]
02-25-2004, 05:10 PM
ph34r

[EvL]Dakota
02-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Hahaha shuriken

Dissectional
02-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by MarX@Feb 25 2004, 11:39 AM
Before you make your character let me know. My and alot of my friends are on the Bismarck server. We're all pretty high Level now so I can hook you up phat if you get on my server =).

Zell playes too...but my server > Zell's server lol. Actually Bismarck was the 2nd server to kill all the twinkling treants (x-mas event), 2nd to Fenrir o_O
I wuz going to go for a Black Mage due to my affinity for them from all the old games. I am going to read over the manual tonight and all that crap, and I will let you know what I go with.

Thanks for the offer Dakota, but let me read the book first. It is too bad you can't bounce around servers without starting over...I learned that harsh lesson when I played Planetside.

This game sounds like it rox tho, I can't wait to get in there!

Pure_Evil
02-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Thank God!! I thought you were going to do something realy stupid! :oooo:

But just getting into a game :thumbs:

See you in 3 months Diss :rofl:

Dissectional
02-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@Feb 25 2004, 12:47 PM
Thank God!! I thought you were going to do something realy stupid! :oooo:

Oh no brother....you know better then that ;)

MarX
02-25-2004, 06:15 PM
The best thing about FFXI is you don't have to decide on one job...you can switch anytime you want to, and then if you want go back to your other job. There are no real levels, only the level you are in a certain job.

Pure_Evil
02-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Dissectional+Feb 25 2004, 01:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dissectional @ Feb 25 2004, 01:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pure_Evil@Feb 25 2004, 12:47 PM
Thank God&#33;&#33; I thought you were going to do something realy stupid&#33; :oooo:

Oh no brother....you know better then that ;) [/b][/quote]
:thumbs: saved me the drive up to Michigan to beat some sense into you. And that&#39;s too much work :rofl:

PJ'l_Master
02-25-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Dissectional@Feb 25 2004, 04:33 PM
Going to go buy FFXI today....wish me luck.
what is that?

Pure_Evil
02-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Final Fantasy 11

review @ gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy11/review.html)

Dissectional
02-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by MarX@Feb 25 2004, 01:15 PM
The best thing about FFXI is you don&#39;t have to decide on one job...you can switch anytime you want to, and then if you want go back to your other job. There are no real levels, only the level you are in a certain job.
Okay, so I am assuming that even if you switch jobs, do you still have your spells, etc.? I mean, if I become a mage then change to a knight then back again, did I lose my ability to cast spells, then regain them, and could I still wear certain armor and stuff? Should I just read the damn book first&#33;? :rofl:

[EvL]Dakota
02-25-2004, 07:15 PM
(This is if you start as a mage) Once you switch jobs your mage will stay at the level you last had him at so yeah he will keep any spells he learned. As far as the equipment goes you will want to put them in your mog safe box in your mog house until you switch back.

You will most likely have to buy new equipment for whatever class you start because you will be starting at level one.

Once you get to level 18 you will get a support job. You may want to read up about the support job. It&#39;s a little confusing at first.

Dissectional
02-25-2004, 07:19 PM
So, then you have a dual job class so to speak? Salvation is a Red Mage/Knight I think... :WTF:

I am getting stoked. I should have bought it when it came out, but I am usually adverse to paying to play. But I so love FF... wub

MarX
02-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Dissectional+Feb 25 2004, 06:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dissectional @ Feb 25 2004, 06:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MarX@Feb 25 2004, 01:15 PM
The best thing about FFXI is you don&#39;t have to decide on one job...you can switch anytime you want to, and then if you want go back to your other job. There are no real levels, only the level you are in a certain job.
Okay, so I am assuming that even if you switch jobs, do you still have your spells, etc.? I mean, if I become a mage then change to a knight then back again, did I lose my ability to cast spells, then regain them, and could I still wear certain armor and stuff? Should I just read the damn book first&#33;? :rofl: [/b][/quote]
If you start out as a mage etc, and then you switch to say a war. You don&#39;t "lose" you spells or abilities, however you can&#39;t use them untill you hit 18 with the war. At Lv18 you can do the quest to get a subjob, so if you wanted to you can have war as your main, then after you hit 18 you can sub Blackmage and you now have mana and spell casting abilities. Subjobs have a Lv limit of half the Lv of the main job though, so you can only use the lower Lv spells

You are right though, generally you will lose the ability to use many of the abilites from one job if you switch to another, but you don&#39;t actually lose anything. Any spell you memorized as a blackmage will stay memorized no matter what job you switch to, you just may not have acess to it in certain jobs. As far as armor goes you can only wear what your main job will allow. For instance if your main job is black mage, and your subjob is warrior you can&#39;t wear any of the armor that usually goes along with being a war, you have to wear the blm stuff.

As far as the book goes...read it...then toss it somewhere, it&#39;s nearly uselss. Square released something like a 300 page guide with thier Japanese release, yet we get a little pamplet with the game...where did the rest of the info go you might wonder...well it&#39;s there... just in the form of Prima&#39;s official strat guide. They are selling us what the Japanese got for free. :bandhead: :WTF:

If you want to start on my server I can hook you up with a worldpass, and if you have any questions about in game stuff you can send me a tell and i&#39;ll be happy to help out with info/mission/quests (I&#39;m literally always on...its sad). You&#39;ll learn most of everything by actually playing for awhile, the first couple days can be somewhat overwhelming because there is so much that the instruction guide compleatly left out.

[EvL]Dakota
02-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Yeah im currently a Black Mage/White Mage. Your support job can only be half of what your main job is. So my Black mage is level 17 and White mage is 8. When I get my Black mage to 18 then White mage will go up to 9.

However your support job never gets EXP so it cannot level up. I would have to set my White mage to my main job to get gain levels again.

[EvL]Dakota
02-25-2004, 07:27 PM
:rofl: I think you can tell we are addicted Marx. I haven&#39;t been able to leave this thread much today.

MarX
02-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Hehe, I have it up on one of my extra computers...and keep refreshing it perpetually. Servers are under maintenence so I don&#39;t have anything to do ><

Dissectional
02-25-2004, 07:37 PM
I was going to put it on my laptop so&#39;s I don&#39;t bog down my &#39;rig&#39;..hee hee.

You guys are great...I will be in touch for sure.

And, I am sure I will be addicted also... :jammin:

PJ'l_Master
02-26-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@Feb 25 2004, 06:29 PM
Final Fantasy 11

review @ gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy11/review.html)
i thought so

Diss, its a proven fact that all FF games are addicting :thumbs:

goodbye life :wave:

PJ'l_Master
02-26-2004, 02:47 AM
is this totally online, or is it on a console?

Dissectional
02-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Online only for PC and PS2.

PJ'l_Master
02-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Dissectional@Feb 26 2004, 03:15 AM
Online only for PC and PS2.
:bandhead: :bandhead: :bawling: :bawling: :bandhead: :bandhead: