PDA

View Full Version : Need IRQ help

Pure_Evil
12-18-2002, 12:58 AM
I'm running win 98SE and have USB troubles and I've been told that I have to straighten out these conflicts. I'm clueless! I ran msinfo and this is what I found. Any sugestions besides upgrading to XP?

FUS1ON
12-18-2002, 01:12 AM
First off let me post your file for you.

IRQ 5 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 10 SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
IRQ 10 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
IRQ 11 Conexant PCI Modem Enumerator
IRQ 11 Creative SB Live! series(WDM)
IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 14 SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 15 SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller

I don't see anything wrong in that, IRQs are supposed to be shared like that.
Explain a little further what is going wrong or what are you trying to do? Like trying to install something, etc.... And then we can try and help you better. :)

Sirc
12-18-2002, 01:22 AM
I occasionally had problems like that too with 98. Since I upgraded to Win2K I haven't had any at all. :)

Slice
12-18-2002, 01:25 AM
Man I wouldn't let anything share with my vid card though!

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-18-2002, 02:08 AM
To share IRQs, you must have a ACPI BIOS. Since, the list is showing ACPI IRQ Steering, you do and these conflicts should not be a problem. The true test of a conflict is checking the specific device in Device Manager. Right click on "My Computer", select "Properties", hit "Device Manager" tab. If any device has a problem, it will appear with either a yellow or red mark. Double click a device catagory to see the devices under it. Double the device to see details about the device. Hit "Resources" tab to see what memory addresses and IRQs the device is using. Under the resources tab, at the bottom, a windows will either say "No Conflicts" or list the other device this one is conflicting with. If it says "No Conflicts", ignore the conflict reported by msinfo.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-18-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Slice@Dec 17 2002, 07:25 PM
Man I wouldn't let anything share with my vid card though!
With an ACPI BIOS, you don't get a choice. It will not let you change the assigned IRQ. Or so I've been told. :D

Sirc
12-18-2002, 02:10 AM
He said he is having USB problems. :)

MR. SLiK
12-18-2002, 02:35 AM
You can check in Device Manager for conflicts.

Dissectional
12-18-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc@Dec 17 2002, 09:10 PM
He said he is having USB problems. :)
But, if he is using PCI-IRQ steering and his boards bios doesn't support it, that could give him grief.

OUTLAWS The Machine
12-18-2002, 02:52 AM
He has 2 different interupts for the same thinkg

and

Should he remove the USB Host Controller from IRQ10?

Grimmy
12-18-2002, 02:55 AM
grrrrr I have a book on what IRQ's are for what. I am going to have to start carrying it everywhere. I can't remember them all.

FUS1ON
12-18-2002, 02:57 AM
Explain a little further what is going wrong or what are you trying to do? Like trying to install something, etc.... And then we can try and help you better.

I'll repeat myself. :blink:

Pure_Evil
12-18-2002, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN@Dec 17 2002, 08:12 PM
First off let me post your file for you.

IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 10 SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
IRQ 11 Conexant PCI Modem Enumerator
IRQ 11 Creative SB Live! series(WDM)
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 14 SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 15 SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller

I don't see anything wrong in that, IRQs are supposed to be shared like that.
Explain a little further what is going wrong or what are you trying to do? Like trying to install something, etc.... And then we can try and help you better. :)
Thanks for posting that for me. I also need the forum guide book! I'm still screwing up my posts.

I've been having conflicts with my digital camera and microtek scanner. Can't have them both installed at the same time without boot up and shutdown problems. So I said screw it, and just keep the camera on. Then I bought the Belkin Nostromo N50 keypad. I downloaded the drivers straight from Belkin. UT3 played well with it until I went online. Then things got slow and laggy. So I called Belkin and they said the drivers from the web site should've taken care of the problem. Then they had me run the msinfo. Under hardware resources/ conflicts/ sharing, I found what I posted and tech support said that the IRQ settings are causing the problem and since it's a USB problem they can't help... So here I am guys. I apreciate all the responses! Once again HELP! :(

Dissectional
12-18-2002, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Dec 17 2002, 09:52 PM
He has 2 different interupts for the same thinkg

and

Should he remove the USB Host Controller from IRQ10?
As I look I think that the video card is causing a conflict with the sound card if I read that right.
I have to look in my book also like Grimmy, I have that bugger somewhere...

FUS1ON
12-18-2002, 03:22 AM
These are what my IRQs look like.

0 : System timer
1 : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 : Programmable interrupt controller
5 : Creative SB16 Emulation
6 : Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 : Creative SB Live!
7 : IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
8 : System CMOS/real time clock
10 : 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
10 : IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 : VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
11 : IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 : IRQ NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
12 : PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 : Numeric data processor
14 : Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 : VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
15 : Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 : VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

As you can see I have a bunch of shared IRQs and my system works great. You sure have a bunch of devices sharing IRQ 11.
I might be wrong, But I don't think that is the problem.
USB ports rely on your power supply to power the devices attached and on some older motherboards they had some problems suppling enough voltage to run some bigger devices like you mentioned. What I did was get a 4 port USB hub that came with a external power supply to power it and that fixed it. Since you can only plug in one device at a time and have it work is why I mention this.

As for the gamepad acting up while online, I'm not to sure what might be causing that other than drivers or it might be related to my suggestion.

Pure_Evil
12-18-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN@Dec 17 2002, 10:22 PM
These are what my IRQs look like.

0 : System timer
1 : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 : Programmable interrupt controller
5 : Creative SB16 Emulation
6 : Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 : Creative SB Live!
7 : IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
8 : System CMOS/real time clock
10 : 3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
10 : IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 : IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 : IRQ NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
12 : PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 : Numeric data processor
14 : Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 : VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
15 : Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 : VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

As you can see I have a bunch of shared IRQs and my system works great. You sure have a bunch of devices sharing IRQ 11.
I might be wrong, But I don't think that is the problem.
USB ports rely on your power supply to power the devices attached and on some older motherboards they had some problems suppling enough voltage to run some bigger devices like you mentioned. What I did was get a 4 port USB hub that came with a external power supply to power it and that fixed it. Since you can only plug in one device at a time and have it work is why I mention this.

As for the gamepad acting up while online, I'm not to sure what might be causing that other than drivers or it might be related to my suggestion.
Can you recomend a USB hub? And how do I reassign IRQ settings?
I have the latest drivers for the gamepad and there are no conflicts showing in my device manager.
My specs are: P-4 1.6, ECS P4S5A mobo, 256 DDR ram, 40gig hd, G-3 ti200, SB live 5.1, win 98se

Pure_Evil
12-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Hey Shogun! Would you recomend this one? http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...roduct_ID=93743 (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_ID=93743)

Sirc
12-18-2002, 02:04 PM
Are all of your drivers up to date? I seem to recall from when I installed the UT2K3 demo that the readme file said if you don't have the latest sound drivers installed it would give you a significant performance hit. I would make sure EVERYTHING is up to date. Including your Windows98 and even Internet Explorer. All that stuff can be interelated.

Also check for less obvious things: I've started having problems before when my hard drive was insanely fragmented - defragment it. It wouldn't hurt to do a surface scan on it too. How much space do you have left on it? If it is more than 80-90% filled then it is time to clean some stuff off of it or get a bigger one.

When you boot your system be sure and wait for all the drivers and services to load before you launch any applications. (Wait for the HD light to go out.) Sometimes my sound driver doesn't load properly if I don't do this.

Do you use a virus scanner? If not then get one and scan your system.

Download Adaware and run that. You'll be surprised how much crap it will find running on your computer that you don't want running on your computer.

None of this may solve the problem, but it will eliminate most of the more obscure things that can indirectly affect computer operation. And it is good practice anyway. :)

Sirc
12-18-2002, 02:13 PM
Oh yeah, be sure and keep you toenails clipped. It won't have any effect at all on your computer performance, but it makes your socks last longer. :D

Pure_Evil
12-18-2002, 02:20 PM
I love adaware and do it weekly, I defrag monthly, I also am good on the AV thing. I don't think my hard drive is even 50% full and the last time I tested the Nostromo I shut everything down so i had 92% of my system resources free before I launched the game. I do the same thing when I host games. I think all my drivers are up to date and I run the software sound when I play to ease the load. I still don't know where the USB problem is coming from. I even installed a USB update from microsoft yesterday. I'm considdering checking to see if there's a bios flash for the Mobo. Last resort. Would the hub help?

Sirc
12-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Yes, I would try adding a self-powered USB hub. Shogun is wise. :)

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-18-2002, 05:16 PM
I also like the powered hub as a good thing to try. And I like Belkin. Just shop around for a good price.

However, I just noticed that your motherboard is using the SIS chipset. I'm not familiar with this chipset, but if it's anything like the VIA chipsets, there will be new drivers everyother day. Make sure these are current since they drive the USB Controller and main Hubs.

Grimmy
12-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Is there any advantage or disadvantage of getting a puter powered hub (don't know what they are called, they aren't self powered)?? I know I like everything off when I shut down the puter. My mom has one that gets the power from the puter, and it seems to work good, no probs (other then it is a mac).

Pure_Evil
12-18-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Behind You?@Dec 17 2002, 09:08 PM
To share IRQs, you must have a ACPI BIOS. Since, the list is showing ACPI IRQ Steering, you do and these conflicts should not be a problem. The true test of a conflict is checking the specific device in Device Manager. Right click on "My Computer", select "Properties", hit "Device Manager" tab. If any device has a problem, it will appear with either a yellow or red mark. Double click a device catagory to see the devices under it. Double the device to see details about the device. Hit "Resources" tab to see what memory addresses and IRQs the device is using. Under the resources tab, at the bottom, a windows will either say "No Conflicts" or list the other device this one is conflicting with. If it says "No Conflicts", ignore the conflict reported by msinfo.
OK, if I go through my device manager and find no exclamation points do I still have to check all my Resources tabs for conflicts? I'm not lazy. I just have lots of time at work to post and do research and verry little time at home to apply it. I work on imacs and can't even test any of this.

Grimmy, I'm watching a couple of Belkin routers on Ebay. Less than $20 delivered if I time it right! :devil:

How do I re-assign IRQ settings if I have to?

Slice
12-18-2002, 06:35 PM
If that doesn't solve your problem, try moving some pci cards around. Sometimes your motherboard assigns sharing to the different slots. For example pci 1/5 are shared by default on my board, regardless of the operating system. It seems to me that you have alot of resources drawing off IRQ 11. I had a similiar problem and once I moved some of my pci cards around and found the right combo, freeing up IRQ11 it worked fine. Even if it that isn't your problem, I don't think it is a good idea to have your sound card and video card on the same IRQ channel. My Geforce4 ti4600 requires so much bandwidth that when shared with my sound blaster card on IRQ11 it crashes out my machine. I allocated IRQ 11 to video only.

Pure_Evil
12-18-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Slice@Dec 18 2002, 01:35 PM
If that doesn't solve your problem, try moving some pci cards around. Sometimes your motherboard assigns sharing to the different slots. For example pci 1/5 are shared by default on my board, regardless of the operating system. It seems to me that you have alot of resources drawing off IRQ 11. I had a similiar problem and once I moved some of my pci cards around and found the right combo, freeing up IRQ11 it worked fine. Even if it that isn't your problem, I don't think it is a good idea to have your sound card and video card on the same IRQ channel. My Geforce4 ti4600 requires so much bandwidth that when shared with my sound blaster card on IRQ11 it crashes out my machine. I allocated IRQ 11 to video only.
I know I'm not too bright, but how do I re-assign my sound card or video card? :(

Pure_Evil
12-18-2002, 07:10 PM
Even dumber question! How do I find a available IRQ?

FUS1ON
12-18-2002, 07:27 PM

With the advent of Plug and Pray... oops I mean Plug and Play ( :P ) your computer's bios and the OS determine the IRQ assignment for you. In the old days you could adjust IRQs with legacy (pre-PNP) hardware. Like Slice said, You could try moving your sound card to a different slot to see if it will re-assign it another IRQ and I suspect it will. What I like to do is on a mobo with 5 pci slots is put modems & NICs (Network Interface Card) in the middle slots and sound cards in the fifth (bottom) slot. If your mobo has a ISA slot also and you have a ISA card in it, Put the sound card in the fourth PCI slot. Usually the fifth or sixth slot is a shared slot with the ISA slot if your mobo has one.

I'm not familiar with SIS chipsets, VIA has a mini-port IRQ router driver (Not to be confused with a USB router) that they suggest installing with Win98se to help assign IRQs and resources. Does SIS have something like that for your mobo and if so, Have you installed it? If you bought a pre-built computer it prob'ly was. Or did you build your machine and install the OS yourself?

I use the Belkin 4 port USB hub also, It cost like $24 at OfficeMax. Your link didn't work for me. :(

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-18-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@Dec 18 2002, 01:10 PM
Even dumber question! How do I find a available IRQ?
With an ACPI Bios, you don't. You move cards around like Slice suggested. Just make should your bios has PnP Operating System to disabled so the bios will initialize the interrupts.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil+Dec 18 2002, 12:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pure_Evil @ Dec 18 2002, 12:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Behind You?@Dec 17 2002, 09:08 PM
To share IRQs, you must have a ACPI BIOS. *Since, the list is showing ACPI IRQ Steering, you do and these conflicts should not be a problem. *The true test of a conflict is checking the specific device in Device Manager. *Right click on "My Computer", select "Properties", hit "Device Manager" tab. *If any device has a problem, it will appear with either a yellow or red mark. *Double click a device catagory to see the devices under it. *Double the device to see details about the device. *Hit "Resources" tab to see what memory addresses and IRQs the device is using. *Under the resources tab, at the bottom, a windows will either say "No Conflicts" or list the other device this one is conflicting with. *If it says "No Conflicts", ignore the conflict reported by msinfo.
OK, if I go through my device manager and find no exclamation points do I still have to check all my Resources tabs for conflicts? I&#39;m not lazy. I just have lots of time at work to post and do research and verry little time at home to apply it. I work on imacs and can&#39;t even test any of this.[/b][/quote]
Actually, only if you want to. It might be wise to at least verify the device you&#39;re having trouble with, that is the USB devices.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
12-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Sirc@Dec 18 2002, 06:13 AM
Oh yeah, be sure and keep you toenails clipped. It won&#39;t have any effect at all on your computer performance, but it makes your socks last longer. :D
Now that&#39;s what I would call sound advice&#33; LOL&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS high ping camper+Dec 18 2002, 01:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OUTLAWS high ping camper @ Dec 18 2002, 01:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OUTLAWS Sirc@Dec 18 2002, 06:13 AM
Oh yeah, be sure and keep you toenails clipped. &nbsp;It won&#39;t have any effect at all on your computer performance, but it makes your socks last longer. &nbsp; :D
Now that&#39;s what I would call sound advice&#33; LOL&#33;&#33;&#33; :D[/b][/quote]
The Best :lol:

Pure_Evil
12-18-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN@Dec 18 2002, 02:27 PM

With the advent of Plug and Pray... oops I mean Plug and Play ( :P ) your computer&#39;s bios and the OS determine the IRQ assignment for you. In the old days you could adjust IRQs with legacy (pre-PNP) hardware. Like Slice said, You could try moving your sound card to a different slot to see if it will re-assign it another IRQ and I suspect it will. What I like to do is on a mobo with 5 pci slots is put modems & NICs (Network Interface Card) in the middle slots and sound cards in the fifth (bottom) slot. If your mobo has a ISA slot also and you have a ISA card in it, Put the sound card in the fourth PCI slot. Usually the fifth or sixth slot is a shared slot with the ISA slot if your mobo has one.

I&#39;m not familiar with SIS chipsets, VIA has a mini-port IRQ router driver (Not to be confused with a USB router) that they suggest installing with Win98se to help assign IRQs and resources. Does SIS have something like that for your mobo and if so, Have you installed it? If you bought a pre-built computer it prob&#39;ly was. Or did you build your machine and install the OS yourself?

I use the Belkin 4 port USB hub also, It cost like &#036;24 at OfficeMax. Your link didn&#39;t work for me. :(
I had the system built/ patched together for me and I have upgraded the video card.

Once again, Thank you all for the advice&#33;&#33; :thumbs:

I think when I tackle this problem over the next few days I&#39;ll be :drink:
a lot&#33; :devil:

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-18-2002, 09:58 PM
Only if you bring enough :drink: for all of us. :devil:

FUS1ON
12-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Please remember to come back and tell us how you came out and what you did.

Pure_Evil
12-19-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN@Dec 18 2002, 05:05 PM
Please remember to come back and tell us how you came out and what you did.
I checked all the resource tabs in my device manager, evey stinking one and found no conflicts. I&#39;d like to shoot Belkin Tech supportless. I removed my sound card from the device manager and then moved it to the last pci slot on my board. Guess what&#33; Windows gave it the same IRQ as it had before. I went to the Sound Blaster web site to update the drivers and it didn&#39;t have a listing for a plain old SB 5.1, it had a 5.1 mp3, gamer, platnum. And to top it off the site rejected the model number that was stamped and labled on the card&#33;&#33;( SB0100) So needless to say I still have issues with my USB. I did order the Belkin 4 USB hub and should have it next week. Model # F5U021
:angry: :woot: :drink: :drink: :drink:

If it wasn&#39;t for bad luck...

Sirc
12-19-2002, 01:46 AM
The Platinum, Gamer, and MP3 are all Audigy cards. Is that what you have? Or do you have the SB Live&#33; card?

FUS1ON
12-19-2002, 01:55 AM
Also your card should have a number that starts with a "CT". Are you sure about the "SB0100"?

This is from SB website:

How to Identify Audio Products &nbsp;
SB Live&#33; Identification

Including the Sound Blaster Live&#33;, Value, MP3, Gamer, Platinum, and the 5.1 series.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;To identify the model number of this sound card, first shut down the system in order to safely remove the card.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Once the card has been removed from the computer, examine the upper left corner of the component side of the card. This is the location of the model number (CT number). Here you will see the letters "CT" and four digits (e.g. CT-xxxx). &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;If further identification of the sound card is needed, turn the card over on its back and find the black ink stamp in the upper left-hand region.

SB PCI Identification

Including the Sound Blaster PCI and Ensoniq PCI series

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Most model numbers (CT-xxxx) will be printed on the component side along the top edge of the soundcard. &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;If there appears to be no model number, please provide the number located on the box. The model number can be located in a red oval and can be represented as either "ES-xxxx" or "CT-xxxx."
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;If the box is not available, please provide the number located on the main chip of the soundcard. It may be in the "ES-xxxx" format.

SB ISA Sound Card Identification

Including the original Sound Blaster, SB Pro, AWE 32 and 64 series

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;All model numbers (CT-xxxx) will be printed on the component side of the soundcard in the upper left-hand corner.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;There may be CT-xxxx numbers located on some of the chips. However, these numbers are not the correct model numbers requested by Technical Support. &nbsp;

Pure_Evil
12-19-2002, 02:23 AM
Yes I&#39;m possitive&#33; That&#39;s what is ticking me off&#33; The SB0100 is stamped on 1 side and it&#39;s on a sticker on the other side. I&#39;m waiting for a response from SB tech support. The card says Sound blaster live 5.1

FUS1ON
12-19-2002, 02:33 AM
I have the same situation as you with my SB Live and I have noticed that the driver file name is the same for all the different versions of my card. The driver should be the same for your card too.
Try this, Start to download each driver (don&#39;t download it yet) and look at the names for each file and see if they are all named the same.

Pure_Evil
12-19-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN@Dec 18 2002, 09:33 PM
I have the same situation as you with my SB Live and I have noticed that the driver file name is the same for all the different versions of my card. The driver should be the same for your card too.
Try this, Start to download each driver (don&#39;t download it yet) and look at the names for each file and see if they are all named the same.
Thanks Shogun&#33; I thought I was losing my mind. I&#39;ll give it a shot when I get home. If this keeps up.. :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Pure_Evil
12-21-2002, 06:29 PM
Update. I have the Nostromo working but can&#39;t leave it plugged in the USB because my computer wont boot up. The system is runing better but USB&#39;s are moody. I hope the USB hub does the trick&#33; And No word or luck from Creative on the sound card. All the drivers on the site seam older than the ones I&#39;m using and they&#39;re dated 2001. Thanks again for your help. :thumbs: Hope :santa: treats you well&#33;