PDA

View Full Version : I need to quiet down my machine

SALvation
12-18-2002, 04:38 AM
I just got a new desk...one with a "digital dock" that they sell at OfficeMax. It basically gives you easy access to your box by putting it in a little cubby hole under your monitor. It's pretty cool except now that my box is closer to me, it sounds like a damn jet. It's running a 400W PS with no case fans and just a standard ATX case. How the hell do I quiet this damn thing down with spending minimal dollars?

Sirc
12-18-2002, 04:42 AM
It's probably your processor/graphics card fans that are making the noise. You can replace then with quieter ones. They don't cost much.

SALvation
12-18-2002, 05:12 AM
Well I have an AMD XP2000. Right now it has a Volcano 6cu heatsink/fan on it. What do you guys recommend?

Sirc
12-18-2002, 05:14 AM
That's a question for Shogun/Behind You?/Machine/Nobody. :)

Nobody
12-18-2002, 05:27 AM
I know just how you feel about the noise Sal. :D It could be your powersupply also, I have had a few of those that were extremely noisey. You could try insulating the case fro the desk, that helps alot sometimes as the fans can cause vibration through the case an into the wood of your desk. A simple piece of carpet may work if that is part of the problem.

FUS1ON
12-18-2002, 05:37 AM
SAL here is a HSF Review LINK (http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/15coolers.php)
I'll save you some time, The ThermalRight SLK-800 whipped them all. :)
I tried to find your desk at OfficeMax's website and didn't see it. I'm curious about the "digital dock".

OUTLAWS The Machine
12-18-2002, 11:30 AM
First you need to determine which fan is the loudes. If it is your cpu fan, you should replace it with a heatsink that will accept an 80mm fan instead of the loud 60mm fans. Or use on of the funnel adapters and put an 80mm on your current heatsink. 80's are a lot quiter than the 60's because the rpm's are half that of the 60's and put out the same air flow. You can also replace the fan in your power supply with a quiter one.

SALvation
12-18-2002, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. The desk is at www.officemax.com. Just search on "digital dock" and I got the $179 one. It came with a free hutch and file cabinet so I got $320 desk for $180. Pretty good deal.

Grimmy
12-18-2002, 06:05 PM
Sweet deal Sal. If you want to play carpenter, cut a hole and put a house fan in it. Nothing like an 12" fan with different speeds on it :wink:

Snip3r
12-18-2002, 06:31 PM
My new rig is as quiet as Slice in my room after dark :P

Grimmy
12-18-2002, 07:39 PM
:woot: :rofl:

FUS1ON
12-18-2002, 08:18 PM
SAL after looking at your desk's design, material and PC location, I can see what you are talking about. The way they have it designed it is really close to the user and the sound only has one way to come out. Sort of a mega-phone effect. Besides the suggestions to use bigger fans which will help a bunch, What I suggest is getting some sort of sheets of thin pourous foam and lining the inside panels of the desk enclosure that houses you computer. Sounds reflect off of hard surfaces really bad and the foam will absorb them like in a recording studio. This won't get rid of all the noise, But it will be quieter. The stuff i'm talking about is it like the foam on the back of mouse pads. Hmmm there's a idea, OfficeMax has cheap mousepads for like $3 a piece and would be easy to trim to fit. Most hardware stores sell spray 3M contact adhesive in a can. I think you get the idea now.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Good answer Shogun...Hmmmm...wouldn't be cheaper if he just went into his attic, got some of that asbestos he's been trying to get rid of and stuff it around the case...j/k :P :devil: B) :woot:

FUS1ON
12-18-2002, 11:13 PM
SAL here's another more expensive route. LINK (http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=4752)