PDA

View Full Version : Yoshi's Island review

Rivers
12-19-2002, 05:30 AM
Since it was suggested on the Metroid Fusion fourm for a Yoshi's island review I will do it. Now I have NOT played yoshi's island for the GBA so I do not know exactaly how it works on the GBA. But I have heard it is a mirror copy of the SNES version which I am very fimilar with so I will write the review based on my experiance with the original release. I'm assuming it is the same only on the GBA (which I think is better on the go) and with smaller buttons since that is what every review on the net says. I'll start off by saying Yoshi's island is a great game! Please do not shun it away because of its "kiddie" look and cartoonish feel. In fact a lot of people forget that this was the sequal to Mario World hence "Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island." With the pics I've seen and the buzz I've heard the GBA does a great job of taking the 1995's SNES graphics and putting them right into your hands. The only drawback I see is that this game was very easy to an advanced video gamer, I can breezer threw the game in about 2 hours or so. But there are some challanging levels and if you manage to get all 20 red coins in all the levels in one world you can unlock the bonus level and lemme tell ya the bonus levels are hard! I especially hate the first world's "Poochie ain't stupid" level argh! But this game should be more then enough to keep you entertained and the replay value is very high. I realize mario games may be a bit "kiddie" but, let's face it, there fun as hell and you won't wanna put it down. I give Yoshi's Island a 9 out of 10 as a whole for its great gameplay and for just being plain fun. Definatly worth your money. :thumbs:

666vicious666
12-19-2002, 07:14 AM
My friend and I payed that game today instead of concentrating on our chemestry test :rolleyes:

It is a nice agam, but kinda easy...Oh well...

Any picks Rivers?

Dissectional
12-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by 666vicious666@Dec 19 2002, 02:14 AM
My friend and I payed that game today instead of concentrating on our chemestry test :rolleyes:

It is a nice agam, but kinda easy...Oh well...

Any picks Rivers?
I'm not Rivers, but I suggest the super tough Mega Man Zero, and the not so tough but very pretty and cool
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance!

Dark Reign
12-19-2002, 05:39 PM
If you want a good RPG game for the GBA I give the "Dark Reign seal of approval" to Golden Sun. After that, you should pick up Golden Sun 2, which is soon to be released. :D

Troop
12-19-2002, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys for the quick response. You're review mirrors those on the web. I got a GBA for an 8 yr old and it included Golden Sun. He is pretty adept with video games and I want to get something that will challenge him. I picked up Metro Fusion yesterday but now I'm contemplating into exchanging it for Yoshi's Island. Decisions decisions.

Gun Element
12-19-2002, 10:52 PM
I want yoshis island.

Dark Reign
12-20-2002, 01:59 AM
Anyone play the original Yoshi Island? I bet that Mario baby gets very annoying fast.

Gun Element
12-20-2002, 03:56 AM
Played a littel of it and it was great, didnt finish though.

666vicious666
12-20-2002, 05:09 AM
I never played the SNES version, but I had the N64 Yoshi game.

Rivers
12-20-2002, 08:11 AM
The N64's Yoshi Story game was even easier then Yoshi's Island. Yeah one of the drawbacks to Yoshi's Island is that its kinda gonna be a walk in the park for hard core gamers, but like I said, some levels get challenging especially the bonus levels. Its a fun game with high replay value.

If your 8 year old is pretty good at games Metroid Fusion should be okay its not too hard. Yoshi's Island is a good choice for a kid so I'd actually go with the Yoshi game. I have heard good things about Golden Sun and the Castlevania game but have yet to try them. I need to learn to put up some damn screenies so then I could review older games. I just got a GBA so I have yet to try a lot of games but I have tried and beat mario kart super circut so if anyone wants a review on that I don't mind.

By the way nice new avatar vicious :thumbs:

Rivers
12-20-2002, 08:14 AM
Oh yeah, as mentioned before Yoshi's Island on the GBA and Yoshi's Island on the SNES are exactaly the same aside from the fact that your controlling one with the SNES contoller and one with the GBA's small buttons. And baby mario does get anoying fast which should be an extra insentive for you to not get hit. :P