PDA

View Full Version : cr rom question

Grimmy
12-26-2002, 04:51 AM
My mom got my bro a couple games for the holidays. One can't be installed, puter too slow, but the other is acting weird. When I tried to install it, it was as if there wasn't a cd in the drive, it wouldn't even read it in exploder, but I could put a different one in, and it would come up just fine. I though maybe it was the cd and she called me tonight and said that she got the game installed, but when she tries to open the game (you have to have the cd in, no no-cd-crack installed) it asks her to put the game disc in the drive, but it is already in there.

I have no clue where to start or what to check. It sometimes will read it, other times it won't. She is running winME (choke lol) The drive is a panasonic cr burner, if that helps.

Any thoughts? :(

Sirc
12-26-2002, 04:54 AM
No help here, but then I've never tried to read a cr rom in exploder before. :blink: :P :P :P :lol:

OUTLAWS Behind You?
12-26-2002, 05:01 AM
Either the disc is dirty or cd-drive is having problems. Double check all connections and make sure they are firmly attached. Does bios find drives at boot time? When trying to browse, is system real slugglish? I've seen this with dirty CD-Roms. Try cleaning it with Windex or alcohol. Make sure it's dried.

Disclaimer: All of above are SWAGs.

Grimmy
12-26-2002, 04:13 PM
The CD is brand new, and doesn't have any scratches. As for the cable connections, they have to be good, because I can stick another disc in, and it would read fine. I am sure that the bios sees it, but I have never looked. As for being sluggish, well it is only a PII 450, so I would say it is all together the whole thing is slow. When I browsed another CD, it didn't seem slow.

Hope that helps.

FUS1ON
12-26-2002, 04:24 PM
Grimmy try the disk in another machine and see what happens and if it works right and If you have some extra parts around, Then I'd start swapping parts on the machine that you are having problems with starting with the drive, then the cable.

OUTLAWS The Machine
12-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Yes, try in a different machine.

Looks like it's time for a new CD ROM.

Grimmy
12-26-2002, 04:47 PM
hmm, and that burner isn't that old either. I just thought it was funny that is wouldn't read that one disc all the time (sometimes it will, and others it won't) but will read the next one you put in, almost like it is something with the disc.

On the disc, it only said win95 & win98, nothing about ME. Could that be it by chance?

FUS1ON
12-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Dec 26 2002, 10:47 AM
On the disc, it only said win95 & win98, nothing about ME. Could that be it by chance?
Naw, I wouldn'd think so since ME is really just like Win98SE with a few extras. I'm betting the game is kinda old and was printed before ME came out.

OUTLAWS The Machine
12-26-2002, 04:58 PM
Hmmm. Try to burn a copy of it then use the copy.

Grimmy
12-26-2002, 05:39 PM
I would if the bruner would read it, but I don't have 2 drives. I asked the puter guy here at work, and he thinks it could be a bad CD, and to exchange it and get a new one. I will have to tell mom that and she what she comes up with. My bro also got Madden 2003, but there puter isn't big enough to run it. I was hoping that she would give it to me and I would check it out lol o well, not sure what she is going to do with it, sell it to someone I suppose.