PDA

View Full Version : plug and play USB

Grimmy
12-29-2002, 11:09 PM
How can I enable USB's plug n play. On the puter that I am working, I don't think that it is turned on. I can plug a new mouse into it, and shouldn't it recognize it?? Well it doesn't do anything, and I don't know how to enable it.

Also, if I get it enabled, I would like to hook it up to my cable modem. I don't know how to go about this. With XP, you can just make a new connection, but I don't see that on win98se. I see it for a dial up, but not for a cable modem. Maybe someone fly to here and show me how it is done :thumbs:

Death-Dude
12-29-2002, 11:30 PM
Well, first off, is your USB OK in Device manager? If it is, I think the preferred method for installing a USB device is to install the software first.

This page has some good info:

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

Grimmy
12-29-2002, 11:33 PM
yes, it is ok in the DM. I think I got it working now. The mouse doesn't move anymore. Check the other thread for what it was doing.

Death-Dude
12-30-2002, 04:11 AM
Yeah, I saw it. I'd really want to try another mouse, or try the same mouse with the P/S2 adapter first, you'd hate to reformat/reinstall, only to find you still have a mouse problem, and are back at square 1.

Grimmy
12-30-2002, 04:21 AM
he has many other problems too, so it wouldn't have hurt at all!

Death-Dude
12-30-2002, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Dec 30 2002, 04:21 AM
he has many other problems too, so it wouldn't have hurt at all!
There ya go! :lol: Man, I just troubleshot an athlon 1.0 rig in a Gateway case with a 235 watt PS in it, which was smoked. She has a DVD and a CD-r added in, too. Got her an Antec 350, it fires up again, an it comes into Win2000 pro, with 32 megs of RAM, and 12 useless programs starting up and sitting in the tray! Talk about trying to make your box run like crap! With those folks, a reformat is the best medicine by far.

Grimmy
12-30-2002, 04:33 AM
:rofl: