PDA

View Full Version : pc anywhere

Grimmy
01-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Anyone have this?? Is it easy to use? Thinking about getting it, but never used it before. Just want your thoughts and opinions on it.

OUTLAWS The Machine
01-06-2003, 07:10 PM
What is it? Link?

SALvation
01-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Get VNC. It's free and does most of the same things. Forgot where I got mine but a Google search should be able to help you.

Grimmy
01-06-2003, 07:15 PM
I think the VCN is realVNC.com I will have to check it out. It is pretty easy to figure out Sal?

Bones
01-07-2003, 12:04 AM
tightvnc.com

ME BIGGD01
01-07-2003, 08:24 AM
PC ANYWHERE IS PRETTY GOOD PROGRAM AND EASY TO CONFIGURE THROUGH YOUR FIREWALL OR ANYONE ELSES FOR THAT MATTER USING IP FORWARDING in routers advanced setup. sorry for the caps lock but do not feel like re typing the sentence. i use pc anywhere for some of my clients as it is the most stable but i also use netmeeting which works well and is free with any ms os. i use netmeeting when i know the other person does not have pc anywhere or vnc. if you ever have to remotely fix someones system or send them files --netmeeting is quick and also pretty good conference caller. when you are connected with netmeeting goto tools\sharing and when window pops up to the left higkight desktop and to the right of that click share. it's pretty simple but if you have to remotely connect to your own pc i like pc anywhere best because it seems to work with alot of platforms and has very good security encryption.

this is just my .02

OUTLAWS high ping camper
01-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Grimmy@Jan 6 2003, 11:05 AM
Anyone have this?? Is it easy to use? Thinking about getting it, but never used it before. Just want your thoughts and opinions on it.
I/we have it at work. I've never used it myself..........I have sat there, at my PC and watched others using it.......
Sorry I couldn't give you anymore input. :)

Grimmy
01-07-2003, 06:43 PM
I think msn messenger has it too, but both have to have XP and the same version of msn messenger. I have a friend that has problems with his puter a lot, and it is so hard to talk over the phone or in a chat. Just thought this way, I could show him. Same for my mom and the neighbor down the road.

Slash
01-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Definitely use vnc or you can get a free trial of gotomypc.com which is even better.

Grimmy
01-07-2003, 06:46 PM
I looked at the vcn, and nothing popped out at me. Teach me to use it Slash :wub:

ME BIGGD01
01-08-2003, 01:10 AM
vnc is good and free but i don't think it has as much security as pc anywhere. msn messneger does use the remote desktop feature in the windows xp os. if you just have to connect qiuck and fast without installing any software just use netmeeting. if you are using xp or 2000 just click on start\run\ and type conf

that will start the netmeeting program inside of those operating systems but if you have win 98 or me just goto start\accessories\communications\and netmeeting is there---but---to make sure you can just download the alstest netmeeting at www.netmeeting.com and there is where you will find it. it's quick, it's effective and has many other features. (geez it sounds like i am trying to sell you it

Bones
01-08-2003, 02:28 AM
VNC is as secure as you want it to be. Read this (http://www.e-secure-db.us/dscgi/ds.py/Get/File-10817/Re_VNC_authentication_weakness.txt). Why do I use it? Once installed on the target computer, I can control it using ANY browser with Java support, on any platform.

Death-Dude
01-17-2003, 03:03 AM
I'm not familiar with VNC, but PC anywhere is a good program. I used to do comp support for a large corp, and we always put it on, as we are spread out all over. When someone just messes something up, you can go in, look at their computer as if you were there. My buddies and I do a lot of support for friends and such, and we put it on those users who need you to run over to un-screw whatever they did. XP is supposed to have a similar feature, but I haven't dug into it yet.