PDA

View Full Version : video card

OUTLAWS Jag
01-09-2003, 03:05 PM
I want to purchase a new video card for a new comp that am buying and want to know what really is the best to buy. i have heard that the 9700 pro is the best but i have also heard that they are coming out with a new fx card should i wait for that one or buy one now. if anyone can help me that would be great the new comp is going to be.

P4
3.06 ghz
512 mb ram
533 fbs
120 gig hd

thanks to anyone that can help JAG

Dissectional
01-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Wait for the new one to come out. Then you can see if the price drops on the 9700 or just spend the money on what is going to be a better card,
the GeForce FX. I am buying the GeForce.

Pure_Evil
01-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Read this http://www.aceshardware.com/read_news.jsp?id=60000459

I never thought that ATI did as good a job on their drivers as Nvidia has done! The 9700 pro is the best going now but wont be in another month and a half! I'd wait, get the new FX card.

SALvation
01-09-2003, 04:08 PM
How much are you looking to spend? Personally I like nVidia cards better but keep in mind that if you keep waiting for the next best card, you'll wait forever because they keep leap frogging each other in quality every 3-4 months.

OUTLAWS The Machine
01-09-2003, 05:28 PM
I heard that the FX card will be out in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Grimmy
01-09-2003, 05:30 PM
me gonna get me the new GeForce card :woot:

OUTLAWS Jag
01-09-2003, 11:51 PM
thanks for all the help if there are any other suggestions that will make my computer better for online gaming that would be great

SALvation
01-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Read my tweakfest article under Spotlight.

OUTLAWS Jag
01-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey salvation Thanks for that article it was great any more info would be great

OUTLAWS The Machine
01-10-2003, 05:16 PM
The rest of your rig looks awesome. What kind of internet connection do you have?

OUTLAWS Jag
01-10-2003, 09:03 PM
machine

I have cable connection....and what does everyone mean when they say they have clocked their comp at a certain number

Death-Dude
01-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by jag@Jan 10 2003, 09:03 PM
machine

I have cable connection....and what does everyone mean when they say they have clocked their comp at a certain number
You can overclock your processor by manipulation the Front Side Bus and the clock multiplier. Your processor "megahertz" number comes from that interaction. But, with a P4 3.06, with hyperthreading technology and all that good stuff, you won't need to worry about it; at "stock" speed, it's the fastest chip around.

I agree with most of these guys, if you can wait until the GF-FX hits, you will at least have a price/performance choice for the very high-end of video cards. Even if you opt for the cheaper 9700 - a fine card - if you wait for the FX to come out, you'll get it cheaper, odds are. Are you ordering one right now? If you can't wait, the 9700 is the king of the hill, besting the the GF4 (my card) nearly everywhere, from a little to a lot. Especially in high resolutions, and when Anisotropic Filtering or Anti-Aliasing are used. The 9700 uses a 256-bit memory path, as opposed to the 128 bit mode the GF's use, even the FX. The FX makes up for it with a processor that has 32-pound testicles! (An interesting spec for a graphics card!) It will likely best the 9700 in most or all areas, but not always or by less where memory is taxed more. The FX will probably come out with 128 megs of RAM on board, really fast DDR-2 stuff, but the chipset will tolerate 256 megs of it, so we will no doubt see those cards before too long.

Any of that clarify or obfuscate the issue for you?

;) :bandhead: :blink:

FUS1ON
01-11-2003, 12:44 AM
Death Dude, I had to go look "obfuscate" up. Damn that actually is a word. :tounge:

Main Entry: ob·fus·cate
Pronunciation: 'äb-f&-"skAt; äb-'f&s-"kAt, &b-
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -cat·ed; -cat·ing
Etymology: Late Latin obfuscatus, past participle of obfuscare, from Latin ob- in the way + fuscus dark brown -- more at OB-, DUSK
Date: 1577
1 a : DARKEN b : to make obscure
2 : CONFUSE
- ob·fus·ca·tion /"äb-(")f&s-'kA-sh&n/ noun
- ob·fus·ca·to·ry /äb-'f&s-k&-"tOr-E, &b-, -"tor-/ adjective

Death-Dude
01-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN@Jan 11 2003, 12:44 AM
Death Dude, I had to go look "obfuscate" up. Damn that actually is a word. :tounge:

Main Entry: ob·fus·cate
Pronunciation: 'äb-f&-"skAt; äb-'f&s-"kAt, &b-
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -cat·ed; -cat·ing
Etymology: Late Latin obfuscatus, past participle of obfuscare, from Latin ob- in the way + fuscus dark brown -- more at OB-, DUSK
Date: 1577
1 a : DARKEN b : to make obscure
2 : CONFUSE
- ob·fus·ca·tion /"äb-(")f&s-'kA-sh&n/ noun
- ob·fus·ca·to·ry /äb-'f&s-k&-"tOr-E, &b-, -"tor-/ adjective
As used in the phrase, from a Political speechwriter to his candidate when reviewing text for a speech:

"That's pretty good, there are just a couple of points that need obfuscation".

:tounge: :cool: