PDA

View Full Version : For those who say American Media is not biased

Elessar
04-30-2004, 04:32 AM
"Sinclair to Preempt `Nightline' on ABC Stations, Cites Politics

April 29 (Bloomberg) -- Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. ordered its ABC affiliates to preempt tomorrow's broadcast of ``Nightline,'' which will air the names and photos of U.S. military personnel who have died in combat in Iraq, saying the move is politically motivated. "

Linky (http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aqgo9j99xhd4&refer=us)
thats a hardcore move (one i greatly appreciate) by Sinclair.

MR. SLiK
04-30-2004, 05:27 AM
ok we get the message, you are republican. sheesh.

Thundarr
04-30-2004, 05:25 PM
HELLO, it's sweeps time! Controversy = more viewers, hence I would guess it is motivated by money not politics... :rolleyes:

Pure_Evil
04-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Well our Government which is based on FREEDOM :rolleyes: wont allow he coffins of our men and women coming home to be shown, I would be surprised if they allowed this.

Burn the Witch
04-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Link (http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html)

Thundarr
05-01-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Burn the Witch@Apr 30 2004, 01:47 PM
Link (http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html)
:blink:
AN ACT To deter and punish terrorist acts in the United States and around the world, to enhance law enforcement investigatory tools, and for other purposes.

Reminds me of that little part at the end of a job description "and all other duties as assigned"... :dry:

Elessar
05-01-2004, 02:49 AM
So exploitation of our troops for money is alright?
i think its very apparent that its politically motivated, but if you would rather not see it as that, then so be it.

if this was to honor the heros who died in Iraq.. why did they not honor the heros who died on sept 11 by the hands of those cowards the same way?. . . its exploitation plain and simple any way you look at it.

Thundarr
05-01-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Elessar@Apr 30 2004, 10:49 PM
i think its very apparent that its politically motivated, but if you would rather not see it as that, then so be it.

if this was to honor the heros who died in Iraq.. why did they not honor the heros who died on sept 11 by the hands of those cowards the same way?. . . its exploitation plain and simple any way you look at it.
I guess you must've missed the big 9/11 memorial thing where they read off each and every person who was killed and they had their families at ground zero and whatnot... I'm not positive, but I think ALL networks ran that broadcast... :oooo: Never said I thought it was right or wrong... Just said I think it's more of a marketing ploy to get more viewers than it is a political ploy to bash the current administration.... Exploitation to some, honorable memorial to others... Did you think it was exploitation when GWB used the images of 9/11 on his campaign ads??? Some of the families of those killed sure did... :hmmm:

Pure_Evil
05-01-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Thundarr+Apr 30 2004, 11:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thundarr @ Apr 30 2004, 11:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Elessar@Apr 30 2004, 10:49 PM

I guess you must&#39;ve missed the big 9/11 memorial thing where they read off each and every person who was killed and they had their families at ground zero and whatnot... I&#39;m not positive, but I think ALL networks ran that broadcast... :oooo: Never said I thought it was right or wrong... Just said I think it&#39;s more of a marketing ploy to get more viewers than it is a political ploy to bash the current administration.... Exploitation to some, honorable memorial to others... Did you think it was exploitation when GWB used the images of 9/11 on his campaign ads??? Some of the families of those killed sure did... :hmmm: [/b][/quote]
Damn right Thundarr&#33; GWB used 9/11 for a excuse to invade Iraq as well.

Any WMD found yet??? a little over a year&#33; must be buried deap&#33;

Funny, they found Saddam, Bush&#39;s target, but Bin Ladden still remains free :hmmm:

Which one killed Americans?

Which one threatened GWB&#39;s Daddy?

How many think Bin Ladden will be caught in Sept/Oct.????

NightBreed
05-01-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@Apr 30 2004, 11:31 PM

:wave: Right here &#33;&#33;&#33;

Dan2
05-01-2004, 05:31 AM
C-SPAN is not biased.

I like to take the high road and believe that the fallen heroes in Iraq deserve the same treatment afforded those in 9-11. A little less pessimism of motive would be appropriate in this case. imo.

Mad Fox
05-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by NightBreed+Apr 30 2004, 11:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NightBreed @ Apr 30 2004, 11:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pure_Evil@Apr 30 2004, 11:31 PM

:wave: Right here &#33;&#33;&#33;

[/b][/quote]
:hmmm: :hmmm: hmmmm sounds right to me too :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

Elessar
05-03-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Thundarr+May 1 2004, 03:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thundarr @ May 1 2004, 03:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Elessar@Apr 30 2004, 10:49 PM

I guess you must&#39;ve missed the big 9/11 memorial thing where they read off each and every person who was killed and they had their families at ground zero and whatnot... I&#39;m not positive, but I think ALL networks ran that broadcast... :oooo: Never said I thought it was right or wrong... Just said I think it&#39;s more of a marketing ploy to get more viewers than it is a political ploy to bash the current administration.... Exploitation to some, honorable memorial to others... Did you think it was exploitation when GWB used the images of 9/11 on his campaign ads??? Some of the families of those killed sure did... :hmmm: [/b][/quote]
You defeat your argument that the 9-11 memorial was a marketing ploy Thundarr, because in fact all networks did air it voiding any vested gain, but anyways. . .

Your absolutely right Pure, Saddam never did break any UN resolutions and never killed any Americans; he didn&#39;t break any of the peace terms set from the end of the Persian Gulf War killing our troops... and the United States never did bomb Iraq under the Clinton admin as a result. :lol:

in regards to the presidents campaign ads. . the plain fact is, 9-11 was broadcasted live in our homes.....we witnessed those who died in that tragic event basically first hand and as such we shouldn&#39;t be surprised to see those ghastly images in the presidents campaign ads; it was a experience we all shared together.

If Bush&#39;s motives in regards to Bin Laden truly were political... he would not want to waist time finding him nor saddam. Which would look better, catching them both asap or waiting it out until the elections. Then think about how long it took to find saddam, someone as HATED by his own people as saddam.....then think realistically about how long it would take to find someone heralded as a god amongst his followers; such as bin laden is.

The fact is, if Bush found Usama Bin laden tomorrow you would all be pissed at the fact; because many of you don&#39;t like George W. Bush.

I think the soldiers in Iraq should be afforded the same treatment as those who died in 9/11 as well Dan. . . and I believe if that were the true intent of the media, then day one they would have stated the names of lives lost. Why they wait till the magic number of 719 troops dead beats me...doubt it has anything to do with that magic number (719) being blasted all over the news and subtle undertones of "George Bushes Vietnam" underlying all the news reports. it really beats the living **** out of me as to why they didn&#39;t do it from day one

Heres Sinclair Broadcasts statement about the issue
“We understand that our decision in this matter may be questioned by some. Before you judge our decision, however, we would ask that you first question Mr. Koppel as to why he
chose to read the names of 523 troops killed in combat in Iraq, and not also the names of the thousands of private citizens killed in terrorist attacks since and including the events of September 11, 2001. In his answer, we believe you will find the real motivation Koppels action scheduled for this Friday.”

the mere fact that the media thinks they alone have the power to make those heroes in Iraq individuals as seen in this statement below makes me sick.

"We wanted to make them individuals," he said. "Whether you agree with the war or not, these people are over there in our name, and paid the price with their lives.
"At least we can give them their names," he said.
:WTF:

Elessar
05-03-2004, 04:59 AM
also had Bush caught Bin Laden from day one none of you would have been satisfied; because if he could catch him that quickly then why didnt he catch him before 9-11 ever took place right?

Its a catch 22 for Bush in the eyes of most of the anti-bush crowd either way.

Pure_Evil
05-03-2004, 11:27 AM
:rolf1: you working for the Bush campain yet El??

Bush wont catch Bin Ladden, remember, he avoids combat :rofl:

:hmmm: what I&#39;m currious to see is if the American death count in Iraq will excede the amount of Americans who died on Sept. 11?

11 more died yesterday :down:

Thundarr
05-03-2004, 04:11 PM
You defeat your argument that the 9-11 memorial was a marketing ploy Thundarr, because in fact all networks did air it voiding any vested gain, but anyways. . .

Ummm, my argument was not that the 9-11 victims memorial was a marketing ploy at all... It was in response to this:
if this was to honor the heros who died in Iraq.. why did they not honor the heros who died on sept 11 by the hands of those cowards the same way?. . . its exploitation plain and simple any way you look at it. Just because other networks did not do something like this regarding Iraq, I suppose is their choice... BTW, there is nothing subtle about when people talk about "Bush&#39;s Vietnam" Alot more people are going to die before the Iraq Conflict is over... :( "Mission Accomplished?" HARDLY&#33; :oooo: :dry:

Add my vote to Usama being found in Sept/Oct, BTW... :shifty:

Elessar
05-03-2004, 05:06 PM
If you compare the Iraq war to Vietnam simply because both wars had casualties, then your comparison is baseless.

Heres a chart of the casualties in both wars
Length of US Involvement in Conflict
Iraq: 1 year (to date)
Vietnam: 10 years (1965 – 1975)
Percentage of Iraq as Vietnam: 10

US Military War Dead
Iraq: 719
Vietnam: 58,000
Percentage of Iraq as Vietnam: 1.2

Enemy Dead (estimates of both military and civilian)
Iraq: 10,000
Vietnam: 5,200,000
Percentage of Iraq as Vietnam: 0.1

Wounded American Troops
Iraq: 3466
Vietnam: 303,000
Percentage of Iraq as Vietnam: 1.1

by my calculations, the war in Iraq is a staggering 3.1% like the Vietnam War

Saddam&#39;s regime has been toppled and in that regard our mission is accomplished :wave:

All wars have casualties, why not compare it to World War 2 or even the Civil War in that respect? those wars had casualties as well.

Add my vote to Bin Laden&#39;s capture at least before bush&#39;s second term is up :w00t:

anyways i doubt i will jump back in and debate this any longer, if you buncha hippies :P wont have your opinion swayed then surely mine will not be either :thumbs:

Pure_Evil
05-03-2004, 05:22 PM
:mad: Hippie, hardly fool&#33;

If you compare the Iraq war to Vietnam simply because both wars had casualties, then your comparison is baseless.

I compare them because both got to a point where Americans died for nothing&#33; Both got to a point where we weren&#39;t wanted, both have gotten to the point where America looks real bad, like the recent POW issue now that makes us look as bad as the man we took out ( I know we&#39;re not that bad, but that is how we&#39;re going to be percieved) the main difference is money, this one is more about money than anything.

Bush getting a second term is scarry&#33; I wish the Republicans would kick his ass out and run McCain instead, then at least we would have a real man in the white house. Too bad JM screwed up on the abortion issue and ruined his chances 4 years ago :bandhead:

JIMINATOR
05-03-2004, 06:33 PM
mission accomplished.
ho-ray.
lets get out and go home.
next year there will be a new dictator killing the population.
buizness as usual.
that is the nature of the culture and nothing we are doing is changing that.
certainly not the humiliation of prisoners.
while I understand that that goes on,
and is probably pretty common for any prisoner of war scenario,
I cannot understand why the hell our soldiers are
so stupid as to make/allow a video documentary of it.
stupidity on the level of the guys who videotape themselves
breaking into a house and forgetting the tape....
just more ammunition for the arab world to justify their american hatred.
end it now.

Mr Clean
05-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Well well well, I am glad I logged on today, so I can put some realism into this thread.

AN ACT To deter and punish terrorist acts in the United States and around the world, to enhance law enforcement investigatory tools, and for other purposes.

Reminds me of that little part at the end of a job description "and all other duties as assigned"...

Thundarr, that is simply the summary of the bill, like on the back of a paperback novel. It is NOT the part that would become law.

Did you think it was exploitation when GWB used the images of 9/11 on his campaign ads??? Some of the families of those killed sure did...

There was nothing wrong with that ad. Personally I was "stunned" that some of those people happened to be union employees....gee what are the odds that they wouldn&#39;t like a Republican ad....

Damn right Thundarr&#33; GWB used 9/11 for a excuse to invade Iraq as well.
Any WMD found yet??? a little over a year&#33; must be buried deap&#33;
Funny, they found Saddam, Bush&#39;s target, but Bin Ladden still remains free&nbsp;
Which one killed Americans?
Which one threatened GWB&#39;s Daddy?

Bid Laden isn&#39;t a target too? Saddam has trained terrorists, has financially supported terrorists, he has also killed Americans, both civilians and military. He was the only current leader of a nation who not only has used WMD but used him on his own damn people. He didn&#39;t need to be removed? He was killing people everyday in his &#39;prisons&#39;.

Why has Saddam been caught first? Here&#39;s a thought: Bin Laden is surrounded by loyal and fanatical religious zealots in mountainous territory, while Saddam was surrounded by people who almost to a man hated him in flat river plain. Quite frankly the odds of finding Saddam were much higher. The Muslim people hold Bin Laden in much higher regard than Saddam (one reason is because Saddam is a Sunni, the clear minority of the two sects of Islam). Al Qaeda has been severly reduced. We haven&#39;t caught bin Laden yet but we have already defeated him.

Your absolutely right Pure, Saddam never did break any UN resolutions and never killed any Americans; he didn&#39;t break any of the peace terms set from the end of the Persian Gulf War killing our troops... and the United States never did bomb Iraq under the Clinton admin as a result

Clinton never took action against Bin Laden or Saddam because they never had good enough intel on the location of either of them. The Clinton admin DID want to try cruise missile attacks, particularly on Bin Laden....

I compare them because both got to a point where Americans died for nothing&#33; Both got to a point where we weren&#39;t wanted, both have gotten to the point where America looks real bad, like the recent POW issue now that makes us look as bad as the man we took out ( I know we&#39;re not that bad, but that is how we&#39;re going to be percieved) the main difference is money, this one is more about money than anything.

Pure, this war is not about money. What can you possibly base that opinion on? If we wanted OIL we could have taken the whole damn Middle East 20 years ago. America is by far the most powerful nation in the world and no one could stop us, but we don&#39;t because it isn&#39;t right. In the case of Iraq it was time to do something when the rest of the world didn&#39;t have the guts. Back in the 90s we followed the UNs plan for coutries like Rwanda, where ethnic violence between Hutu and Tsutsi tribes flared up. What happened? A million people died there, and the UN never did get around to doing a damn thing.

Americans are not dying for nothing. Dozens of military personnel die each year in accidents, but that is always on the back page in the paper....it is a risky business to be in. There are going to be losses in Iraq, that can&#39;t be helped. But Iraq is better off without Saddam, and the people there are still glad he is gone. America may look bad to other nations, but they sure as hell ask for our help when they need it. Be proud you live in a country that stands for something and refuses to do the politically correct UN-mandated thing.

Pure_Evil
05-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Pure, this war is not about money. What can you possibly base that opinion on? If we wanted OIL we could have taken the whole damn Middle East 20 years ago. America is by far the most powerful nation in the world and no one could stop us, but we don&#39;t because it isn&#39;t right. In the case of Iraq it was time to do something when the rest of the world didn&#39;t have the guts. Back in the 90s we followed the UNs plan for coutries like Rwanda, where ethnic violence between Hutu and Tsutsi tribes flared up. What happened? A million people died there, and the UN never did get around to doing a damn thing.
Americans are not dying for nothing. Dozens of military personnel die each year in accidents, but that is always on the back page in the paper....it is a risky business to be in.

There is a huge difference between a accident and intentionally putting people in harms way.

yes, it&#39;s about money, as long as we are in there, we control the rebuilding contracts, as soon as we pull out, everyone gets a shot&#33; It&#39;s not just oil, it&#39;s food and supplies too.

Mr Clean
05-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@May 3 2004, 12:57 PM
There is a huge difference between a accident and intentionally putting people in harms way.

yes, it&#39;s about money, as long as we are in there, we control the rebuilding contracts, as soon as we pull out, everyone gets a shot&#33; It&#39;s not just oil, it&#39;s food and supplies too.
So are you saying that the war was started on purpose to give US businesses contacts to rebuild the country?

I will assume you don&#39;t, because that would be a rather silly statement to make.

Why should French or German contractors be allowed to come in when their governments were unwilling to help? The coalition only contracts is only fair, screw the rest of them and their yellow leaders....

Pure_Evil
05-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Mr Clean+May 5 2004, 01:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr Clean @ May 5 2004, 01:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pure_Evil@May 3 2004, 12:57 PM

So are you saying that the war was started on purpose to give US businesses contacts to rebuild the country?

I will assume you don&#39;t, because that would be a rather silly statement to make.

Why should French or German contractors be allowed to come in when their governments were unwilling to help? The coalition only contracts is only fair, screw the rest of them and their yellow leaders.... [/b][/quote]
I didn&#39;t say that&#39;s why it was started, I said that&#39;s why we&#39;re still there..

Why should French or German contractors be allowed to come in when their governments were unwilling to help?&nbsp; The coalition only contracts is only fair, screw the rest of them and their yellow leaders....

Almost sounds like you agree... are you really Dick Cheney :blink: :unsure:

Mr Clean
05-05-2004, 06:07 PM
I didn&#39;t say that&#39;s why it was started, I said that&#39;s why we&#39;re still there..

It is still a silly statement. But then you believe Bin Laden will &#39;suddenly&#39; be captured right before the election too, so......

Almost sounds like you agree... are you really Dick Cheney :blink:&nbsp; :unsure:

Thank you for the tremendous compliment, but no. Are you really Sirc? :P :w00t:

:cool:

Pure_Evil
05-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Almost sounds like you agree... are you really Dick Cheney :blink:* :unsure:

Thank you for the tremendous compliment, but no.&nbsp; Are you really Sirc?&nbsp; :P&nbsp; :w00t:

:cool:
Obviously not&#33; Since I CAN post here :P :rofl:

Mr Clean
05-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@May 5 2004, 12:20 PM
Obviously not&#33; Since I CAN post here :P :rofl:
That never stopped him (until recently) :funny.gif:

You know how they say that you can never really appreciate someone until the are gone?

That saying is untrue :P

Pure_Evil
05-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr Clean+May 5 2004, 02:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr Clean @ May 5 2004, 02:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pure_Evil@May 5 2004, 12:20 PM
Obviously not&#33; Since I CAN post here&nbsp; :P&nbsp; :rofl:

You know how they say that you can never really appreciate someone until the are gone?

That saying is untrue :P [/b][/quote]
When was he someone??? :doh:

Mr Clean
05-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil+May 5 2004, 12:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pure_Evil @ May 5 2004, 12:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Mr Clean@May 5 2004, 02:39 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Pure_Evil@May 5 2004, 12:20 PM
Obviously not&#33; Since I CAN post here* :P* :rofl:

That saying is untrue :P
When was he someone??? :doh: [/b][/quote]
:shifty: true dat....

shuriken