PDA

View Full Version : Just what does a LAN war involve?

Caged Anger
05-06-2004, 04:19 PM
are all the computers direct linked or is there a server? Things like that. Not that I have any way to do one, but I just want to learn more about them

PJ'l_Master
05-06-2004, 04:24 PM
i think is depends on the size of the party...with lots of people you would awan to have at least a dedicated server that can run the games thgat you are planning on playing...with a small amount of people you wouldnt really need anything like that and someone hosting the game would suffice

Pure_Evil
05-06-2004, 04:28 PM
They have "Server row" that is linked into a huge swtich/hub ( awesome piece of hardware!), then lines go out to each table. Each player plugs his cat 5 cable into a hub at their table. There are at least 20 servers, and you can bring your own and hook it up at server row, if they know you're bringing it.

Just go to their web site (http://www.lanwar.com/event_info/DisplayAboutLanwar.asp) look at the big picture, FAQ, and seating charts.

any answer can be found at Lanwar site.

PJ'l_Master
05-06-2004, 05:16 PM
thats a good idea pure...didnt know about that

Caged Anger
05-07-2004, 02:53 AM
gees, looks like lots of fun. Maybe when I hit college I'll go to one. That won't be for 2 years at least though :lol: 15 goin on 16

Grimmy
05-07-2004, 07:40 AM
if any event, it doesn't matter if you are in the server row or not. You are networked with a server that would be less then (I am guessing) 200FT away. That is LAN pingage, it won't matter, it would be lagless (all know server limits, sam cant't handle 8+, found out at Outlaws LAN last year). It also depends on how many join your server. Password protect it if you have to, but you more then likely won't need to and you play with your friends and have a good time :)

Goober
05-07-2004, 10:04 AM
At the lanwar we were probably less than 200' from server row. I'm guessing that the whole room was about the size of a football field. The servers were hooked to a gigabyte switch and all the players computers were on 10/100 switches. Absolutely no lag (except for serious sam). Having your comp on server row allowed you to run a fulltime server while you played other games, went to eat, pee, etc.

Caged Anger, there were several folks your age at the lanwar.

Caged Anger
05-07-2004, 10:15 AM
eh, i don think the folks would go for that. Not exactly technology buffs....at all

FUS1ON
05-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Good LAN info LINK (http://www.lanparty.com/theguide/)