PDA

View Full Version : Linksys help

Phoenix
01-21-2003, 12:59 AM
Is it possible to set up my linksys so that my computer and another one(in the same house) are networked?

Dissectional
01-21-2003, 01:00 AM
Yeah. Your router should be dynamically dishing out IP's. If you are running desktop OS's, you have to create shares. Then enable file and print sharing, using computer name or IP. Easy as farting.

Phoenix
01-21-2003, 01:32 AM
Errr....so....how do I do this again? *I guess farting isnt as easy as i thoguht it would be*

Diablo
01-21-2003, 01:34 AM
Nope i got arouter but i dont like it causei cant make servers :(

Dissectional
01-21-2003, 01:36 AM
Okay, this is a lot easier for me to do, then it is to tell. You have to enable sharing on either machines. You need the computer name or IP addresses. Then, you connect to the share on the other PC's, using either name or IP. You can share printers and folders and crap like that.
You can password protect them or not. Use the 'Help' file. It has all the good stuff in it. And if you use XP, it has a handy little wizard.

Phoenix
01-21-2003, 02:03 AM
Ok, last question: How do I find out my computers IP?

Dissectional
01-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix@Jan 20 2003, 09:03 PM
Ok, last question: How do I find out my computers IP?
Go to a command prompt, type 'ipconfig' That is easier then hunting down your IP in XP's newly designed networking folder.

Goober
01-21-2003, 02:06 AM
You don't have to enable file sharing with a linksys router...Each computer has its own address with the router....One will be 192.168.1.100 the next will be 192.168.1.101 and so on...If you are running winxp.Go to Start......Run....type in cmd press enter type in ipconfig...this should show the address for your computer....then all you have to do is start one computer game as a server and the other one will join by entering the ip address of the server computer....LaSH and I did this a lot when the internet service was down and we were at his house.
My bad, didn't see the networking part....
I wouldn't suggest networking 2 computers with a router unless you are using a software firewall....when you enable file sharing I think you would be sharing files with the world.

FASTway
01-21-2003, 04:17 AM
Doesn't the router act like a good hardware firewall as is???

Nobody
01-21-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by FASTway@Jan 20 2003, 10:17 PM
Doesn't the router act like a good hardware firewall as is???
Yes it does !! Or atleast most do.

FASTway
01-21-2003, 04:31 AM
SO it should be ok for Phoenix to share files on his network,
and not worry about open ports...right?

Linksys is ok for that right?

Dissectional
01-21-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by FASTway@Jan 20 2003, 11:31 PM
SO it should be ok for Phoenix to share files on his network,
and not worry about open ports...right?

Linksys is ok for that right?
Yes. My linksys does that. You have to jump through some hoops to server a match of UT2003, but it is a nice firewall also.

ME BIGGD01
01-21-2003, 08:27 AM
i am not sure of the problem you are having phoenix but i will try to answer what i think you are asking.

first
i thought you were on 56 k modem so i would think you just want to network your systems together. right click on the icon network neighborhood (win98) or my network places (xp) and goto properties.

under windows 98 click on the identification tab and set the workgroup name to what you want on both computers.
restart pc

now right click on networkneighborhood again then properties and where it says add click on that choose service and add microsoft file and printing sharing.
restartpc

do this on both computers

make sure tcpip is set to dhcp also in the same section where you added file and printing sharing-
how do you ck?--right click on the protocol tcp-ip and goto properties--there it will say dhcp enabled

under xp--right click on network neighborhood and properties---goto advanced on the menu bar and choose network identification and set workgroup the same on both pc's
reboot pc

you do not have to install file and printing sharing in xp as it alreadys is or will enable it as soon as you create folder and share it
how do i share a folder in xp?---create a folder or right click on the folder you want to share (same goes for a drive)and click on sharing.
under xp if you are running ntfs you must make sure you have the user from the other pc installed.
what the hell do you mean?----if user name is the logon name on other pc, you have to create an acount on the pc with the name bill and assign the user his rights to the folder.

what about my linkssys
well if it is just a hub then instead of setting you tcpip of your network card to dhcp you have to assign your own ip
how the f do i do that?---look at instructions above and when you right click on tcpip of your network card set it to assign ip
now set an address in this range on both pc's
192.168.1.1-255-----1-255 means a number from 1 to 255
255.255.255.0 as your subnet
click apply and restart

if it's a router
you are pretty much set already and being behind a firewall you are pretty safe. but now if you want to start a server look for the ipforwarding in the router and issign the port of whatever to the pc you are serving from. i do not reccomend setting any router dmz as there is no point of firewall.