PDA

View Full Version : HOW-TO Map for SS:SE; Volume One

FlameRush
09-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Each volume will offer 2 HOW-TOs, this one will offer: Quicksand, and Making Execellent Shadows...

Quicksand:
First, you need to:
--
- Create the ammount of quicksand you want, and customize it
- Goto Polygon Mode, and choose what you want your quicksand to be, then goto the options for polygons(Q), where you have what your quicksand is, make it passable, then next step...
-----
Next, You will need:
--
- Gravity Marker for the quicksand, then goto sector mode, and edit it, set the gravity marker to it
- Adjusted Gravity to your feel of how fast you will sink
-----
Finally:
--
- Make a box, or sector in where you want to kill player before he/she sinks in the quicksand
- Select the box in sector mode, and goto options, and make it spike, or lava(Best prefered spikes)
- And for a extra feel, make another box on top of the spike sector, for cold water, or 10 damage a second lava, maybe desert heat(Depends on your sink rate), to make it more realistic, this is optimal...

I hope this works out for ppl I had 3 ask how to do it, but this is not tested, Im working on it now
__
Nice Shadow Makin:
To make shadows, this is easy:
--
- Make a light where you think shadow will look good at, then make it dynamic, or non-dynamic, where dynamic has a wierd look to the light, but it fits in and fixes bugs with 2 sector lights, and evens them out
- If the light goes to a point you DONT want, then make another light where you dont want the light from the first to shine at, then make it a dark light, and adjust its strength(Fallout/Hotspot)
-----
Finally(Optimal):
--
- Add some models, and make some effects
-----
Optimal Kickass Performance Light:
--
- Where you can name your world, at the top center of the tool bar in the editor, next to the globe, 3 circles, or lights, 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 orange, use that function to adjust how the light sets out, and shines, to make lighting awesome

I dont see that type of stuff in many maps, ppl just make maps, and they decide its gonna be SOME shadow, but my streets map has lights that buzzes on, and off, like real life, and shadows, you can stay under shadow for some time to hide from a player, then light cuts in for a second or too, I hope this help people make better maps...

This is The End of Volume 1; Quicksand and Shadow Making
Motto: I hope to see some of this in some maps

FlameRush
09-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Experimenting with quicksand, Ive almopst got it to work, but the editor crashed on me, so I need to do everything agains(Not a big problem), but I know a funmap to make, just to have fun, itd be called Frostbite, a coop map, where you gotta get through certain parts to get to the next, while trying to make quicksand to makesure it works, I found I can make a slide(slowsink), what will doo ok for quicksand, but thats just all, low quality, but someone will find a way to make quicksand

merkwannabe
09-05-2004, 03:14 AM
Nice tutorial! ;)

It seems so complicated.. I think I'll just leave it for the pros! :D

Insomnia
09-05-2004, 04:26 AM
Mmm P.i.m.p.

FlameRush
09-07-2004, 03:43 AM
Pros dont need screen shots ;)

Nitro
09-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Well, in the next verison of sam which will prob come out AFTER Quake IV, you can make your very own quicksand :)

FlameRush
09-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Well, in the next verison of sam which will prob come out AFTER Quake IV, you can make your very own quicksand :)
And that is the future, now is now, when sam 2 comes out, Ima learn how to map for it