PDA

View Full Version : Unreal II - $50?

Death-Dude
01-27-2003, 03:34 AM
I see Best Buy and EB have U2 for pre-sale at $49.99. I'm sorry if it sounds cheap, I know they spend a lot of time developing software, and there are a lot of hands to be paid in the process. Still, when they charge $50 or $60 for a game, it really encourages people to pirate it. Now, I will probably buy it despite that, but just as I was pleased that UT2K3 was released at $40 first day, I'm disappointed that they are going up to $50 for U2, it seems like gouging. Actually, I could see $50 for the MP version more than I can the Single Player side. But I'm bummed a bit, as I was ready to go get it first day, and now I may wait for it to come down. I really think they would make more money at $35-$40, and it makes me want to go out and get SSSE, as those guys put out both Sams at well under those prices ($20?), and they didn't have any big companies supporting them while they did it. Hats off to Croteam, Shame on EA and/or Infogrames Inc.

:bawling:

OUTLAWS The Machine
01-27-2003, 04:03 AM
$50 is crazy for games. If they sold them for $30 I bet they would sell more then twice as many. I will buy it anyway though. What is the release date?

Death-Dude
01-27-2003, 04:19 AM
February 4. I agree with you, if they were more reasonable, I think piracy would decline, and initial, impulse sales would be much better. It dissappoints me mainly because all the Unreal titles have been reasonably priced. UT was a little higher, but they went back to $40 for UT2K3, so I had hoped it would be so with U2 as well. Especially with an SP game, that you could buy with friends and trade around until everyone has had it. I'll give it to a buddy when I'm done, but I'd never give out my key for online.

SALvation
01-27-2003, 04:45 AM
I know that the game doesn't have deathmatch, but does it have co-op? That is the only thing that would make me buy it.

Death-Dude
01-27-2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by SALvation@Jan 26 2003, 10:45 PM
I know that the game doesn't have deathmatch, but does it have co-op? That is the only thing that would make me buy it.
Last I heard, no. And I know there was a significant percentage of folks who do want it, but they decided against it, opting to concentrate on a SP, non-networked game.

OUTLAWS DirtGod
01-28-2003, 04:32 AM
Go out an buy this months PC gammmer and get 10 dollars off of Unreal II at EB stores

Diablo
01-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Thats what i got :shifty:

Pure_Evil
01-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Death-Dude@Jan 26 2003, 10:34 PM
I really think they would make more money at $35-$40, and it makes me want to go out and get SSSE, as those guys put out both Sams at well under those prices ($20?), and they didn't have any big companies supporting them while they did it. Hats off to Croteam, Shame on EA and/or Infogrames Inc.

Yes but for every GD f-9 I get I have to remember that I only paid $10 for SSSE. I hope that for $50 it will be stable and smooth, if not right away, in a couple of months after release. I can't even rent a server to host SSSE! That's why the price for SSE is so inexspensive. If you paid $50 for it you'd be livid.

Death-Dude
01-29-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Pure_Evil@Jan 28 2003, 08:29 AM

Yes but for every GD f-9 I get I have to remember that I only paid $10 for SSSE. I hope that for $50 it will be stable and smooth, if not right away, in a couple of months after release. I can't even rent a server to host SSSE! That's why the price for SSE is so inexspensive. If you paid $50 for it you'd be livid. [/quote]
I see your point, and I'm sure it will be very smooth. Since there is no net code to deal with, it probably won't need much patching, and will be just install and go. Thanks for the heads-up on the PC Gamer deal, guys, that'll save $5 after the price of the mag. I have a buddy who get's that mag, too, and he'll probably give it up.