PDA

View Full Version : Sal and Psi in Their New Playground

SALvation
12-07-2004, 04:37 AM
A great first win by me and Psi. Beware, MERC has a new playground...

Dangerous Dan
12-07-2004, 04:55 AM
A great first win by me and Psi. Beware, MERC has a new playground...
BOOOO!!!!! you'll never get in shape for SS2 playing sissy games like that, i mean, you fling a toilet at ppl in HL2 ;)

oh, and gg btw, and may the ownage be with you

SALvation
12-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Here is a nice shotgun to the head and nicely finished by tagging my sign over his lifeless body. :)

SALvation
12-07-2004, 05:28 AM
Here is a gentle shot of burning rebar to the elbow joint pinning him against the wall.

Die Hard
12-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Hmm, looks interesting! GG BTW :thumbs:

Pure_Evil
12-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Any chance of Merc scrimming with my UT2k4 instagib CTF clan?

:TsT:* (The Soul Takers)

Look us up. Muahahaha! :P :D

:hmmm: I see Schism wants to start with the guppies :P

GG's Sal and DL :thumbs: but who was in first on your team?

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
12-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Good game Sal and DPsi.

I'm curious, how does Valve explain how the Gravity Gun works? Because in order to produce a gravitational force (or attraction) between two objects, there are two factors involved: mass and distance. This gun, when activated, would have to overcome the gravitational force of the Earth in order to move an object off of the ground. The gun would have an advantage in the distance department because the center of mass of the Earth is approximately in the center of the Earth, but as far as mass is concerned, the Earth has an extreme advantage.

The equation for gravitational force is: F_g = [G(m_1)(m_2)] / (r^2)

G is a constant and for comparative purposes can be left out, m_1 is the mass of one object, m_2 is the mass of another object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

So by doing some quick calculations, the gravitational pull that a TV monitor experiences from the force from the Earth (if the monitor is on the ground) is approximately 1250 N.

Now, in order to produce this same attraction from the gun to make the monitor move (assuming the gun was two meters away from the monitor) the gun would have to weigh 4 trillion kilograms, or over 4 billion tons!.

So that’s why I’m curious about how Valve explained their gravity gun. Thanks.

SALvation
12-07-2004, 03:23 PM
I think they explained it by saying "it's a game". :)

Seriously, it doesn't even matter. The gravity gun is the most unique fun weapon I've ever seen in an FPS game, and it works perfect in deathmatch. It is the default spawn weapon so you can either use it to grab a filing cabinet and have it act as a shield, or a weapon. It makes the environment you're in actually matter.

::: DARK PSI :::
12-07-2004, 03:38 PM
I don't know about all that .. but I sure like hurling urinals and toilets at Sal's head!

Good game Sal and DPsi.

I'm curious, how does Valve explain how the Gravity Gun works? Because in order to produce a gravitational force (or attraction) between two objects, there are two factors involved: mass and distance. This gun, when activated, would have to overcome the gravitational force of the Earth in order to move an object off of the ground. The gun would have an advantage in the distance department because the center of mass of the Earth is approximately in the center of the Earth, but as far as mass is concerned, the Earth has an extreme advantage.

G is a constant and for comparative purposes can be left out, m_1 is the mass of one object, m_2 is the mass of another object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

So by doing some quick calculations, the gravitational pull that a TV monitor experiences from the force from the Earth (if the monitor is on the ground) is approximately 1250 N.

Now, in order to produce this same attraction from the gun to make the monitor move (assuming the gun was two meters away from the monitor) the gun would have to weigh 4 trillion kilograms, or over 4 billion tons!.

Gorre
12-07-2004, 06:31 PM
gg salvation:thumbs: :D :cool:

SoulReaver
12-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Good game Sal and DPsi.

So that’s why I’m curious about how Valve explained their gravity gun. Thanks. I'm confused. BTW GG! :thumbs: I don't like HL2 DM that much.

Death Engineer
12-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Good game Sal and DPsi.

Yeah! And also, how do people spawn after dying? How do they jump and run after getting shot. This game isn't real at all is it!!! :rolleyes:

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
12-08-2004, 02:50 AM
Judging by the trailer and what others have told me, I was under the impression that Half-Life 2 was set in a world that was supposed to be semi-realistic in nature. I am not criticizing the game and I am not trying to say that it is unrealistic and therefore flawed (in 2004, to say that any game is realistic is absurd). Because I do not have the game, I asked for Valve's explanation of the weapon - in the majority of FPS games, there is usually a description of invidual weapons. That is what I was looking for. My little explanation was merely some numbers to give my inquiry some validity, and not a criticism.

EXEcution
12-08-2004, 03:10 AM
The Tom Clancy games are almost as close you'll get to "realism" IMO
But GG SAL and Lev, hl2dm is kinda fun i guess, still doesnt beat ssam tho.

JIMINATOR
12-08-2004, 03:10 AM
lol, 9x, gravity is the weakest force in the universe, by orders of magnitude, so I would have to guess that it warps the time space continuum and causes objects to fall towards the gun, a localized gravity field (or some unknown force X field). This is actually very common, just watch star trek where the have similar technology to allow them to walk on all of their ships... and the long range version of this device is called a "tractor beam" :D

Slice
12-08-2004, 03:30 AM
Judging by the trailer and what others have told me, I was under the impression that Half-Life 2 was set in a world that was supposed to be semi-realistic in nature. I am not criticizing the game and I am not trying to say that it is unrealistic and therefore flawed (in 2004, to say that any game is realistic is absurd). Because I do not have the game, I asked for Valve's explanation of the weapon - in the majority of FPS games, there is usually a description of invidual weapons. That is what I was looking for. My little explanation was merely some numbers to give my inquiry some validity, and not a criticism.
I would have to say you got the wrong impression about the game.

Die Hard
12-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Er...does anyone think they're serious? :o

mod
12-16-2004, 06:43 AM

Seriously, it doesn't even matter. The gravity gun is the most unique fun weapon I've ever seen in an FPS game, and it works perfect in deathmatch. It is the default spawn weapon so you can either use it to grab a filing cabinet and have it act as a shield, or a weapon. It makes the environment you're in actually matter.

hehe*

mod

Nightflier
12-17-2004, 01:35 AM
WTH are you playing??? I think you need a little fearing of the NIGHT! :cool:

Eat me some MERC leaders... Back when I first met you, I was a mere pupil...now I will take you. HEhehehehe

Nightflier
12-20-2004, 01:38 AM
Haven't they kicked you out of the Outlaws yet NF? :P

It's been a long time! What game(s) are you playing now?

(And if you don't know who I am, ask around. :D )
Oh me??? I still play Quake 3, over and over and over again. Those old farts gotta find us a new clan game to play. SS2 brought us all together, but we need another cool game to play. We would have soooo many players to compete with the world with just our GM crowd here.
I've always been around, but rarely leave the hideout. Last I heard, I think the rumor was that you were SIRC. If that's true, then Hi. If not, then who the he11 are you? :D

Ohhhhh yeah, no response from the MERC leaders cause they feared me good! :ha:

SHOTGUNmaniac
12-29-2004, 11:57 PM
The Tom Clancy games are almost as close you'll get to "realism" IMO
But GG SAL and Lev, hl2dm is kinda fun i guess, still doesnt beat ssam tho.

Well said.....Dont think anything could beat sam.... I left that cd in the drawer for months, and finally, I had to get it out again..just couldnt resist. lol. Just gotta remember how to play.

PJ'l_Master
01-09-2005, 03:12 AM

its true...the gravity gun, and a saw blade=REALLY FRIGGEN COOL!!!!

Catalyst
01-09-2005, 09:53 PM
GG :thumbs:

Half-life2 PWNS, gotta love those plasma ball things :cool: