PDA

View Full Version : Is Unreal II Gonna Suck?

Burn the Witch
01-29-2003, 12:06 AM
I've played the original, (I own it still) and completed it. It was great. IMO (which is a minority view) it is better than Half Life. I just don't like the Quake Engine I guess, too slow :unsure: .

I got the Unreal II video off fileplanet. I thought it was gonna be awesome. It wasn't. It was average. If you compare games, Halo took so much stuff off Unreal. It was groundbreaking, first game with a real sense of tension, first game with a decent zoomable weapon etc. I thought Unreal II was gonna break the mould.

And today Legend and Epic announced there would'nt be a demo, do you think this is because they realised that its not great and they just want to release it? :( I am beginning to have severe doubts about this, and I was so looking forward to it :(

|SCK|Sephiroth
01-29-2003, 01:06 AM
its gonna be great!

OUTLAWS The Machine
01-29-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Neo-Karma@Jan 28 2003, 08:06 PM
its gonna be great!
I think it will be good as well.

Sirc
01-29-2003, 02:16 AM
I've never played the 1st one, so maybe I'll enjoy it too. :jammin:

OUTLAWS The Machine
01-29-2003, 03:38 AM
Anyone got any screenies they can post?

SALvation
01-29-2003, 04:49 AM
It'll be great, but save up for a new monitor because you will punch the screen when you realize how short it is. I've heard it is easily finished in less than 5 hours. :(

I'll pick it up when it hits $20-$30

Drunken Warrior
01-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@Jan 29 2003, 02:49 AM
It'll be great, but save up for a new monitor because you will punch the screen when you realize how short it is. I've heard it is easily finished in less than 5 hours. :(

Really, after the first one being as long as it was. That would be a great disappointment for me because I loved the first one :bawling:

Dissectional
01-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by SALvation@Jan 28 2003, 11:49 PM

No different than a lot of console games SAL.

Burn the Witch
01-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Games Are Getting Shorter. I am Sad ( that games are getting shorter :devil: )

Death-Dude
01-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Here are Fragmaster's first impressions:
Unreal II: Quick First Impressions - Fragmaster -
1/28/03 15:54 PST - General Unreal II News
Well, I’ve had the chance to play through the first two missions of Unreal II, and here’s what I think so far:
Graphics? Everything looks really snazzy. Legend’s art team did a top-notch job. Gameplay? After playing UT2003, the player movement feels a little slow, but the battles are still quickly paced and intense. The smarter monsters show some neat AI, like deftly rolling away from your shots. The levels are fairly straightforward, though, without much room for exploration. Sometimes objectives aren’t as clear as they could be, but they’re easy enough to figure out. As far as weapons go, I’ve found myself relying on the Assault Rifle, especially its powerful secondary fire.

The storyline is pretty extensive and tightly integrated into the game. There’s plenty of cut scenes. You can carry on conversations with other characters, but so far there’s not much in the way of branching and it doesn’t really matter how you answer. I was worried about the quality of the voice acting after watching the trailer, but for the most part it’s well done and not annoying.

I don’t want to spoil any surprises for anyone and it feels like I’ve just started, so I’ll stop there. As for how the game performs, well, it does run slower than UT2003, probably due to the increase in level detail and more wide open spaces. With most of the high details up at 1024x768 on a 2.4ghz, 1gig RAM, GeForce4 machine I average about 40fps whereas I nearly always stay over 60fps on UT2003 with similar settings. Your results will vary, of course. Oh, and I did notice a few minor model clipping bugs, but nothing major.

Anyways, so far everything seems pretty solid, and now I’ll go back and play some more.

And, some Screenshots:

U2 Screenies (http://www.planetunreal.com/unreal2/screenshots/)

Also, some guys here told me that PC Gamer mag has a $10 off at EB coupon. Minus the cost of the mag, that's $5 off, so $45 and a PC Gamer mag for U2. Still pretty dear, but I'll go buy one.

Burn the Witch
01-30-2003, 12:39 AM
I found some more stuff to bitch about!

The Weapons. Have you guys heard the weapons list? It sounds pretty crappy to be honest, the pics of the sniper rifle look awful, and some of the weapons sound pretty wacky (in a bad way) they actually remind me of the weapons from...Blood 2 and Daikatana URRRGH!

5 Hours Completion time i heard mention...well blah! It should be at least triple that for a good FPS (I mean good, not simply "long")

They took the easy option out with the story, I really wanted them to use the same character (even if he had no name?) Instead we get the straight up done to death macho marine stereotype....its not good....could you imagine Half-Life 2 without Gordon Freeman?

:bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead:

OUTLAWS The Machine
01-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Screenies look pretty sweet.