PDA

View Full Version : Question about load time

01-09-2005, 10:53 PM
OK so I retired from Sam. Since I barely tried UT2004 other than the occasional game of Onslaught I figured I'd give it a shot in Deathmatch as I had a rare free weekend.

But I have a weird technical problem...really long load times. I was sitting in a pub server and cycling from map to map with the same group of people but I would come in like 20-30 seconds later than everyone else. :confused:

I have a pretty good computer (only have 512MB RAM but other than that I've got a pretty good setup-AMD 2500+, Raptor hard drive, 9800 Pro 128MB). I also have a fairly fast DSL connection with low ping. So I wouldn't think I had the worst comp or connection on the server.

Any ideas?? :confused:

OUTLAWS 9.99repeating^32
01-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Hey, glad to see you took up UT.

To your question:

First and foremost, make sure you have "Preload all player skins" unchecked. If enabled, that will greatly increase your level loading time, and really isn't worth it.

512 MB of RAM is a little bit low, especially if it is at a low speed; you might want to try and get another stick of 256 or 512 MB of RAM if you can. That will drastically improve your loading times.

Also, be sure to check out this thread (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=360472&highlight=load+times) and also this thread (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=410870). Finally, here is a great tweaking guide (http://www.tweakguides.com/UT2004_1.html) that will probably help not only your loading time, but your gameplay in general.

01-10-2005, 12:43 AM
As simple as the pre-loaded skins. What a n00b!! :rolleyes: I'll definitely check out the other links too. I need all the help I can get. :P

Thanks 9's!

ForrestFunk
01-10-2005, 07:56 AM
be sure to have the latest patch(i think its 3339 right now) cause in one of them they have improved the loading times alot

01-11-2005, 11:19 PM
be sure to have the latest patch(i think its 3339 right now) cause in one of them they have improved the loading times alot

I'm cycling with everybody else so I'm pretty sure that's what I'm patched to...but I'll double check. :P

Thanks. :thumbs:

ForrestFunk
01-12-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm cycling with everybody else so I'm pretty sure that's what I'm patched to...but I'll double check. :P

Thanks. :thumbs:

its not necessary to have the latest patch...UT isnt sam ;) you can play on all servers, even with the "out of the box" game

Warhead
01-12-2005, 02:13 PM
its not necessary to have the latest patch...UT isnt sam ;) you can play on all servers, even with the "out of the box" game
I have to disagree on this point - servers patched with the most recent patches will not allow clients below a certain patch level to connect - I don't know the exact version offhand, but the information should be in the release notes for the recent serverside patches.

ForrestFunk
01-12-2005, 03:00 PM
ok, perhaps not "out of the box" but its not that client and server ALWAYS have to have the same version like in many other games.