PDA

View Full Version : Why some sports will continue ...

FUS1ON
02-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Why some sports will continue to shrink or even fail and yet NASCAR will continue to grow.

"It's a simple equation: The more other professional sports screw up, the more people love NASCAR." - Christine Brennan/USA Today
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2005-02-23-brennan-nascar_x.htm

It's a pretty interesting read. I think some of those pricks that run (or should I say ruin?) sports and even the stars themselves need to read it.

Mad Fox
02-28-2005, 12:20 PM
:hmmm: interesting

Pure_Evil
02-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Sorry Shogy, I just can't call it a sport. It's got its place, but a sport....

also, I watched the end of daytona, and I have to admit, the way every driver made sure they took a sip from thier sponsors soft drink for the camera was :rofl: watch everyone pimpin for corperate America :rolleyes:

Pro sports has taken a huge slide for sure, but watching the drivers try to wreck each other at the end, and teamplay determining the winner was a big turn off, don't worry, give NASCAR another 10-15 years and it will be a lot like the NBA

unforgiven
02-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Its not a sport...its raceing.....its called automobile raceing for a reason. Thur is no reason for a driver to be in shape...but they do need to have skill. Kinda reminds me of gaming in a way. The players can have the most skill in the world but all they do is sit on thur ass and use the skill....no health management in anyway. i am sure its hard to drive a car at 200 mph...but u dont have to be ripped to handle it u have to be skilled as hell though. so i will always see NASCAR as car raceing not a sport just like gaming as gaming and not a sport.

JIMINATOR
02-28-2005, 01:38 PM
lol, you are full of it if you think that nascar drivers do not need to be in shape. it is not just about the endurance to drive 4 hours straight (i guess you may do that on the highway) but really about the violent forces that are applied with every turn. You might feel/fight some g-forces taking a sharp turn at speed on a highway. for the nascar tracks, every turn is like that and it is magnified at the speeds that they go. Imagine gforces trying to throw your body out of your seat with every single turn. That is what they have to fight.

FUS1ON
02-28-2005, 04:50 PM
And not to mention that during that 3-4 hours of racing, they are sitting in 140 degree environment and lose anywhere from 12-15 pounds during that time. They train weekly and hire nutritionist to help with their diets. Today's drivers ARE athletes.

My favorite driver, Mark Martin is 46 years old with a body fat percentage of something like 7%, weight trains and does cardio like a friggin mad man just to be able to keep up with the "Young Guns" in the sport. Sadly this is his last year in the Nascar Nextel series, but has already won an IROC race in Daytona and dominated Sat. Busch race and I do mean dominated LINK (http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/bg/02/26/bc.car.nascar.busch.ap/index.html) against the young whippersnappers. In the Nascar series he is currently 3rd in points. :thumbs:

Is it a sport or not? Hmmm good question. The media calls it a sport so most peeps call it a sport, I guess. We all know the media has never been wrong,, right? :P Anyways, I believe it's a sport. It routinely sells out it's events that are held all over America which no other sporting events can claim to have done.

Heh even California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger chose to go to the races yesterday instead of going to the Oscars lastnight.

Die Hard
02-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Racing drivers are some of the fittest sportsmen.

BobtheCkroach
02-28-2005, 06:25 PM
My favorite driver, Mark Martin is 46 years old with a body fat percentage of something like 7%, weight trains and does cardio like a friggin mad man just to be able to keep up with the "Young Guns" in the sport. Sadly this is his last year in the Nascar Nextel series, but has already won an IROC race in Daytona and dominated Sat. Busch race and I do mean dominated LINK (http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/bg/02/26/bc.car.nascar.busch.ap/index.html) against the young whippersnappers. In the Nascar series he is currently 3rd in points. :thumbs:

Yeah! Mark Martin ROCKS! Go shogun! Sunday was a good day for Roush, that's for sure. :thumbs:

SPAWN
03-01-2005, 12:21 AM
lol, you are full of it if you think that nascar drivers do not need to be in shape. it is not just about the endurance to drive 4 hours straight (i guess you may do that on the highway) but really about the violent forces that are applied with every turn. You might feel/fight some g-forces taking a sharp turn at speed on a highway. for the nascar tracks, every turn is like that and it is magnified at the speeds that they go. Imagine gforces trying to throw your body out of your seat with every single turn. That is what they have to fight.

ROFL...umm dont the seat belts handle that. and i do believe ya with the whole endurance thing...having to hold a crap in for that long. I wonder if they wear dipers.
my view is the same as my bros. i like racing but i dont consider it a sport.

unforgiven
03-01-2005, 01:55 AM
thats why its called raceing......and not sport driving or something like that

Slice
03-01-2005, 02:29 AM
ROFL...umm dont the seat belts handle that. and i do believe ya with the whole endurance thing...having to hold a crap in for that long. I wonder if they wear dipers.
my view is the same as my bros. i like racing but i dont consider it a sport.
Do you consider Golf a sport? I mean look at some of the fat guys who play that game and need to be in no shape what so ever. (no offense to anyone overweight just trying to prove a point here) Funny how both Golf and Nascar show up in my green Direct TV menu as sporting events. It must be a conspiracy....

FUS1ON
03-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Do you consider Golf a sport? I mean look at some of the fat guys who play that game and need to be in no shape what so ever. (no offense to anyone overweight just trying to prove a point here) Funny how both Golf and Nascar show up in my green Direct TV menu as sporting events. It must be a conspiracy....

Ever have one of those moments when you read something and wish you had said it? Well it just happened to me, great post Slice!

Dan2
03-01-2005, 03:40 AM
Nascar drivers are motivated by a passion to compete in a race. Most athletes in other sports are motivated by the almighty dollar. This is the fundamental reason why Nascar has a HUGE and LOYAL fanbase.

unforgiven
03-01-2005, 03:50 AM
actually i dont consider golf a sport at all...its a game...not a sport

Die Hard
03-01-2005, 09:26 AM
I don't believe you guys are arguing over this :rofl::rofl:

Pure_Evil
03-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Nascar drivers are motivated by a passion to compete in a race. Most athletes in other sports are motivated by the almighty dollar. This is the fundamental reason why Nascar has a HUGE and LOYAL fanbase.
you've got to be kidding me. The more correct way to explain it would athletes in other sports tend to get corrupted by the almighty dollar. I'm sure Brett Farve and Jerry Rice play for cash :rolleyes: they hate the game I'm sure :rolleyes:

To say NASCAR driver don't care about the dollar is ludacris! I'll go back to my original comment about the drivers making sure they pimped their soft drinks on camera at Daytona, anyone else notice as soon as Gorden stopped, someone handed him a Pepsi for the camera? He got out of the car with it, probably pays someone to hand it to him.

They're in it for the $$$'s too folks, time to wake up. :eek:

Ra\/en
03-01-2005, 11:24 PM
im sorry, i dont find it fun to watch cars drive around in circles for hours....

Slice
03-02-2005, 12:30 AM
actually i dont consider golf a sport at all...its a game...not a sport
What you condsider as a sport is not relevant. These are classified as sports if you have a problem with it too bad. :) Did you know that Chess is also a sport? So is Ping Pong. So is Billiards.

Pure_Evil
03-02-2005, 12:38 AM
ping pong rules! :thumbs: :D

I've stood behind Jeanette Lee when she played, she's a athlete for sure :P :D

unforgiven
03-02-2005, 12:44 AM
DUDE pure i have to shes ****in hott...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for what i think is a sport....anything that has human running another human over with thur bodies is a sport....sex is a sport ;) nascar = racing

Dan2
03-02-2005, 02:12 AM
you've got to be kidding me. The more correct way to explain it would athletes in other sports tend to get corrupted by the almighty dollar. I'm sure Brett Farve and Jerry Rice play for cash :rolleyes: they hate the game I'm sure :rolleyes:

To say NASCAR driver don't care about the dollar is ludacris! I'll go back to my original comment about the drivers making sure they pimped their soft drinks on camera at Daytona, anyone else notice as soon as Gorden stopped, someone handed him a Pepsi for the camera? He got out of the car with it, probably pays someone to hand it to him.

They're in it for the $$$'s too folks, time to wake up. :eek:
I say most athletes. ;)

Drivers pimp their sponsers because without sponser $$ there is no way owners can field a car. The driver himself is not making the big bucks. Last year's Champion won $4 million for the year. This, he splits with the owner.

Nascar is the one who rolls in the cabbage with mega TV deals with NBC and Fox.