PDA

View Full Version : San Marino Commentary

::: DARK PSI :::
05-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Another well fought race by everyone. I am glad I chose to stick with soft compound tyres and not go with the intermediate due to the wet track at the start of the race. That kept me close and right behind Mike just enough to add the pressure so he was not relaxed. I got my break early on when Mike went off the track in the second sector. From then on out I was able to maintain a .5 to 1 second per lap faster which gave me a comfortable lead to put out some really fast lap times, including my 1:19:8. I must say though, for 4 laps having Mike right behind you by only a second, it quite nerve wrecking. I was just hoping I would not crack and make a big mistake. Luckily I ran a good race and made very little errors.

My strategy for the race was a 2 pit stop strategy with 12 Laps initial, 10 Laps 1st Stop, and 8 Laps Final Stop. The advice Eugen gave me on the tyre temperatures seemed to work wonders. Given my tyres were kept cool but yet warm enough to be sticky, they seemed to last A LOT longer than before. Which after 11 Laps and an almost empty tank of fuel, I was able to put out a great lap time. The temps I kept was around 95 degrees.. with the rears around 105-110. All remained pretty consistent.

It feels good be back in the standings and to have a good weekend not plagued by goofy gremlins in my car. :D My first checkered this season. YEA! :cool:

I cannot wait for Spain! :thumbs:

Homer.F1
05-02-2005, 09:52 PM
My race wasn't as smooth as Dark's but I was lucky to secure second place and maintain my lead in the Championship.:D Qualifiying went OK although my pole lap of 1.21.210 was about 1.7 seconds slower then I was laping in practice earlier in the afternoon. :eek: I had a two stop strategy as well although more conventional then Darks. I was fueled for 10 laps with 10laps at 1st pit and 10 at 2nd pit. I had a good start and had everyone behind me after the first corner. The wet track kinda messed me up a bit and I slid while braking and went wide and into the gravel at aqua minerale on the first lap allowing Dark to get by. I kept a decent pace for the next few laps only losing 1/2 sec to the leader but then I screwed up again and spun out losing about 10 sec. At this point Dark was up 13sec and things were quite ugly.:down: Luckily for me Marrello and F1 nut were screwing up royaly.:thumbs: They had a big shunt and that put them back 20sec from me. Basically that was the race for me, I gave up trying to catch Dark since the gap was so big and I was safe for 2nd. I drove like crap from then on, jumping through chicanes and watching the gap to Marrello. At the end of the race I was some 45sec from Dark but still second so I was quite happy to get 3pts instead of 1. Thank you Marrello and F1 nut.
There is one lesson I take from this race though. Don't drink and drive.:rolleyes: Next race I'll pick up some red bull and give Dark some competition.

05-02-2005, 10:18 PM
There is one lesson I take from this race though. Don't drink and drive.:rolleyes: Next race I'll pick up some red bull and give Dark some competition.

Ah crap not the red bull!!!!! I am toast!

F1nut
05-03-2005, 03:30 AM
After a mistake filled qualifying :down: I was hoping for a strong race, because of the blistering pace I was able to set in practice that morning of 1.19. + for more then one lap. However my tire choice at the beginning of the race was questionable at best (intermediates with 3 stops) :confused: and after a short but meaningful meeting with the wall on lap 2 which resulted in a loss of some sort of body work my race was over :bawling: .Not much more to say from there most of my time was spend mowing the grass and going to the pits for more trash bags. After Malaysia I was hoping to secure a win now im glad to get 1 point and put these 2 races behind. My season did not have the start I was looking for and I’m looking to “turn the corner” :thumbs:

F1nut
05-03-2005, 06:22 PM
I know what u guys think is F1nut peanut :confused: first he throws 1st place in Malaysia to “points depleted” Homer.F1 :down: and then i outdone myself and finish last in SanMarino? :bawling: What’s next? Monsoon tires on dry track?!!? :thumbs: Well let me try and explain my actions. When I saw that the track was wet I did not know haw wet so I took a chance that the rain just stopped and I could go out on intermediates and built some lead while u guys struggle on soft tires :thumbs: . My low fuel ( 3 stops ) combined with my tires should have given me the advantage in the opening 4 to 6 laps. As u guys know that was not the case and my race was over as soon as the lights went out :eek: . I could not catch up with Marrello and the fact that I lost some sort of rear wing on lap 2 did not help. Now I have to pickup my pace and NO MORE EXCUSES :mad:

05-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Ah all this anger is what helped me secure first in San Marino.. I felt the same way with the two mistakes I made in the last races. It sucks when it is not your driving that kills you but a simple little strategy mishap. I was a practicing fool for San Marino and it paid off. Now it seems I better get back into the cockpit and rev up my skills before Sunday.. you guys look like you will bring it fierce.

05-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey, have a few beers and whisky before the race.. it will help calm your nerves.. and mine! MU HAHAHAHAHA! :cool: