PDA

View Full Version : Curious

Die Hard
06-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Guys I just love the sound of this game. I wish I could participate but I just cannot fit a wheel into my PC space. Hard to believe I know, but sadly true.

Anyways, I have a few questions:

1/ What type of gear shift do you use? I'm assuming wheel paddles?
2/ Do you have traction control?
3/ How do the pits communicate with the drivers and what type of informaton can they volunteer for you?
4/ If you hit another car or barrier is the damage proportionate to the impact?
5/ If a real race is 72 laps, how many do you do?
6/ Who or what decides when a race will be held?
7/ Can you 'flat spot' your tyres and if so do you feel the difference?
8/ Is there a league of other players? There seems to be only 6 or seven of you guys playing. Can players from other leagues join yours and if so how are their existing points transferred?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just so hooked on this game and I've never even seen it. I don't even know what it's called? :o

SALvation
06-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I can answer a couple of those. The game is EA Sports F1 Challenge 99-02. Here are some answers:

1. I think we all have the Logitech MOMO Wheel which has paddles and a shifter, but most of us use the paddles.

4. We have car damage down to around 20% I think.

5. The races are 50% length of the real race.

6. Every Sunday night if we are available.

::: DARK PSI :::
06-02-2005, 02:17 PM
And here are the rest of the answers:

2. Yes there is traction control and you can turn it on and off as you drive.

3. Pits can continuously communicate with you depending on what you have setup. You can limit their feedback or have them tell you everything. They tell you thinks like placement on track, your fuel consumption, tyre wear, and even when certain drivers from other teams are coming in to pit. It is very helpful in the race. You have a lot of control also of your pit stops... so you can change items mid race like tyres.

6. We all decide together when the next race will be following right after we race the current track. Usually it has been on Sunday with a week in between. We are considering Tuesday now as well.

7. Yes you can, you can do pretty much anything to your tyres you can do in the real race. We do have certain mechanical failures shut off though cause it makes the game TOOOO tough.

8. We currently are the only league and are growing. We want to have 8 person grids with different difficulties for different leagues. Perhaps 3 leagues, one for veterans, one for moderate players, and one for beginners. Then the champions of each league can race.

Get the game.. it is cheap now and buy a MOMO wheel. Only $50 at compusa.com.

We have a room for another player in our league if you wish to try out.

Die Hard
06-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the quick and very useful answers guys.

Okay, I'm looking on-line now for the game. The price of the wheel really isn't the problem. As I say it's the space. Also, I'm concerned about the ping and lag I might experience in your server as I'm 5,000 miles away in the UK.

Well I'm going to look now. This is too good an opportunity to pass on so I'll come back soon and let you know what I get/find :thumbs:

Die Hard
06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
OMG the game is £47.99 thats like $86.

I've found one on e-bay and have put a bid in for £30. 2 days left. Off to find wheels now....

Die Hard
06-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Er, one more thing. Do you guys use pedals or is everything controlled from the wheel? [hoping it's the latter]

SALvation
06-02-2005, 03:25 PM
The MOMO wheel has pedals.

Die Hard
06-02-2005, 03:27 PM
The MOMO wheel has pedals.Yep I've bitten the bullet and just ordered one. £80 ($144) I hope it's all going to be worth it :o

EDIT: Please can you reserve me a place in your league? I will have everything ready to go by the middle of next week hopefully.

::: DARK PSI :::
06-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Yep I've bitten the bullet and just ordered one. £80 ($144) I hope it's all going to be worth it :o

EDIT: Please can you reserve me a place in your league? I will have everything ready to go by the middle of next week hopefully.
No problem. Just tell us when you are ready and we can play a little together to get you used to the game and our server.

Also you will need to dl the RH 2004 patch. Once you get everything up, I will tell you what you need to do.

Die Hard
06-02-2005, 06:32 PM
OK great. Thanks :thumbs:

F1nut
06-03-2005, 05:15 PM
The wheel is worth every penny The game is not worth that but I don’t think that there is a better one out there hope your ping is ok since this game has stinking online code.

U can play online there are plenty of people playing different tracks all the time. The time difference might be a problem also?? Hope u can join this is the closest we mortals can get to an f1 driving experience

Die Hard
06-03-2005, 11:35 PM
The wheel was delivered today to my home. Quick huh!

Unfortunately as no one was home and it wouldn't fit through my letterbox they took it away again. I have to go pick it up tomorrow from the Post Office.

The auction for the game ends tomorrow and at present I'm winning the bid at £32. I can go all the way up to £47 before it reaches the 2nd cheapest price I could find. Hopfully by Wednesday I should be all ready to go.

Die Hard
06-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Dammit I was out bid with seconds to go!! Oh well off to amazon...

BTW I've installed the wheel and it is groovy. Just need the game now.

SALvation
06-04-2005, 06:37 PM
While you wait download some racing game demos for that wheel.

Die Hard
06-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Well i bought a cheap rally game and although I'm sh1te the wheel is great :thumbs:

NightBreed
06-04-2005, 09:06 PM
:wootrock: Go DieHard !!! :wootrock:

Sounds like fun !! :thumbs:

FUS1ON
06-24-2005, 01:56 AM
EA needs to re-release this game to get the prices back in line. From what i've read this is a awesome game physics wise and beats the current competition handsdown, just wish it wasn't around $75-80 on eBay. :(