PDA

View Full Version : Any game show fans here?

TheMaster
08-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Particularlly, anyone here who's a fan of the classics (1970s and 80s), IE: Family Feud, Press Your Luck, Match Game, the Price is Right, $ale of the Century, Name That Tune?

I'm asking because I have a new petition going to bring one specific show back to the air, which ran from 1984 to 1990, then was briefly revived in 1993. It's called Scrabble.

Anyone familiar with it should know what I'm talking about. For those unfamiliar with it, Chuck Woolery was the host of the show, and it was based on the popular board game. (Though not nearly as many words were built :D)

The object was that two players competed to try to guess letters in words that appeared on a computer-generated Scrabble board. When it was their turn, a player drew two numbered tiles from the pile in between them, and fed them into a reader which revealed two letters. In each round, Chuck would give one letter in the word to start out, the number of letters, and a clue as to what the word was. Each round had one word to it. When a player goes, they can play a tile or try to solve the puzzle. If they try to play a tile, it will literally slide across the board trying to find its place in the word. If it's in the word, that player goes again. If not, then it's what was called a Stopper, and the player loses control of the board.

For each word there are three Stoppers, letters that are not in the word. If the letter cannot find a place in the word, it will explode and be replaced by a red stop sign, and one of three Stopper lights will be lit. If all three Stoppers are found, they go into Speedword.

When a player uses up both his tiles, he can draw two more from the pile. If at any time he thinks he knows the word, he can buzz in and try to spell it out. Correctly solving the puzzle will win the round. Incorrectly solving means you lose control of the board.

In the event that a letter lands on a premium space, a bonus dollar amount is added, assuming the player can solve the puzzle in that turn. Blue squares are worth an additional $500, red squares worth $1,000.

In Speedword, the remaining letters in the word are slowly revealed one at a time, and in random order. The very last letter would not be revealed, it is up to the players to guess it. The first one to buzz in and solve the puzzle wins the round. The first player to win three rounds wins the game and moves on to the Scrabble Sprint round.

In Scrabble Sprint, the player has 87 seconds to guess three words where he is given the number of letters and a clue by Chuck. The letters are slowly revealed like in Speedword. And if they can beat the previous champion's time, they will win a big dollar amount (don't really remember what it was).

The series was syndicated and ran on USA until October 1995, when it went off the air altogether, never to be heard from again. It was one of my favorites, and it ran for so long with such good popularity, that it's almost a mystery to me why they killed it. And that's why I have this petition going, to urge the Game Show Network to buy the rights of Reg Grundy Productions, and air the show again for good entertainment's sake. Anyone who thinks it should be brought back or the very least liked the show, are welcome to sign my petition here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/80sGames

Slice
08-20-2005, 05:14 PM
OMG, I am not going to read all that. I know of the show you are speaking of and I really didn't think it was that great. I liked the Gong show better. :P

TheMaster
08-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Gong Show? Never saw it. Though I hear it did have some great acts.

NightBreed
08-20-2005, 06:56 PM
I love watching the old shows on TVLand... :P Our local network used to carry black-and-white overnite, which was the really old shows from the 50's !! Hilarious !!

I remember a lot of the shows from the 70's from when I was a kid, and it's a trip watching the contestants go out of their minds with Bill Cullen when they hit the big grand prize....

A brand-new, 1973 Chevy Vega wagon !!! :wootrock: :wootrock: :funny:

TheMaster
08-20-2005, 07:00 PM
There was an episode of Press Your Luck that was on GSN today, and one female contestant had such a high-pitched voice, that whenever she landed on Big Bucks, I thought she was going to shatter the board! lol

And then surprisingly she won the game, and she was so loud and so high up there I thought I was going to lose my hearing.:eek: People can get so crazy on game shows sometimes. I guess that's part of why they were so popular.:D

solid snake295
08-21-2005, 02:26 AM
best ever! :D

http://www.letsmakeadeal.com/images/lmad-curtain.GIF

inakaotaku
08-21-2005, 10:22 PM
I love old game shows. The Price is Right has to be one of the best marketing schemes of all time.

TheMaster
08-21-2005, 11:21 PM
There is another great one I watch on GSN, the Match Game. I always find it hilarious watching the contestants trying to fill in the blanks. :D

BobtheCkroach
08-22-2005, 12:10 AM
There is another great one I watch on GSN, the Match Game. I always find it hilarious watching the contestants trying to fill in the blanks. :D

I was just about to post that my favorite one was The Match Game.

Do you ever watch Family Guy? There was a click where Peter had a flashback about the show and the main guy goes "here's your question. John was so forgetful that when he tried to remember my name, he drew a...blank"

Makes me die laughing everytime.

I liked "Lingo", too. Chuck Woolery, you are a tool. :D

TheMaster
08-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Chuck Woolery had many game show hosting jobs. You know he was originally the host of Wheel of Fortune before Pat Sajack came on? He also hosted Greed, Lingo (as you mentioned), Love Connection, Scrabble, and the Dating Game.

I think my top five favorite game shows are:

1. Press Your Luck
2. Match Game
3. Scrabble
4. Family Feud
5. $100,000 Pyramid

ME BIGGD01
08-22-2005, 05:32 AM
i think the time has passed for these kinds of shows. i think they just don't capture enough of a crowd today. how many people do you know that actually play board games today in their home? I can honestly say that there is no way a petition will work for such a thing. Now if you put a petition up to sign to take off all of these crappy reality shows off, i am there.:thumbs:

OUTLAWS Tip
08-22-2005, 06:27 AM
I'm not much of a reality show fan myself. Taste change, but the programing just evolves.

The Gong Show = I wannabee a star lol
:P

BobtheCkroach
08-22-2005, 08:15 AM
i think the time has passed for these kinds of shows. i think they just don't capture enough of a crowd today. how many people do you know that actually play board games today in their home? I can honestly say that there is no way a petition will work for such a thing. Now if you put a petition up to sign to take off all of these crappy reality shows off, i am there.:thumbs:

First of all, I still play board games. I'd honestly choose a game of Monopoly over any video game, any day. But that's beside the point. I think petitioning a normal, everyday network to play reruns of 70's gameshows would be a hopeless venture, but TheMaster's talking about petitioning The GameShow Network, which exists to play those shows. Honestly, at least 2/3 of the shows they rerun are from the 70s-80s, I would guess.

Good luck, TheMaster - here's hopin' you get it approved! :thumbs:

TheMaster
08-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Well if BIGG, Tip and I can agree on one thing, it's that today's reality shows are not all that great. But they are the biggest hit today, something I will never understand, and I doubt a petition will work in getting them all off the air.

See Bob you get why I have a petition going for the GAME SHOW Network. It's not the Reality Show Network, so why do they have shows on there like Extreme Dodgeball, the Amazing Race, and Ballbreakers? The Game Show Network has been, and is a network for game shows. And they're showing game shows from as early as Beat the Clock to more modern shows like Millionaire, Lingo, and Whammy. And I think Scrabble falls under the category of classic game shows.:thumbs:

Yes I still play board games too, that includes Scrabble, Chess, Chinese Checkers, Monopoly, and Backgammon.

inakaotaku
08-22-2005, 05:48 PM
I want to be either a gameshow host or a spokesmodel for a game show. What a sweet job that would be.