PDA

View Full Version : router problems again

Grimmy
02-07-2003, 05:27 AM
I hate not to use it. I love it for the firewall, and zone alarm is kewl, but since yesterday when I unhooked it, ZA has been going nuts, kicking my out of games because of alerts and all. I was so pissed today, I even called the number when I ran a whois, and of course they were no help. I called my cable co. because it was an IP from them, and they were no help either, they told me to shut down ZA, ain't going to happen.

The problem I have, I have to keep resetting the modem and the router. Like they quit talking to one another, reset them, and turn the puter on, all is fine for a while. Could this be a software issue?? The only software that I have installed the last week are realvnc and tightvnc. (Which I need to uninstall realvnc, don't use it anymore)

I don't know what else to do, I love the firewall on it, but I hate the fact that almost everyday I have to reset both of them. Any ideas and/or suggestions? :bandhead:

Diablo
02-07-2003, 05:29 AM
Blow it up :oooo:

Diablo
02-07-2003, 05:29 AM
Yea i have the dsame problem Grimmy i dont know what to do :(

ME BIGGD01
02-07-2003, 06:04 AM
uninstall zone alarm
make sure you have latest firmware installed on the router by going to the manufacturers site.
what brand is it??????
one thing is to manually set your ip in the router and dns . all you have to do is copy the info from the assigned dhcp and then assign it yourself.

use the ip forwarding.

also could be the cable service having problems as i seen this before.

assign ip addresses to your pc instead of using dhcp and set the system up with assigned ip.

change your net range ffor you local network. 192.168.1.1 right? try differnt

is someone messing with you? they can be causing you these headaches.

upgrade firmware on router ---i know but it's important and may fix all problems.

ck your system for viruses.

uninstall/delete network driver/card and reinstall it

ck to see what services are running which can be screwing you up.

ck to see if your cables are good. rg11 cable going into cable modem? is cable modem on a splitter? go to stronger splitter 1000mhz.

if you play games online enable port to specific pc with ip forwarding.

hope one of these helps but should keep you busy for awhile.

good luck.

Grimmy
02-07-2003, 06:11 AM
Thanks Bigg! It gives me somewhere to start. I also called D-Link (D-Link604 model) about it. They gave me some tips on what to check when it poops out on my again. They had me write down all the info, like on the wan side, the gateways and such, and when it happens again, he told me the order to which to ping them in, that way I can find out where communications stops, and that will help solve what is going on, if it is something with the router or something with the cable service.

Not sure is someone is messing with me or not. ZA picked up about 6 things (not sure if they were pings or what) but is said it was high risk, and it was from the same IP out east, like Pennsylvania or that area. Funny thing, was that they are on the same cable provider that I am on, I recognized the first few numbers of the IP address.

O well, hope it stops, and able to get things to work properly. :WTF:

ME BIGGD01
02-07-2003, 06:55 AM
ck to see if it's the cable company which constantly pings your cable modem. first try to update the firmware. download file and put onto a floppy. then gointo the router and look for the section to update firmware. there you can save your config also to your system.

Grimmy
02-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Feb 7 2003, 01:55 AM
ck to see if it's the cable company which constantly pings your cable modem. first try to update the firmware. download file and put onto a floppy. then gointo the router and look for the section to update firmware. there you can save your config also to your system.
Yup, I have the latest fireware, it is 2.10 and they have a beta 2.16 but they told me to wait before upgrading to that.

Even though that IP address was pinging me or whatever, he had close to the same IP, different subnet. Mediacom is huge and all over. This IP is like 1000 miles from me.