PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection

pepper
02-09-2003, 03:03 AM
I am thinking of getting a satalite connection because I can not get DSL or cable. My question is the satalite connection bad for playing games over the net. I know its not a streaming feed and sends all the info at once, but I was wondering if it would efect the reaction time on SS2.

Death-Dude
02-09-2003, 03:13 AM
You'd better read up on it somewhere reliable. I haven't read about that stuff in a while, but it seems that way back, they were seriously limited with upload. I hope I'm wrong about that, I well could be. But I'd try to find out about it ahead before making that investment.

Slash
02-09-2003, 03:43 AM
IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!! My nephew got it and it is great for downloading files but the way the client and server need to communicate in an online game does not work whatsoever!

pepper
02-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Slash@Feb 9 2003, 03:43 AM
IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!! My nephew got it and it is great for downloading files but the way the client and server need to communicate in an online game does not work whatsoever!
Thank you Slash, thats the response to my question I needed. I guess back to researching for another connection. :bandhead: :bandhead: :bandhead:

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Doesn't it use the dish to downloiad but it uploads through the phone lines?

Slash
02-09-2003, 06:34 PM
No it is totally wireless- at least the one I looked into was.

MR. SLiK
02-09-2003, 06:39 PM
my friend had it before dsl became available, even though he split the connection through like 3 computers, his speeds were only like 2 x that of modem.

Goober
02-10-2003, 01:49 AM
I have looked into satelite connection in case I move to my property out in the country where there is no cable or DSL....
The download speed is not bad, around 500kb...the upload is horrible it is between 56k and 128k but mainly closer to 56, and yes it is wireless...no phone lines needed. Now I am sure that the government spooks have something that would smoke these numbers but I bet it would cost a small fortune.
Not gonna move until I get cable service out there...only 1 mile away right now.

Slash
02-10-2003, 02:02 AM
It is not the speed that is the problem. It is the sat technology and communication that makes gaming terrible. This is a quote from Tweakmaster.com
A high-bandwidth, high-latency situation can be observed with many satellite-based Internet links. While the bandwidth may be as high as 768Kbits/sec, the lag time between clicking on a link or sending a command and actually receiving data back can be a second or more. This makes satellite Internet nearly useless for many online games, many of which demand a latency of less than half a second or better.

Death-Dude
02-10-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS The Machine@Feb 9 2003, 11:11 AM
Doesn't it use the dish to downloiad but it uploads through the phone lines?
I think they were like that at first, I remember a time when they had no upload. But, like Slash posted, they have apparently gotten beyond that, but still have a big latency problem. I could see it if you were in a remote place, and it was your best shot at broadband, but you'd be fodder in an arena.

pepper
02-10-2003, 03:01 AM
Its all I can get for now. I live 20 miles out of town and it doesn't look like there will be cable or dsl out here anytime soon. I have looked eveywhere today and there is nothing out there except satallite. I did come across something interesting though; if I was just 10 miles closer there is a antena based connection where one go get if they had friend willing to host them 24/7. So I have went with satellite for now until service becomes avaliable in my area. I guess this is one draw back to moving to the country in small town. Damn if I will ever get transefered again to a small town. They might as well shipped me to the north pole. With out SS I am going to be lost and bored with nothing to do in this hell hole...... So when my sat. gets here and I am not seen on the games anymore I wish everyone a good battle. Peace...................

FUS1ON
02-10-2003, 03:03 AM
Ouch :(

Grimmy
02-10-2003, 05:16 AM
are you talking wireless?? 802.11b or are you talking something like through direct tv?? I have had wireless, if they have there stuff going, it can be great, tech support sucked for me, but was good being 3 miles outside of town and getting high speed.

But due to the road I live on and the lovely cable company running the lines in front of my house, I live in the country and have a cable modem. Just one of those lucky things I guess.

MR. SLiK
02-10-2003, 05:22 AM
I think hes talking about DirecTV

Grimmy
02-10-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by MR. SLiK@Feb 10 2003, 12:22 AM
if that is the case, well it is faster then dial up, but don't expect to be conntected during snow or a rain storm, if it is anyhting like there cable tv.

pepper
02-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Grimmy+Feb 10 2003, 05:28 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grimmy @ Feb 10 2003, 05:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MR. SLiK@Feb 10 2003, 12:22 AM
if that is the case, well it is faster then dial up, but don&#39;t expect to be conntected during snow or a rain storm, if it is anyhting like there cable tv. [/b][/quote]
Yes I am talking about Directv (direcway). I live too far out for the wireless connection.

ME BIGGD01
02-11-2003, 05:00 AM
well most of you answered what i would of said so i just say hello.

also, i heard they were not offering the sevice anymore???

oneday the sattelite service will be perfected and will not need phone line.