PDA

View Full Version : Aries - The Host With The Most

Die Hard
11-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Aries invited me to spend a couple of days with him last weekend so as the fine, upstanding, pillar of society that he is how could I refuse?!

I decided to get the Euro Tunnel train to Brussels. (Some 40 kilometres from Aries home) These trains are fantastic. If you don’t know, they go through the channel tunnel from England to France, a distance of some 25 miles under the sea! So, you can get on a train in central London and be in Brussels (Belgium) in 2½ hours.

However, it wasn’t the best of starts. I had organised to leave work early on Friday so I could go home to get my bags and then have plenty of time to be in Waterloo station for check in to Brussels. You need (it said on the ticket) 45 minutes to check in because you have to go through customs, the x-ray machines etc. Just like at the airport. Well a meeting at work went on too long and in the end I had to ask everyone to leave and I still left 20 minutes later than I wanted to. I eventually arrived home, got my bags and drove another 35 minutes to a good station to get back into the centre of town. Then I realised I had left my mobile phone (the only contact to Aries) back at home. So, to cut a long story short I eventually and after a stress filled, foul mouthed drive and an equally stressful local train journey arrived at Waterloo station 10 minutes before the train departed. After much argument and protestation I got on the train with seconds to spare!!

So hurrah, I was on my way. I changed at Brussels and Aries met me at Ghent station, then he drove me in his Skoda Octavia (which I must eat humble pie and say that it is a great car with very stylish wheels) to a fabulous old Bistro/Bar. The food and drink was very good and cheap! The Bistro was full of character too. Burning log fires, stained glass windows etc. It used to a place for students to come and study while they ate. I had one of the best omelettes I can remember filled with mushrooms and bacon. Yummy!

Then we were off to his students beginning of year party. A room filled with 18-19 year-old guys and girls dancing, drinking and having fun. I met a couple of Aries friends too, Ralph and Daniel who were really nice people. I was even treated to the now infamous Aries dance routine. Man, can that guy move!!! So much so that all the students cleared a space and we all applauded him at the end.

We left the party at 1am to go to Aries house and start to play UT04. There were several people on the servers. A big hi to Caged, Frag, Stryder and the others who were on that night. Unfortunately my laptop had connection problems so I was unable to use it. But I learnt so much from just watching Aries and I’m now convinced that UT is the game to play.

We eventually got to bed at 4:15am, just a little tired!! Then we were up at 10, quick breakfast and off to Ghent for some sightseeing. Ghent was a real eye opener for me. A little heard of city that has so much to offer. It has fabulous architecture, museums, an opera house, an amazing Town Hall, Cathedral, a river with bars and bistro’s lining both sides. Lovely ornate bridges, huge, magnificent squares and the beautiful three towers of Ghent. I saw the university where Aries studied for his degree, the library that is also a tower. In this library you cannot go up into the tower, you have to tell someone which book you want and then they go and fetch it for you. Sometimes this can take an hour!!

We also sampled some great bars and I had one of the best beers in the world. For the connoisseur it is called “Trappist Westvleteren” it was superb and strong!!

Aries was a fantastic tour guide, He knew most of the history of the city and the buildings and was extremely informative. We walked around the streets and courtyards of Ghent for about 5 hours and at the end found a great Irish bar. I would recommend a visit to Ghent to anyone. It is a beautiful city with a rich history and culture.

Then it was back to Aries house for more UT tuition. He showed me how to make the dodges and explained all about the weapon uses. So watch out guys, I’m coming to a UT server near you soon.

Saturday night was also a late one and then we were up quite early on Sunday morning. We took the train into Brussels and had a quick tour of the Botanical Gardens and then back on the Metro train to the city centre. Aries took me to a place where they have been making the best Belgium potato fries in the world since 1879. They were fantastic!! Then it was too the south station where we sadly we said our goodbyes.

Aries will probably wince at me saying this but he and his mother were fantastic hosts. I had a truly great time and I feel very lucky to have such a good friend as Aries.

To the rest of GM. I’m sorry this went on too long and does not have the wit and humour of a Pathos story but it’s the best I can do. So bugger off!

Goober
11-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Sounds like one of those weekends that you remember forever. Thanks for posting, It's always great to finally meet someone face to face after several years of only online contact.
Can't wait to see you in the UT servers.

::: DARK PSI :::
11-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Nice trip.. but it sounds a little gh3y. Did you and aries sleep in the same bed too? :P

HAWT!

leon
11-08-2005, 12:33 PM
A wonderful story, you2. :thumbs:

I will surely visit Ghent someday too.

Die Hard
11-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Nice trip.. but it sounds a little gh3y. Did you and aries sleep in the same bed too? :PI can see how easy it is for you Michigan boys to confuse gh3y with culture. :P

Pure_Evil
11-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Great story DH! Yes, Aries is a great person to be around! I've been fortunate to meet many GM'ers and am always impressed! I can't wait to make the trip to Europe to meet some more and hang with Aries on his turf!

:devil: Can't wait to meet you in a server DH :D

Caged Anger
11-09-2005, 12:16 AM
it confused the heck outta me when you showed up on the server...gg all the same :D

Slice
11-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Nice story! :)

::: DARK PSI :::
11-09-2005, 02:07 AM
I can see how easy it is for you Michigan boys to confuse gh3y with culture. :P

No you are just gheyzor. :P

BobtheCkroach
11-09-2005, 05:08 AM
I can see how easy it is for you Michigan boys to confuse gh3y with culture. :P

No no, it's just him. Please don't lump all of us Michigan folk into the same category as Psi! :D

Not that I'm cultured, mind you...

DiTomasso
11-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Great story DH, nice reading :thumbs: . Aries is a great guy, superman.
Belgium hospitality:thumbs: :D

I missed out how it went with the Belgium female students

MassacreAL
11-10-2005, 07:31 PM
very good DH :thumbs: hmf, if my mother will agree ill be in netherlands during summer holidays. cant wait to visit beatiful nl country!!

MassacreAL
11-10-2005, 07:41 PM
i forgot tell you that ill work in stable with horses for two months. dont know if it will be good, my only contact with horse until now was in circus :hmmm:

OUTLAWS high ping camper
11-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Great story Die Hard, thanks for sharing it......any pics? :)

Die Hard
11-14-2005, 09:07 AM
any pics? :)Well I didn't take a camera.:rolleyes: Aries had one but we didn't take many pics i'm afraid :(

DiTomasso
11-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Well I didn't take a camera.:rolleyes: Aries had one but we didn't take many pics i'm afraid :(

:eek: :bawling: :bawling:

Thundarr
11-15-2005, 05:53 AM
No no, it's just him. Please don't lump all of us Michigan folk into the same category as Psi! :D

Not that I'm cultured, mind you...

No kidding, considering that I'm from the great metropolis of Grand Rapids... LOLOLOL But I do have to say there is more culture here than in the 'burbs...:thumbs:

Morpheus
11-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Wait till saturday, lol, ohio state shall pwn j00.

MassacreAL
11-15-2005, 09:35 PM
lol sounds like progamers are speaking here :D rofl

Aries
11-24-2005, 07:59 PM
A selection of quotes

then he drove me in his Skoda Octavia (which I must eat humble pie and say that it is a great car with very stylish wheels)

and I’m now convinced that UT is the game to play.

Ghent was a real eye opener for me. A little heard of city that has so much to offer.

I would recommend a visit to Ghent to anyone. It is a beautiful city with a rich history and culture.

more UT tuition. He showed me how to make the dodges and explained all about the weapon uses. So watch out guys, I’m coming to a UT server near you soon.

I personally enjoy the car quote :P

Hey DH how are your UT skills by now? Get in gear! :slammin:

@HPC
Here are the few pics we took (I finally managed to dig them up)

Die Hard playing ssam on my pc (UT training is top secret and thus not on film :ph34r:)

Some pics that DH took in Ghent from the Saint Peter's abbey...
you can tell that DH is in sales...look at how nicely he managed to frame that construction crane in the shot of the abbey :rolleyes: and the worker's shed in front of the door...
Madonna at the inside of the abbey church

@DiTo
Pictures of DH drooling over the girls at the party are not legal in several states ;)

Die Hard
11-25-2005, 09:00 AM
:p .

DiTomasso
11-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Nice pics A :thumbs: