PDA

View Full Version : wired AND wirless

Goober
02-10-2003, 11:44 AM
I am moving my office into the basement. Is it possible to run my cable modem to my router and from there to 2 computers in the same room, and then add a wireless (router, switch?) to this system so my computers upstairs can use the internet also? I want to keep my main computers hard wired for the speed. The other two computers are my daughters and a laptop for general use. I don't feel like running wires through the attic and down the walls.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
02-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Simply put, yes. You would want only one router, the one connected to the Cable Modem. You should be able to uplink to a wireless switch from the router. Sounds good in theory. Let us know if it actually works. :thumbs:

Fragetti
02-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Goober DOA@Feb 10 2003, 06:44 AM
I am moving my office into the basement. Is it possible to run my cable modem to my router and from there to 2 computers in the same room, and then add a wireless (router, switch?) to this system so my computers upstairs can use the internet also? I want to keep my main computers hard wired for the speed. The other two computers are my daughters and a laptop for general use. I don't feel like running wires through the attic and down the walls.
Yes very possible. You need a wireless bridge. I use a D-Link AirPro DWL-5000AP 72 megabit (get 56 meg around the house)(will depend on walls and other interference.) Just plug it in to any open port on your router and your ready to go. (you will need the wireless land cards for the computers you want) here’s the info

D-link (http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless/dwl5000ap/)

There are less expensive models but you will want all the speed you can get for your money.

Hard wire is the way to go :thumbs: :thumbs:

Goober
02-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Well thanks fellers....I looked at the 5ghz looks like it will be around 200-$229 to buy. Which brings up a question. If my internet connection is only 2 mbs download speed why would I want a wireless bridge that is 54 mbs? Does it make that big of a difference in gaming over a 22 mbs bridge? I could use the savings on a new CPU.

Fragetti
02-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Don't even think of playing games over wireless. :blink:

Relax on the back deck or at the pool and surf and chat. :thumbs:

Frag

Goober
02-10-2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks Frag...that helped make up my mind about which comps get the wireless...My gaming computer and work computer will be wired directly into the router. My daughters computer and my laptop will get the wireless....Thanks for the help.

Goober
02-15-2003, 07:53 PM
YAY....after a few (cough) dollers were spent and an hour and a half with tech support I now can use my laptop on the internet without a 50' cable attached to it, and I still have my main computer hard wired through my linksys router for gaming and stuff.
I tested my download speed at 30' from my DLINK and got 800kbs download speed. When it quits raining I may take it to my neighbors to see if it works over there.

Fragetti
02-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Is that a 22mega bit setup? Not likely you will get a conection from your neighbors house. :WTF:
Wireless is nice isn't it. :thumbs: