PDA

View Full Version : Using the Private Message (PM) Feature

OUTLAWS The Machine
02-14-2003, 03:17 AM
If you wish to contact someone, you can use the Private Message Feature. To PM someone you can click on the PM button at the bottom of one of their posts. Or you can click on their name anywhere on the forums and be taken to their profile and from there, under the Communicate section of their profile, you will see where to click to send them a PM.

To read your PMs, up in the top right corner of your screen you will see how many new messages you have. Just click on that and it will take you to your inbox. From there you can read and reply to your PMs.

You can also set it up so that a message will pop up and/or email you when you get a PM. To set it to give you a pop up message when you receive a PM click on My Controls on the top right of your screen then select Board Settings. Where it says "Do you wish to get a pop up notification when you get a new private message?" set it to yes. (Note - some pop up blocker programs might block this feature). To set it to email you when you get a PM, click on My Controls again and then go to Email Settings. Select the box where it says "Send a confirmation email when I receive a new private message" Then click on Amend my email settings.

The maximum size of your PM box is 100 PMs. This is the combined total of your Inbox, Sent Items, and Saved Messages. If your PM box reaches 100% full then you will not be able to receive any more PMs until you delete some. Make sure that you periodically delete your sent messages. When you are PMing someone you can select for it not to save a copy in your Sent Items folder by unchecking the box next to Add a copy of this message to my sent items folder directly under the PM that you are typing.

There is also a Message tracker feature that you can use to see if someone has read the PM you sent them. When you are typing a PM to send someone, simply check the box right underneath it that says Track this Message. In order to check the status of the message, go to your Inbox and on the left side select Message Tracker. Once in there you can see all the messages that you are tracking, if they have been read, and what time and date they were read on.