PDA

View Full Version : Elfen Lied

Gun Element
03-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Wow that was fast! In just an hour its up and running lol. So I guess Ill start it off with..

Elfen Lied was so badass. :)

Caged Anger
03-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Elfen Lied was an awesome anime...albet rather bloddy and gruesome :D

Only thing that ticked me off a bit (and this applies to just about all animes)
Is that they blatently leave some untied ends such as what happened to the company holding the others? What happened to her after she disappeared for so long.

Definately recommend

Gun Element
03-20-2007, 12:46 AM
*****SPOILER*****

The melody box was Lucy's memento of Kota, and it was Nyuu who was eager and enthusiastic towards fixing the clock, despite everyone being reminded that it's broken and will never work again. The melody box comes to a stop and the clock kicks into high gear. That's a sure symbol of death and rebirth if I ever saw one.

Lucy seemed to genuinely start to surpress or perhaps even purge her demonic tendencies at the end. You'll recall that in almost every single scene where Lucy was Lucy and not Nyuu, she was drawn so that one eye was always covered. Her demonic side first took over in that flashback where her mirror image had an eye covered in bandages. In her final encounters with Kota, when she's finally pouring her heart out, her face isn't hidden at all.

Also, recall that Nyuu hadn't completely forgotten all the memories of Kota that she experienced as a child. At the end of episode 6, after going into shock again and switching back to Nyuu, she remembers them playing in the water. She gets particularly sad whenever Kanae is brought up and wants to bring her back to make Kota happy again, especially later on. She learns more words gradually and they're almost always a direct result of her developing/recovering feelings towards Kota.

All of this together leads me to believe that it's Lucy/Nyuu at the door, but the personality would be that of neither of them, probably somewhere in between or mixed instead. Having the clock start up could be a symbol of maturity or growth, too.

All in all, I was very satisfied, even though the big picture (the fate of mankind and all that jazz) was never really dealt with. It was a character-driven series, and since all of the conflict between the main characters was resolved, and since it ended on a much happier note than I could have ever expected, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief when it came to a close. It's a happy, but not happilly-ever-after ending. It gives the viewer a reason to hope that things will turn out all right, and such a thing was definitely not present up until that very point. You've also got a great turning point to build off of should a second series or movie ever actually be produced.

What really made the show come together for me was how empathetic you can get for most of the characters. I haven't seen many serious anime series, and in most cases I'm entertained by but don't particularly care for the cast and the world they inhabit. Not so in this case. Even though Mariko only became a factor at the very end, and that seemed a little rushed, it was pretty damn hard not to get choked up when Kurama made his final decision.

And to those who I've seen criticize Kota's embracement of Lucy at the end, I say "feh" to them. I can honestly say that I probably would have done the same thing. He may never be able to forgive Lucy for what she did, but if he had shunned her then he would have only lost another person close to him and turned away somebody in desperate need of help and comfort, an action which would have been entirely out of character for him.

I've watched it all the way through twice now. It's kind of neat how a lot of inconsequential stuff in the first few episodes has more significance than it seemed at first glance (Nyuu breaking the seashell, for one).

Gun Element
03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Sorry, I thought about doing that, but I dont know how :P

FUS1ON
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Hit the Quote button in that post and you can see the code used to do that.