PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Help

He Is Legend
06-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey guys , I just recently got a new video card " eVGA Nvidia Geforce 7950GT 512mb" to replace my 7600GT .

But I have a problem , ok let me go ahead and explain it as best as I can . Well I just got the video card and im installing it into my PCIe16x. I go ahead and hook in the power to the video card ( note im using any random power chord that I see available to plug into the video card ) . Now when I start it up . everything seems fine . Except for a couple of things

When I start it up normally with my 7600GT , it will show the specs of the video card at the top left of my screen as soon as I start my computer up , When I put in my new video card it didnt do that . Maybe because its the first time i've put this card into my computer and it hasnt registerd via not being able to log on windows . Ok so now im just waiting for it to show the windows log in screen . so I see the screen that shows up right before " logging onto windows xp" and it just sits at this black screen . doesnt move doesnt do anything other than looking like it froze, so at this point im kinda confused so i cut my computer off and retry ... same thing happens , so i try to run it in safe mode , but on safemode before it starts it shows you these countless lines with Text on them showing you what safemodes booting up . and after a couple seconds of that the text will just go all over the place and it will freeze.. so i take out the video card blow the slot off and put it back in , i'm also moving around the MB memory trying to reset cmos somehow . ok anyway i try it AGAIN . this time the monitor wont even show signs of being connected to the video card . so im pulling my hair out at this point . so i put my memory back where it was and the monitor cuts on now . ( lol? ) so now its deffinatly just not going to the log on screen , no matter what im doing to it . so right now im currently using my old card , and everything seems fine to this point

the only thing different about the 7950GT and the 7600GT is that the 7950GT has to have extra power from the PSU

my 7600GT is just a straight hook in card, im really thinkin I just have the PSU chords hooked in wrong . or something

Any help would be GREATLLLY appreciated :)

EXEcution
06-07-2007, 10:44 AM
What is the wattage on your PSU?

Make sure the power cord that you are plugging into the card is intact. There could be several reasons for this afaik. Either the video card is shorted out and defective and you will need to RMA or it's your PSU.

He Is Legend
06-07-2007, 10:46 AM
What is the wattage on your PSU?

Make sure the power cord that you are plugging into the card is intact. There could be several reasons for this afaik. Either the video card is shorted out and defective and you will need to RMA or it's your PSU.

480 watts

It's deffinatly not the video card , He was using it not 2 weeks ago , and since then it's been it it's case . power supply is almost 2 months old now . cant be that

and yeah ill be fooling around with it all day after i get some opinions

thanks exe

OUTLAWS high ping camper
06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I think you need to go into "control panel" and uninstall your old video card, along with it's drivers, then shut down the PC and put your new card in, then install the new drivers for your new card.
Read the information that came with your card to see if it requires a specific "cord" coming off of the PSU. The last time I didn't hook one up right, I got a message saying it needed more power. What you are describing doesn't sound good. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Grimmy
06-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Another thing to check is make sure the fan is spinning on the vid card. I have found out that if vid cards get hot, they will shut down to save themselves, one time the card went bad, other time the fan quit working, but I could see stuff on the monitor for about 10 minutes before it would shut down.

He Is Legend
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Another thing to check is make sure the fan is spinning on the vid card. I have found out that if vid cards get hot, they will shut down to save themselves, one time the card went bad, other time the fan quit working, but I could see stuff on the monitor for about 10 minutes before it would shut down.

the fans are spinning just fine , card isnt really that hot

TurlockJC
06-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Lol I have the same card and i also upgrade from a 7600 too mine was a gs though:D Well I actually upgrade all my system :cool:

Anyways make sure the ps is 480 true power and at least 22 amps if you dont have that your card is not going to work. this card is going to need a lot more power than the 7600 gt.