PDA

View Full Version : What makes something anime?

inakaotaku
06-16-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm wondering if the new show Storm Hawks (http://www.stormhawks.com/default.aspx) on Cartoon Network counts as anime, anyone seen it? I mean, I know it's a Canadian show, but the drawing looks somewhat anime and the facial features sure are. What makes something anime, anyway? Does it have to be Japanese?

Gun Element
06-17-2007, 04:18 AM
Anime refers to Japanese animation. So, the rule of thumb is as simple as: if it's not originated from Japan then it's not an anime.

Asian Invasian
06-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Wouldn't you think anime is short for animation therefore anything animated is called anime?

Caged Anger
06-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Wikipedia definition

"Anime is an abbreviation of the word "animation". Outside Japan, the term most popularly refers to animation originating in Japan. To the West, not all animation is considered anime; and anime is considered a subset of animation." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime)

Dictionary.com definition:

"a Japanese style of motion-picture animation, characterized by highly stylized, colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sexuality." (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anime)

Whatis.com definition:

"Anime (pronounced AH-nee-may) is a term for a style of Japanese comic book and video cartoon animation in which the main characters have large doe-like eyes. Many Web sites are devoted to anime. Anime is the prevalent style in Japanese comic books or manga. In Japan, the comic book is a popular form of entertainment for adults as well as for younger audiences. Story lines are often very sophisticated and complex and extend into episodic series. Typical anime themes or genres include Ninja and other martial arts; the supernatural or horror story; the romance; and science fiction including robots and space ships. Foils for the main characters, including robots, monsters, or just plain bad people, often lack the doe-eyed quality.

Variations of anime called hentai and ecchai are sexually-oriented." (http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci211567,00.html)

Different websites, basically the same definition. The key to the difference between Japanese animation and the rest of the world's animation is that Japan chose to take cartoons to the next level. While they make a large number of children-targeted series, there is a greater number targeted at adults. Themes such as sex and sexuality would rarely, if ever show up in animation outside Japan. Just look at the shows "Cardcaptor Sakura" (Japanese) and its port to America "Cardcaptors". Almost 2 different shows as there were some elements in the Japanese version that were chosen to be excluded for PR reasons. This is nothing unique to that one show, there have been others. Yes, Anime is an abreviation of "animation", but it is generally understood as being animation originating from Japan that contains themes ranging from that of children to themes targeting an adult audience.

Gun Element
06-18-2007, 04:48 AM
Wouldn't you think anime is short for animation therefore anything animated is called anime?

Doesn't it feel awkward saying " Yea I watch anime, my favorite anime is spongebob squarepants". and also saying it the other way. "I watch cartoons, like Bleach" It just doesnt work :P (at least for the anime fan its just silly)

I dont know where Im going with this :)

PS: to me, storm hawks does not look like anime. At least from what I've seen :(

inakaotaku
06-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I talked to my Japanese friend and he said that all Americans call Japanese animation "anime", but that Japanese think of "anime" as ANYTHING animated. So, I guess it depends on your perspective. Anyway, anime or not I still love Storm Hawks... anyone else into it? New episode on today at 7.

Gun Element
06-20-2007, 07:29 AM
In its own way that does make sense, its like that saying.. "Theirs no wrong way to eat a reeses"

:D

inakaotaku
06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
My Japanese friend also said that in Japan the word "otaku" is horribly offensive - and no animation fan would self-identify that way, but here it's like being the uber-geek and a good thing to be. I thought that was funny. I liked Storm Hawks on Monday, it was a cute episode. Heh: “Aw, it was no trouble at all… except for the scorpion flies and the elephant heads.”

Gun Element
06-20-2007, 09:00 PM
My Japanese friend also said that in Japan the word "otaku" is horribly offensive - and no animation fan would self-identify that way, but here it's like being the uber-geek and a good thing to be. I thought that was funny. I liked Storm Hawks on Monday, it was a cute episode. Heh: “Aw, it was no trouble at all… except for the scorpion flies and the elephant heads.”

hmm thats nice to know. Intersting too :hmmm:

Caged Anger
06-21-2007, 02:21 AM
knew that, always the irony of how two cultures mash up :)