PDA

View Full Version : about had it

ME BIGGD01
09-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Not sure if any of you have ever experienced this or maybe it's happening and you pay no attention to it.

Todays Hard Drives should be pretty quiet but being lazy and working on everyone elses computer I have let this annoyance go far tooooooo long.

Problem system is sluggish and hard drive is constantly making noise. System has 2 gigs of ram and the hard drive appears to be getting taxed for something. I am a freak when it comes to one ounce of slowness and a bit ashamed I have let this go for over a month. I can pretty much sum up how a computer is suppose to run just by the specs and by far this machine is pissing me off.

Now I am going to ghost the image ove and even though this hard drive is probably good and needs a bios flash, I am going to destroy it.

I have tested it enough to realize there is a glitch some where but for the price of these things today I am not going to bother.

Anyone else experience this sort of thing before? Things like opening a web page and hearingthe hard drive go make noise. It seems like the cache in the drive or something not working. I can't tell you how frustrating it is but I notice a bit of a hang mainly when system is booting. Maybe head sensor is defective or something bit if you have a sataII drive it should be running pretty smoothly.

OUTLAWS Tip
09-17-2007, 07:40 PM
In 2000 I bought a IBM 40g 7200 hard drive on recommendations from some web reviews. 2001 I built a better system and went with the same hard drive. Well apparently later they had a lot of failures and they weren't recommended.

I noticed clicking on both of the drives but have had no issues. I got this system all backed up on an external drive so I am not worried. I never noticed any loss of speed or any other problems from the clicking. It seems that it happens at ramdom. Not sure what it is doing that makes the noise but my system is still running great for being 6 years old.

Still planning on a new system but waiting to see what AMD and Intel have coming in the next few months.

OUTLAWS high ping camper
09-17-2007, 08:38 PM
quote: Things like opening a web page and hearing the hard drive go make noise.
Yes I have experienced the same thing.
If I see a pic on the web, I want, I do a right click save, and save it to my desk top. The first time I do that, my hard drives fire up and make noise for about 5 seconds.

When I say noise, I mean like fans spinning, no clicking or grinding noises.

ME BIGGD01
09-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Ahhh those IBM drives sucked ass. The 82.2 gig drives were hell and you were screwed if you dud not have them in a raid 5 or 1. They would just go.

HPC, that's different in comparison. You are downloading files while I am getting slowness going page to page or site to site in the mean time hearing the hard drive sound like it's getting taxed. Naturally when you go to a website you get files sent to you temp folders on drive but this is not the case. I tested that along with the swap file and I get the same thing.

As for my drive it's a WD and it just makes too much noise when it should not be making any. I thought it was virus software pegging the drive or my defragging software but not the case. I will be using this thing for target practice next time I am upstate. It's definetly bugged and for 65 bucks I would rather not waste the time with the software to diagnose it.