PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2

FUS1ON
11-06-2007, 07:51 PM
There is a discussion going on in the Council section here and i'm interested in this game. I've watched a bunch of YouTubes and Trailers of it, it looks interesting and the system specs are pretty low compared to some other recent games.

http://www.whatistheorangebox.com/tf2.html

To those that have tried it, what is your opinion?
Likes, Dislikes?
How does it run on your system and post your specs?
Where can you get just TF2 the cheapest? (I just want TF2, not the Orange Box)
I've never used Steam to DL a game, I assume you DL the game and they email you a code, right? Can you backup the download?

$29 for TF2 only from Steam
http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=440

$49ish The Orange Box with several other games which I do not care about
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5903226
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646931

Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

BobtheCkroach
11-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Steam is the only way to get TF2 w/o the rest of the orange box.

FUS1ON
11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I was reading on Steam's site about you being able to access "your game" from different computer locations, do you actually dl the game from them or is it stored somewhere else and you access it with some software?

He Is Legend
11-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Team Fortress 2 is one of my all time favorite fps's

Great fun

BobtheCkroach
11-06-2007, 09:12 PM
You install the Steam client (less than 2 meg) on the machine and log in. From there, you can either download the game again, or, I believe you can "restore" the game onto the 2nd machine using the backup disc.

It should be noted, however, that this is for the game to be used at a seperate location, while the first is not being played. If you try to get 2 folks logged in w/ the same acct, playing at the same time, you'll get banned from Steam.

In order to have 2 folks do it, you'd have to have someone w/ a second login, and that login would have to have a copy of TF2 associated w/ it as well.

FUS1ON
11-06-2007, 10:35 PM
OK cool, I just wanted to make sure you could DL it and copy it, I wasn't really concerned about running two instances of at one time. I saw the thing about accessing it on different computers and figured it might be stored on their server and you accessed it somehow, but didn't understand how you could have custom items that way. I understand how it works now thanks to you.

PJ'l_Master
11-07-2007, 03:02 AM
yea, TF2 is the best FPS i've played since UT2k4

runs great, while having lots of character and quirks throughout

ME BIGGD01
11-07-2007, 03:19 AM
Is this game new or how old is it?

BobtheCkroach
11-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Is this game new or how old is it?

Came out a month ago.

FUS1ON
11-07-2007, 05:48 AM
I'm DL'ing it from Steam at a blazing 200 KB/s, i'm up to 3% so far wooohoo LOL

Wiper
11-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Will buy the orangebox I think, looks like a lot of fun :D. Fast gameplay for sure and a lot of specific characters :wootrock: (check some of the scout rushes on youtube btw :thumbs: )

Digital Fighter
11-07-2007, 03:17 PM
i will buy it later on steam...it seems so funneh :D

Wiper
11-07-2007, 06:59 PM
w00t w00t, bought it and will be delivered tomorrow :D

FUS1ON
11-07-2007, 07:09 PM
I had a spare minute to check out a few things this morning, but have not had a chance to actually play yet, but noticed there were like 2700 servers already. I need to get my real world stuff done so I can go play around some more. :D

Virus
11-07-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm gonna get it somehow. :D

Fifth
11-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Maybe I should buy it? :hmmm: Would be cool to meet all GameMeccians in 1 game. ;)

I hope my PC will run it. :eek:

OUTLAWS CHICO
11-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I hope that the cheats are left out of this game.
Looks fun but in the past I have purchased games just to have the people that wanted me to buy them not play them themselves.
Look forward to having a game that alot of old friends from SAM can get into.

FUS1ON
11-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Here's a great review on the game, 6 pages but they are short
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/10/10/team_fortress_2/1

One HUGE thing i'm liking about this so far is it's simplicity of controls, it doesn't take a bunch of buttons to control your player. Built in team chat is a big plus and when you get killed it shows you a freeze frame shot of who killed you and where they were located so you can go back and whoop da' ass. :D

Chico there is anti-cheat protection built in, but you need to make sure which servers have it turned on just like in most any game these days

Bingo
11-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Alright. I'll have to check this one out. Heh.

OUTLAWS CHICO
11-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Great on the anti cheat!!!!!! I went to Walmart and saw the orange box $49.95.

ME BIGGD01
11-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Wow this is looking positive here. You guys learn how to set up a server with this game and I will dedicate a system for you all. I will get the game within the next few days. Preparing for daughters Birthday Saturday and work has me pretty busy.

Hey Term, can my wife go with yours?:)

Pure_Evil
11-08-2007, 12:37 PM
{DS} should be running a server soon :D

BobtheCkroach
11-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Wow this is looking positive here. You guys learn how to set up a server with this game and I will dedicate a system for you all. I will get the game within the next few days. Preparing for daughters Birthday Saturday and work has me pretty busy.

Hey Term, can my wife go with yours?:)

I don't have a ton of experience w/ it, but I've played w/ the HL2 ded. server before (same engine that TF2 is built on) and it was very, very easy to work with. YOu actually download the same steam client, then install the ded server from "Tools". From there, working with it was very easy in my experience.

EXEcution
11-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Damn now since everyone else is playing it I must as well...

*Sigh. Now to search all of my pants for a spare $50.

Wiper
11-08-2007, 09:03 PM
....installing....

edit:
Kewl, people who already bought HL2 before can give a full version away (without TF etc. of course :D)

Wiper
11-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Dunno yet if it really got me :)

anywayz played a few games and got mixed feelings about it.

Started with some dull games (damn I miss some music then) but ended up in a crowded server 20+. It surprised me how much a character choice inflicts the game. At the moment I'm kinda overwhelmed (have been stabbed in the back more than once by a spy :D) realizing it will be a n00b start again for sure.

Kinda CS but with a lot more tactical possibilities and fast paced action.

Bingo
11-09-2007, 12:38 AM
I've installed it now. Good FREAKING GOD I forgot just how much I hate Steam. I've always avoided any Steam products like the plague. I can't tell you how much I hate that I have to connect to them to play a game I'VE ALREADY BOUGHT AND REGISTERED. Oh my god that pissess me off.

Can you tell it pisses me off? lol

Anyway, so after entering the damn product key like 6 times because it "couldn't connect to steam" I finally got it to run. Ran a few sceanarios as a private server with password just so I could get a feel for it. It's pretty cool. I wish they played up the humor side a bit more, since it's clearly pointed in that direction.

So far, I like it more or less. I'd love it if it wasn't a Steam product. :(

B

Wiper
11-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah I think I'm starting to like it :D

OUTLAWS CHICO
11-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Allright Wiper good game.

SASQUATCH
11-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Team Fortress

This game has great potential because the approaches of how it was implemented to play like Serious Sam, simple and direct. I think this game can be the next Serious Sam for GM when SS2 was played by many of the GM members. Impressive this game especially the Engineer when he would implement the teleportation and the building of the weapon to station it for protecting the area, plus more. This game I plan to get it and would be extremely fun with our GM members.

I give this game a Big thumbs up because of its simplicity and most importantly the potential of gathering people together to play this game in a blood bath war.

Wiper
11-10-2007, 12:04 PM
GG...Where's your icon?

Noticed that you must do that in the steam application the same for changing ur ingame name.

F5 to make a screenie for those who didn't know it yet :P (again a .tga file)

Bingo
11-10-2007, 01:20 PM
GG...Where's your icon?

Where's my Icon?

Right here.... :P ................................ And here..... :P

Wiper
11-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Where's my Icon?

Right here.... :P ................................ And here..... :P

K....send it or whatever and I'll help out :rofl: ( you bastard!!! :D)

Better create a section for it also then (took less time to create one for fear and oblivion :P )

FUS1ON
11-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Oh hell how did you do that? :D

I noticed there was a spray thingy in the settings, is that it?

EXEcution
11-10-2007, 03:37 PM

http://www.farscapegames.co.uk/ishop/images/1003/bingo1.jpg

Bingo
11-10-2007, 03:49 PM

Yeah. Go into options, then the last tab is multiplayer options.

Choose to import your spray tag.

I made up this one. It's half-arsed and done in MSPaint of all things. I'm sure a retarded monkey could do better, but hey.

If you want to use it, actually open up the thumbnail so that you get the 256x256 image, as it's required by the game to be that dimension. The thumbnail is only 200x200 so it won't accept it.

SASQUATCH
11-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Nvm. . . Lol

Suicidal
11-11-2007, 12:30 AM
No way it got its own part on the forum! SWEET

OUTLAWS CHICO
11-13-2007, 12:47 AM
So SHOGUN how's the game coming along for you ? You played it yet ?

FUS1ON
11-15-2007, 04:26 AM
I didn't have much time to play over the weekend, being away from shooters for almost 3 years sure makes you rusty.