PDA

View Full Version : I selected 2 movies for the month of Dec 2007

SASQUATCH
11-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I selected only 2 movies one for adults and one for a family type movie.

I picked these because I believe they will do very well and I look forward to it.

I AM LEGEND (2007) With Will Smith
Will Smith plays a Scientist and encounters a killer virus that can’t be stop and he becomes immune to it and there is more to it. Anyway I believe this movie will catch the eyes of many adults and I am hoping from what I read about this movie seems to be something to look forward to when it comes out in the month of December.

STARRING: Will Smith, Alice Braga, Salli Richardson, Charlie Tahan, Willow Smith

DIRECTOR: Francis Lawrence
STUDIO: Warner Bros.
RATING: MA
GENRE: Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller
RELEASE DATE: December 14, 2007

------------------------------------

THE GOLDEN COMPASS (2007)
Based on Philip Pullman's bestselling award-winning novel, tells the first story in the Dark Materials trilogy, which means we will be seeing more of it to come. I think this is going to be fun for the family with adventure, creative worlds and animals.

STARRING: Dakota Blue Richards, Nicole Kidman, Eva Green, Daniel Craig, Sam Elliott

DIRECTOR: Chris Weitz
STUDIO: New Line Cinema
RATING: Perfect for the family
GENRE: Fantasy
RELEASE DATE: December 7, 2007

:D

BobtheCkroach
11-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I Am Legend looked fantastic. I didn't have much interest in the Golden Compass.

What I'm looking forward to the most is "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" starting Jonny Depp.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0408236/

SASQUATCH
11-13-2007, 11:58 PM
I'll be going to the Golden Compass.

I think this movie is going to be a big hit especially for a family movie.

EXEcution
11-14-2007, 01:48 AM
I Am Legend looked fantastic. I didn't have much interest in the Golden Compass.

What I'm looking forward to the most is "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" starting Jonny Depp.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0408236/

That movie does look interesting. Tim Burton is a bit eccentric but his visual style as of lately is almost bar none. I don't really know how I feel about singing in such a dark version of The Count of Monte Cristo but I cannot honestly judge the film before I see it.

As for The Golden Compass; I had read the book many years ago and enjoyed it. I don't remember too many specifics about the book but from what I remember it wasn't overly "kiddy" at least compared to The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I'll probably be seeing the movie with my mom and brother. :thumbs:

BobtheCkroach
11-14-2007, 02:28 AM
That movie does look interesting. Tim Burton is a bit eccentric but his visual style as of lately is almost bar none. I don't really know how I feel about singing in such a dark version of The Count of Monte Cristo but I cannot honestly judge the film before I see it.

Is it based on the Count? When I first saw the trailer, I was thinking "Count of monte cristo" until it became obvious that it wasn't.

EXEcution
11-16-2007, 04:25 AM
Is it based on the Count? When I first saw the trailer, I was thinking "Count of monte cristo" until it became obvious that it wasn't.

Story lines seem similar except in one the protagonist becomes a count and in the other the "protagonist" becomes a homicidal barber.

BobtheCkroach
11-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Story lines seem similar except in one the protagonist becomes a count and in the other the "protagonist" becomes a homicidal barber.

From what I read on wikipedia, the guy that wrote the 1979 play that this is adapted from, borrowed heavily from the Count.

Apparently the original story, involving sweeney todd and Mrs. Lovitt is an old, old british myth or urban legend or whatever that may or may not have some form of historical root. The 1979 play added the plot involving him going to jail, and coming back and having a motive for the killing, as opposed to simply being homicidal.

Sexyjess
11-25-2007, 05:28 PM
both look really good
the golden compass seems a bit looklike as the movie narnia
i really wanna se l legend will take ages before we get it here -.-
next year ahgrr 25 januari

Zed
11-26-2007, 12:45 AM
American Gangster

SASQUATCH
12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
American Gangster

I was talking about December month movies that are coming out and only selected 2, one for adult and the other for a family type of movie.

American Gangster is out already try again and select what you think is going to do well for the month of December.

Death Engineer
12-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Just an FYI for the parents out there... The Golden Compass has a particularly antireligious theme. The author, Philip Pullman is quoted as saying, "My books are about killing God." I, for one, will not support such a film based on such statements.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

SASQUATCH
12-01-2007, 07:45 PM
If we would take any movie seriously or anyones input, then I would say we would probably not see more then 75% of the movies. There are many movies that are not good and to compare the unlike is like saying, better off not watching TV or movies at all.

FUS1ON
12-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Sas you obviously did not read what was written on Snopes ... the part about the movie being the hook to buy the books.

SASQUATCH
12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Sas you obviously did not read what was written on Snopes ... the part about the movie being the hook to buy the books.

I really don't care about what people write but only to enjoy a movie which isn't real but the animation and to educate my nephews about the movie that it is a fantasy movie not real and not get into politics or confrontation that has no pertinent to this matter and as for hook to buy the books, like I said only interest is the movie and my nephews are aware of this already.

This topic is very sensitive because there are over 1 billion Christian faith follows and that to me is one of many reasons why this topic has become controversial and for me I rather not get involved in something that only I feel would only disrupt what I came to focus on, and that is to see the movie nothing more.

BTW I did read it. Thx anyway

Death Engineer
12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Hmm. So if a movie came out that promoted murder and rape, but it did it in a way that was "fun" and "great for kids", would you go see it (and thus support those ideals)? Would you "enjoy" that movie?

Let me use Harry Potter as an example. I love the Harry Potter movies. I find them imaginative and adventurous. I would even recommend them to others. It doesn't mean that I necessarily align myself religiously with what is portrayed in those movies. I don't believe in magic, sorcery, dragons, etc. But when someone says the kind of things that Pullman has said (my goal is to kill God/Christianity/etc) and he's using these books/movies to acocomplish that goal, that's a very different kind of thing for me.

SASQUATCH
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Hmm. So if a movie came out that promoted murder and rape, but it did it in a way that was "fun" and "great for kids", would you go see it (and thus support those ideals)? Would you "enjoy" that movie?

Let me use Harry Potter as an example. I love the Harry Potter movies. I find them imaginative and adventurous. I would even recommend them to others. It doesn't mean that I necessarily align myself religiously with what is portrayed in those movies. I don't believe in magic, sorcery, dragons, etc. But when someone says the kind of things that Pullman has said (my goal is to kill God/Christianity/etc) and he's using these books/movies to acocomplish that goal, that's a very different kind of thing for me.

I think you are a bit taking it too far in what I mean and I would believe that I have a good sense of judgment when it comes to what you perceive to want to believe or thoughts. You can believe what you like and I respect it but please try not to muddle up my words or my thoughts or telling me that promoting murder and rape is as you so call fun etc. I also don’t need anyone to tell me certain values of life. I only said that my only interest is the movie nothing more and like the link you posted and I will repeat what your link said about seeing the movie.

“I don’t just generally dismiss a movie or book just because someone ‘says’ it’s meant to be something else…but this is worth knowing if you plan to see it(or plan to take your kids).”

This is probably the only statement I would consider only because I am not interested of what other people believe in and I understand that they may want to take action by not seeing the movie, which is their choice and with respect is all I have for them if they should feel this way but as for me I expect the same treatment and if not then there is nothing I can do about what others feel. I want to see this movie nothing more and not get into a debate about my values or about Pullman with you but I do thank you for posting it.

I can get into this subject much more deeper with you and point out a few things myself but I feel it is about a fantasy movie with excellent 3D animation that I plan to watch and I also understand that your belief are strong and with that I feel it is not necessary for me to go any further.

Sexyjess
12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
-.- why does always ppl have to argue over religions always :S

SASQUATCH
12-02-2007, 01:53 AM
-.- why does always ppl have to argue over religions always :S

We are not fighting just expressing our thoughts.

Btw I send you a link by pm that you will find fun to look into. :)

EXEcution
12-02-2007, 05:15 AM

It would be incredibly difficult if not impossible to market that type of film to children. If an adult can understand that the movie was promoting murder and rape then they would probably try to keep their children from seeing it and as we all know kids will be attracted to whatever their parents deem inappropriate for them. So the major studios would not even consider releasing that type of film to the theaters. That's not to say that movies like this don't exist but you would have a hell of a hard time finding one.

There are plenty of films that don't have a typical Hollywood "happy ending" or include a darker/subversive message relating to the government or religion. For example, V for Vendetta was originally published by Alan Moore, who is an anarchist, and he did not like the movie because it didn't voice his message like the graphic novel did. The Golden Compass movie may also have the same effect on Pullman.

When I read The Golden Compass in Junior High I do not remember coming across any anti-religious or atheist messages. I thought that it was a very interesting fantasy novel and nothing more. So I doubt that the movie would have had a different effect had it been released during or after the time I was reading the book.

In my opinion it is hard to kill God or His image by merely writing fantasy novels and kids could always miss the message or simply ignore it because of the Christian values that have been taught to them from birth.

A quote from Pullman "But I'm not in the business of offending people. I find the books upholding certain values that I think are important. Such as that this life is immensely valuable. And that this world is an extraordinarily beautiful place, and we should do what we can to increase the amount of wisdom in the world'."

SASQUATCH
12-02-2007, 05:20 AM
EXEcution thank you I just didn't feel like going into details on it because my interest was just to see the movie.

:thumbs:

EXEcution
12-02-2007, 05:31 AM
EXEcution thank you I just didn't feel like going into details on it because my interest was just to see the movie.

:thumbs:

NP. My main interests is to make sure that the people who read these forums understand that what other people post cannot simply be taken for granted. There's always a flip side to an issue.

Death Engineer
12-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Perhaps the rape/murder was a bit extreme. Anyways... my point is that despite what a film may seem, if the author/writer/director says their intent is to get some message across, I'm probably going to take them at their word. In this case, that message goes against my personal beliefs. Therefore, I won't be going to see it.

I am not trying to convert you Sas. Just wanted you to understand where I was coming from. I would encourage you to similarly "vote" with your wallet on issues which go against your own personal beliefs.

I can agree to disagree on the specifics. But going to a movie that THE WRITER says is expressly for a purpose with which your beliefs are in conflict would seem to make anyone doubleminded.

Now that I've beaten that horse to death more than once... Let me just say that I am looking forward to Steve Carrell's latest movie, Dan in Real Life.

EXEcution
12-06-2007, 09:49 PM
I can agree to disagree on the specifics. But going to a movie that THE WRITER says is expressly for a purpose with which your beliefs are in conflict would seem to make anyone doubleminded.

First off the script for the movie was not written by Pullman, it was written by Chris Weitz and I doubt that he stayed 100% true to the novel.

But even if Pullman managed to convince some of the younger audience, namely those who can coherently understand the implied messages that a movie is trying to convey, that there is no God but the world is nonetheless a beautiful place with good, righteous people then would you still have a problem with seeing the film?

SASQUATCH
12-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Convert is not the issue it was referring to muddle up my words by using that statement you express. I on the other hand will not covert you or anyone at all but only respect what others might feel on this sensitive issue. We are clear on that I am sure DE and will always respected your thoughts and beliefs.

I do thank you for posting that link it was worth looking into.

Nitro
12-07-2007, 01:37 AM
There are many films with spiritual overtones and there are also films with atheistic overtones. Freedom of religion is still a right in this country so I do not understand the big deal about people getting enraged. If you do not like movies that are promoting atheism and do not want your children seeing it, simply don't see the movie. Sure, it's being marketed cleverly so that children go see it but those with a conscience can use their logic and reason to determine the truth, whatever it may be.

I see the film takes place in a parallel universe...well hunny, you can't have parallel universes coexisting together if there was no Creator. Logic has failed this movie director. He should read some quantum physics books to see an architect must exist for all to be one.

In any case, the movie is pretty much good vs. evil with not much of the atheism in the books so it is not like the trilogy.

Death Engineer
12-09-2007, 05:36 AM
No one is enraged here. Just opposed to Pullman's ideals. As such, I won't put money in his pocket via going to see the film. Even if it's the best film of the year. Call me a prude, but if I don't stick to my principles, then what have I got left? It ain't like I'm a spring chicken anymore. ;)

In all seriousness, I think this thread took a drastic turn in the wrong direction probably as a result of my poorly structured example which was far too extreme. Consider this my apology.

SASQUATCH
12-10-2007, 12:13 AM
No one is enraged here. Just opposed to Pullman's ideals. As such, I won't put money in his pocket via going to see the film. Even if it's the best film of the year. Call me a prude, but if I don't stick to my principles, then what have I got left? It ain't like I'm a spring chicken anymore. ;)

In all seriousness, I think this thread took a drastic turn in the wrong direction probably as a result of my poorly structured example which was far too extreme. Consider this my apology.

No need to apologies DE buddy I pretty much know what you was trying to say and I am fully aware. I like what said about now that I've beaten that horse to death more than once... heheheh