PDA

View Full Version : No Country for Old Men

FUS1ON
11-28-2007, 04:37 AM
Website
http://www.nocountryforoldmen-themovie.com/

Various Reviews
http://www.google.com/movies/reviews?cid=b8c422007696297f&fq=no+country+for+old+men&sa=X&oi=showtimes&ct=reviews&cd=1

The actors were great and the lead guy Javier Bardem was perfect in his role, that dude was a relentless psycho in every sense of the word. The movie was pretty good up until a point and lots of things that make you go DAAAAAMN and then an event happened that changed the storyline from what I thought it should have continued on with and it ended up rather strangely to me. The movie ended and it was dead silent in the theater, no comments not nothing, i've never seen that before and I had this "Okay hmmm" feeling like what just happened? Is that the end? I'm not sure how to explain it really, it was strange.

I don't recommend seeing it at the theaters even though the critics seem to love it, but I find that I hate the movies they love. Wait to rent the DVD.

EXEcution
11-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I agree. The critics seem to go nuts when someone makes a "serious" movie as opposed to the regular Hollywood action, romance, and comedy flicks. I really liked the trailer for the film which made it seem like a great action thriller. The acting was top notch and Bardem player his villainous role very well. The way he spoke and his complete lack of compassion was chilling. I liked Woody Allen's short lived role as well.

The problem with this movie is that it took itself way too seriously. Granted, I haven't read McCarthy's novel of the same name but reading a book without any break for humor is much different from watching a 2 hour long film where there is virtually no break except for Tommy Lee Jones' little encounters. There were points where I had no idea of what Jones' was talking about (especially the end) partly due to his accent.

The Coen brothers may have pleased the critics with No Country for Old me but I think that they may have run away too far with their vision of a straight adaptation of a very dark novel that explores the grey area between right and wrong, good and evil. The ending was a bit of a letdown but it kind of made me understand the title a bit more clearly.

Like SHO said, rent and possibly watch on your own.

FUS1ON
11-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Exactly ... for practically the entire movie I wondered why the movie was named that and for like the last 15 minutes was the only part that was relative to the title.

I think you meant Woody Harrelson, not Allen ... Woody Allen would have died in the first 15 seconds :D

EXEcution
11-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Exactly ... for practically the entire movie I wondered why the movie was named that and for like the last 15 minutes was the only part that was relative to the title.

I think you meant Woody Harrelson, not Allen ... Woody Allen would have died in the first 15 seconds :D

LOL Yea I meant Harrelson. Allen wouldn't really fit in. :P

Furthermore, I remember that in the beginning of the film Jones talked about Sheriffs before him who didn't even carry guns but with the drug phenomenon that has taken over the country since crime has increased and gotten to a point where it becomes almost impossible to imagine that people are capable of such heinous acts.

SASQUATCH
03-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Pretty Good movie but I didn't feel it should have won best picture of the year.
Javier Bardem played his role well, but again best picture? No I don't agree at all.

I only watched this movie because it won best picture and I don't really like to watch violent movies.

Sexyjess
03-20-2008, 12:08 PM
it was ok movie but i wish it whould been hmm little more story in it but it was kewl