PDA

View Full Version : Very bad for the Buyers-A must read

ME BIGGD01
05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
You know through the years we the people have enjoyed the competition in every aspect of business. It keeps things fresh and causes the competition to come out with new products more often along with prices being smaller. That is until a company uses it's power to cheat the industry where as competition is no longer valid because we the people who are spending our hard earned cash lose out in the long run.

As you all know I have been an AMD fan since the K6 days. They have not always been the best products on the market but their prices have always been fair and allowed people to have a system at a much less cost. Back then though, most of time you would have to build a system with a K6 in it. WHy was that? It's simple the larger company would cheat and push away the competition by threatening the companies not to use the competitons solution. Ofcourse AMD was very small back then but still the larger company known as Intel prevented other comapanies to use AMD.

AMD came out with their first Athlon chip which was rock solid. Not sure if any of you remember this Slot A unit but it was a power house and rocked Intel. Knowing this, Intel pushed it's weight on everyone and used Anti-competition skills to force hardship on AMD. Back then you could hardly get a mother board that supported the slot a. ASUS was selling boards out of white boxes. The support was against AMD because of Intels threats which really hurt the industry and hurt the little company AMD. Intel used muscle it had and illegally did things that would allow AMD to sell inmarkets such as OEM's etc. If you ever wonder what the law suit is about between AMD vs Intel is, this is only the beginning.

Well AMD kept coming out with new technology and the company grew at a much slower process than it deserved. When the Athlon 64 came out, it stomped Intel for a few years which forced Intel to actually design or redesign it's strategy. To say it easier, the competition had to get off it's lazy ass. This is the point I am trying to make.

Now we have competiton in the video card department. This will even get hotter as Intel is pushing it's pwn technology. Right now though the real competition is between Nvidia and AMD/ATI. Now looking at the specs of both companies hardware, ATI has some pretty advanced technology in its cards. They will not outperform Nvidias core fore core but that in itself is really all not that true. If you have noticed the past few months, the prices of high end cards have dropped a lot. You can buy a card that runs any game at decent or great frame rates for 200 bucks or less. I thank not just ATI for this as they released the first card at a great price but am more grateful of the competition.

As a Fan I am not foolish. You will hear the term fanbois all the time but truth be told there is reason for such a person. Like myself I have reason to prefer a particular company over the other. It's never straight out of ignorance that I would buy a less of a product over something much better. It's not like I myself am not intelligent to realize what product will offer me more. I have always been a bang for the buck type of guy. Don't get me wrong though as I have my gripes with the company I have been supporting over the years and because of it I may even switch to the other side. I choose between either not only due to product or cost but I prefer over a company's practice in the market. I am all for what is better for the industry because in the long run it is better for you and me.

Now I am seeing this anti competion in the video card industry. We are all seeing it but I am unsure if many of you realize it. I know I have made comments when this first started to happen as well. You all know what I am talking about when you see the logo of a single company when you start a application or game. This is not good for us in the long run as the programmers or companies are choosing a side out of greed and pushing the other companies products. We are not just talking ads here either. Today we should not be forced to buy a product because they say it works better on any particular hardware. There are standards that have to be met and products should be sold based on the standards in technology. A standard such as Shader 3.0. 4.0 etc. If both companies have these standards and the software company is uitlising something that benefits only a particular company because of sponsorship etc, than this is bad and or anti-competive practice. In the long run we lose out. It may seem to those that own the product of the advantaged company now but in the long run if competition fades, you will notice the next time you need to purchase a video card the technology is not going to that much better and the prices are going to be much more higher. This I call cheating by these companies and it should not be tolerated at all.

Here is an example http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7355&Itemid=55

Now researching this it all comes down to those who own an ATI 3000 series card were getting great performance over the sponsor Nvidia. No Nvidia card at this time supports DX10.1. Because of the ATI cards out performing Nvidias on a game that pushes the best played with Nvidia crap, they are cutting out the DX10.1 support calling it a patch.

In the past Nvidia had the advantage here when shader 2.1 was available on all 6000 series nvidia cards. ATI did not have this shader until the 1000 series came to be. ATI's cards were faster than the 6000 series but the shader 2.1 in Nvidia's cards made the card better and run smoother in games. The point of this is the game had an option to disable the shader or play under shader 2.0. Do you see my point in where I am going here?

So now in todays industry we the people are being cheated. We go out and buy products that have better technology but we are forced not to utilize it by the bigger company who pays off other companies. This kills off competition because buyers will look to get the best experience in the system they buy or build. Truth be told that they would get a better experience if they bought the product with the best technology and did nt support the companies that practice this anti competive behavior. We must not allow any software to tell you what system to buy. If you feel different than buy a MAC.

In the end, we lose due to this. It should not be tolerated as it hurts the industry. People are being robbed and cheated here with this behavior. I am not against a company that offers programming support but I am against a company that pays for it because the competition gets cheated. I hope all people realize this and avoid any company that cheats like this. I will not buy from UBI SOft ever again and the Government should not allow these monopolistic practices. No cpmany should be allowed to have game be optimized over the other unless it was done for free or the same amount of optimizations should be made for all competition that support the hardware standards of the industry.

I hope some of you enthusiasts out there read this and post back your feelings regarding these issues. I honestly feel this is a problem we will all one day feel the true effect of if it is not taken serious.